Windows update and Zone Alarm

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
It would appear the latest Windows updates have wreaked havoc all over the place.

I use Zone Alarm firewall which has always given no problems, this morning it was blocking everything in sight, even its own updates :Doh: That'll teach me to forget to disable the automatic windows updates on the lappy :RollEyes:

According to the Zone alarm forums the last Windows patch is doing more harm than good. ZoneAlarm User Forum - ZoneAlarm User Forum

It even made the Times! :Doh: Windows update leads to web black-out - Times Online

Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
It would appear the latest Windows updates have wreaked havoc all over the place.

I use Zone Alarm firewall which has always given no problems, this morning it was blocking everything in sight, even its own updates :Doh: That'll teach me to forget to disable the automatic windows updates on the lappy :RollEyes:

According to the Zone alarm forums the last Windows patch is doing more harm than good. ZoneAlarm User Forum - ZoneAlarm User Forum

It even made the Times! :Doh: Windows update leads to web black-out - Times Online
Hi Lindy,

Yesterday was an exciting day I scrambled my brain at least twice. :Eeek::Eeek:

It seems the problem was with windows update KB951748 and Zone Alarm.

This morning I'm up and running OK. :Smile: I've removed the problem update and
turned off windows automatic updates. :Smile:

I followed the instructions at ZoneAlarm SmartDefense Research Center

Don

OP
L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
I wonder how many poor souls out there are still banging their heads on their keyboards totally oblivious to the "fix" procedure because they have no access to the 'net?

They will probably wind up paying stupid money to the local "Mr PC fixer" to come and sort their computers out :Angry:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
They will probably wind up paying stupid money to the local "Mr PC fixer" to come and sort their computers out :Angry:
:Cool: You are right there. You would NOT believe the amount of money I have saved our non-PC-literate friends in Spain (and UK). :thumb:

Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
I wonder how many poor souls out there are still banging their heads on their keyboards totally oblivious to the "fix" procedure because they have no access to the 'net?

I could not get on line in the morning so I did a system restore to the previous day and got on line that way.:Smile:

Don

OP
L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
:Cool: You are right there. You would NOT believe the amount of money I have saved our non-PC-literate friends in Spain (and UK). :thumb:
I would John.......and on RV related fixes too :winky: :roflmto:

OP
L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
I could not get on line in the morning so I did a system restore to the previous day and got on line that way.:Smile:

Don
That is precisely what I did Don.........but sadly not everyone knows what to do. :RollEyes:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
More's the point, I blame Microsoft for slipping back to their sloppy old ways of not fully testing the patches prior to release.

The moral of the story is never to apply the patches on the release day.Always wait a week or so.:thumb:

OP
L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Easy to say when you are "in the know" but not everyone is so fortunate :RollEyes:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
have I been lucky then, have zone alarm and updates on but ok, mind you did download two updates today so maybe tomorrow, mmmmmmmmmmm

Jun 22, 2008
Mid Glamorgan
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
30 years plus
Nearly had 40 fits this am when windows wanted to update ...but thanks to all of you (yesterday!) ..I knew the update ref no. to look out for and it wasn't one of them ....soooo..all went okish .....not sure what had updated automatically in early hours though and I DID experience problems (both 1st thing and later after updates that I allowed!).....:Sad:
Just to say how valuable your posts are on here ...I knew that if I had REAL probs then I could do a system restore.....not that I quite know how to do this on VISTA which is very new to me!! Thanks anyway!! Hope everyone safe and sound and WITH US!! :cry: Ana x

evans88

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
If you have Zone Alarm adjusted correctly to High and your computer has installed update KB951748 then categorically I can state that you will not get on line. Zone Alarm will work on Medium but, according to the Zone Alarm forum this is very dangerous.

Gypsy Rose. Don't forget to disable Windows Updates: otherwise the same problem will recurr. Can't tell you how to do this in Vista.

Regards.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
Mid Glamorgan
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
30 years plus
Evans88 ...no, the advice re doing away with windows updates did not (for me, who knows nought!) work...!! :ROFLMAO:
Still "frit" here ....lol!! (not sure if anyone else is familiar with this odd tense of frightened!!!" ) :cry:
Not sure at all that I want to dispense with any windows updates...don't think I do..??
Had difficulty shutting down this am ...said there had been a "violation"( sp!!) at this address.... total PANIC!! Scared!! :Doh:

Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Turned on the computer here at work this morning and had a visitor so was away from the screen when I return Automatic windows download had nearly finished :Doh::Doh:not sure what it was though!! The computer then restarted itself and promptly froze:Sad::Sad:

So I thought that I had big problems so in desperation I manually shut down and restarted and hopefully seems ok now:thumb::thumb:

Still very very slow as I am in a portacabin in the middle of a yard no broadband available so on dialup only:Sad:

On Widows XP Home version 2002

Regards Pat

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
Jun 22, 2008
Mid Glamorgan
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
30 years plus
JSW ...tried to thank you TWICE now (mean it, lol!) .:winky:
I do really mean to say thanks!! New technology and ME do not mix and it scares me!! On the good side, I am still here ....:ROFLMAO:

SMC Motorhomes Newark
RoadPro
Johns Cross
Safeguard Motorhome Insurance
Rhino Installs
Friendly professional service from qualified technicians
Free Club Stickers
Dave Newell Leisure Vehicle Services