Windows update and Zone Alarm (1 Viewer)

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
It would appear the latest Windows updates have wreaked havoc all over the place.

I use Zone Alarm firewall which has always given no problems, this morning it was blocking everything in sight, even its own updates :Doh: That'll teach me to forget to disable the automatic windows updates on the lappy :RollEyes:

According to the Zone alarm forums the last Windows patch is doing more harm than good. Link Removed

It even made the Times! :Doh: Windows update leads to web black-out - Times Online

Don Madge

Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
It would appear the latest Windows updates have wreaked havoc all over the place.

I use Zone Alarm firewall which has always given no problems, this morning it was blocking everything in sight, even its own updates :Doh: That'll teach me to forget to disable the automatic windows updates on the lappy :RollEyes:

According to the Zone alarm forums the last Windows patch is doing more harm than good. Link Removed

It even made the Times! :Doh: Windows update leads to web black-out - Times Online

Hi Lindy,

Yesterday was an exciting day I scrambled my brain at least twice. :Eeek::Eeek:

It seems the problem was with windows update KB951748 and Zone Alarm.

This morning I'm up and running OK. :Smile: I've removed the problem update and
turned off windows automatic updates. :Smile:

I followed the instructions at ZoneAlarm SmartDefense Research Center

Don

OP
OP
L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
I wonder how many poor souls out there are still banging their heads on their keyboards totally oblivious to the "fix" procedure because they have no access to the 'net?

They will probably wind up paying stupid money to the local "Mr PC fixer" to come and sort their computers out :Angry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
They will probably wind up paying stupid money to the local "Mr PC fixer" to come and sort their computers out :Angry:

:Cool: You are right there. You would NOT believe the amount of money I have saved our non-PC-literate friends in Spain (and UK). :thumb:

Don Madge

Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
I wonder how many poor souls out there are still banging their heads on their keyboards totally oblivious to the "fix" procedure because they have no access to the 'net?

I could not get on line in the morning so I did a system restore to the previous day and got on line that way.:Smile:

Don

OP
OP
L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
:Cool: You are right there. You would NOT believe the amount of money I have saved our non-PC-literate friends in Spain (and UK). :thumb:

I would John.......and on RV related fixes too :winky: :roflmto:

OP
OP
L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
I could not get on line in the morning so I did a system restore to the previous day and got on line that way.:Smile:

Don

That is precisely what I did Don.........but sadly not everyone knows what to do. :RollEyes:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
More's the point, I blame Microsoft for slipping back to their sloppy old ways of not fully testing the patches prior to release.

The moral of the story is never to apply the patches on the release day.Always wait a week or so.:thumb:

OP
OP
L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Easy to say when you are "in the know" but not everyone is so fortunate :RollEyes:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
have I been lucky then, have zone alarm and updates on but ok, mind you did download two updates today so maybe tomorrow, mmmmmmmmmmm

gypsyrose

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Mid Glamorgan
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
30 years plus
Nearly had 40 fits this am when windows wanted to update ...but thanks to all of you (yesterday!) ..I knew the update ref no. to look out for and it wasn't one of them ....soooo..all went okish .....not sure what had updated automatically in early hours though and I DID experience problems (both 1st thing and later after updates that I allowed!).....:Sad:
Just to say how valuable your posts are on here ...I knew that if I had REAL probs then I could do a system restore.....not that I quite know how to do this on VISTA which is very new to me!! Thanks anyway!! Hope everyone safe and sound and WITH US!! :cry: Ana x

evans88

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
If you have Zone Alarm adjusted correctly to High and your computer has installed update KB951748 then categorically I can state that you will not get on line. Zone Alarm will work on Medium but, according to the Zone Alarm forum this is very dangerous.

Gypsy Rose. Don't forget to disable Windows Updates: otherwise the same problem will recurr. Can't tell you how to do this in Vista.

Regards.

Last edited:

gypsyrose

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Mid Glamorgan
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
30 years plus
Evans88 ...no, the advice re doing away with windows updates did not (for me, who knows nought!) work...!! :ROFLMAO:
Still "frit" here ....lol!! (not sure if anyone else is familiar with this odd tense of frightened!!!" ) :cry:
Not sure at all that I want to dispense with any windows updates...don't think I do..??
Had difficulty shutting down this am ...said there had been a "violation"( sp!!) at this address.... total PANIC!! Scared!! :Doh:

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Turned on the computer here at work this morning and had a visitor so was away from the screen when I return Automatic windows download had nearly finished :Doh::Doh:not sure what it was though!! The computer then restarted itself and promptly froze:Sad::Sad:

So I thought that I had big problems so in desperation I manually shut down and restarted and hopefully seems ok now:thumb::thumb:

Still very very slow as I am in a portacabin in the middle of a yard no broadband available so on dialup only:Sad:

On Widows XP Home version 2002

Regards Pat

Last edited:

Don Madge

Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
If you have Zone Alarm adjusted correctly to High and your computer has installed update KB951748 then categorically I can state that you will not get on line. Zone Alarm will work on Medium but, according to the Zone Alarm forum this is very dangerous.

Regards.

This is the latest info Link Removed from the Motorhome List. :Smile:

Don

gypsyrose

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Mid Glamorgan
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
30 years plus
JSW ...tried to thank you TWICE now (mean it, lol!) .:winky:
I do really mean to say thanks!! New technology and ME do not mix and it scares me!! On the good side, I am still here ....:ROFLMAO:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
JSW ...tried to thank you TWICE now (mean it, lol!) .:winky:
I do really mean to say thanks!! New technology and ME do not mix and it scares me!! On the good side, I am still here ....:ROFLMAO:

:Smile: You are welcome. Only too happy to help anytime. :winky:

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Linda, I guess that's all you needed together with everything else!!! Its seems to be an issue with Zone Alarms firewall - I stopped using it some years ago as I found too many little unhappinesses with other programs fussing about it.

Firewalls can really cause havoc - quite often they are the problem with problematic internet connections and there isn't a perfect one out there!!

I've had all the recent updates and so far no issues with wireless or wired Internet connections.

I use Sygate Personal Firewall which is also free and seems stable with most programs.

How's the wireless problem doing BTW???:Eeek:

Laurie

Digger Driver

Free Member
Oct 4, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I don't like Zone Alarm!
It always caused problems on my PC!
Irritating little program!
Wouldn't touch it with a bargepole now!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I use Sygate Personal Firewall which is also free and seems stable with most programs. Laurie

hi Laurie,
just had a look at Sygate and it appears to be owned by Norton and we all know how norton slows everthing down and is impossible to remove.

john.

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
I would agree the best firewall is Comodo. AVG 8 has been a pain for me so I now use Avira Antivir. I also use SpyBot search & destroy.

OP
OP
L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Linda, I guess that's all you needed together with everything else!!! Its seems to be an issue with Zone Alarms firewall - I stopped using it some years ago as I found too many little unhappinesses with other programs fussing about it.

Firewalls can really cause havoc - quite often they are the problem with problematic internet connections and there isn't a perfect one out there!!

I've had all the recent updates and so far no issues with wireless or wired Internet connections.

I use Sygate Personal Firewall which is also free and seems stable with most programs.

How's the wireless problem doing BTW???:Eeek:

Laurie

Hi Laurie

I USED to use Sygate but swapped it for Zone alarm but I can't remember why....there was some problem or another with it :Doh:

I haven't even attempted to rectify the wireless issue yet what with all this cr@p flying about with the windows updates......plus I can't get near the lappy with Beanie off school :cry:

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
16 minutes to download then it tells me an error has occured and cant install :Angry::Angry::Angry:
i'll stick with AVG8

AVG8 is an antivirus program, Comodo is a firewall. You need both (antivirus & firewall). Spybot S&D is the topping. Any questions please do ask.

Jon

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
I've set my PCs to download the windoze updates automatically, but NOT to install them without my doing it after the download prompts me - that way you can check via Custom Install if you really want it to install. I also wait a few days after release before installing to avoid just such scenarios as this latest update seems to have caused.......Microsoft had a bit of a name for not checking updates carefully before release some years ago, looks like the same old story again!!:Sad:

At least Beanie's got the laptop on a long wire, other imagine the fur flying for the PC!! They go back to school around September Linda, don't they? So not long, don't stress :ROFLMAO:

I keep looking for the perfect (totally bug-free) firewall......:Eeek:

Laurie

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back