southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
A lot of advertising by a certain windscreen company saying they can repair
a chip on the 'screen.
Over the years I have tried three times with different vehicles to get a repair done only to be told each time "sorry mate too big a chip, but we can fit you a new 'screen", even though to me it looked like a very small chip.
Is this a ploy to sell you a new windscreen or can they really fix a chip.
Have any funsters had a repair done? Just wondering..... :D

Deleted User
My wife had a chip repaired in her Citroen, it has not been a problem to date (about 14 months ago). I wasn't happy with the idea at first, however, soon forgot it was even there until your thread reminded me

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
Had two chips repaired last October, the larger of the two about size of a 1 pence coin, if you look really carefully you can spot them but very happy with the results. Normally covered free of charge under insurance, both mine were. Autoglass came to the site we were staying on and took about an hour i think.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Anyone had experience of DIY windscreen repairs. Having a large, probably not easy to get hold of screen, I wonder what I would do should a chip or crack appear when away somewhere home or abroad.
I've had chips repaired in cars very successfully without ever thinking about them afterwards.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Having a large, probably not easy to get hold of screen, I wonder what I would do should a chip or crack appear when away somewhere home or abroad.
Just keep driving and get it sorted when you get home.
Our A class screen had a crack and we must have done at least 2,000 miles before it was replaced.
Auto Glass turned up at home with the wrong screen and the fitter told me it was quite OK to keep driving and the crack wouldn't get much bigger. We went off on another bimble around France with no ill effects.

Richard.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I recently incurred the wrath of a flying stone on the M6 which gave me a crack (outside only) of around an inch. I went to Halfords (not usually my first choice!) and they repaired it for me explaining that I would probably still see the mark - something to do with the inside laminate of the glass sandwich - but that it would be sealed and wouldn’t grow - £25 well spent I think.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Chips can in most cases be repaired free through your insurance without penalty and replacement windscreen for a £50 to £75 excess which in my case for a £3,000 replacement was excellent lol.

soreeyes

Free Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T69L 2017
Exp
im a newbie
They can have problems if it is a C class with a top bunk as they might not be able to get the apparatus in under the overhang to repair a chip. I had that years ago on a Sprinter AT Moho .

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I had a flying stone hit the screen and when the screen repairer arrived, he had a card with a hole in it. If the chip was fully inside the hole on the card, then it was repairable, if not a replacement screen. It was repaired

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back