Free Member
Feb 23, 2017
Feltwell
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2017
I am trying to update to 1903 but every time I try installing it gets stuck at 60%. I get the message Windows could not configure one or more system components. I've tried everything I can find on the MS site but nothing works. Any Ideas?

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
There are known cpu usage and search issues with KB4512941. Worth holding off for a day or two.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I've tried on and off for the last month or two to update to 1903 on one of my laptops and it gets to 90odd % and fails both in automatic update and manual update modes. After trawling tinterweb the only suggestion now is to do a clean install. Had been thinking of doing that anyway but perhaps MS should stop just throwing out new functionality and getting the fixes right with updates!

On a separate topic it seems Google have extended their Chromebook software support from 5 to 6.5 years from date of unit build.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
"One of the most recently discovered issues is the Windows Search feature causing some PCs to slow down after updating.

On affected machines, the SearchUI.exe process for the Windows Desktop Search app causes spikes in CPU usage. Microsoft says the only devices affected are those where searching the web from Windows Desktop Search has been disabled. It estimates it will roll out a fix for the issue in mid-September.

When it comes to longstanding Windows 10 1903 issues, some PCs are still affected causing subsequent Windows 10 updates to fail to install, with the message "Error 0x80073701" or "Updates Failed, There were problems installing some updates, but we'll try again later".

Microsoft is still working on a fix and says it will "provide an update in an upcoming release".

Another old issue is affecting some Surface Book 2 PCs, Microsoft's flagship laptop-tablet convertible PC.

The problem only affects Surface Book 2 laptops with a discrete Nvidia GPU, which sell from $1,700.

Since installing the update, some owners of Surface Book 2 PCs have reported the Nvidia GPU periodically disappears from Device Manager, causing applications with modern 3D graphics to struggle to run or fail to open.

Despite being aware of the issue since July, Microsoft says it is still investigating a fix for the problem. Owners of Surface Book 2 who already upgraded to Windows 10 1903 are recommended to revert to an earlier version of Windows 10."

Sourd: Tech Republic

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I'm no expert but sometimes it's the simplest things that cause problems. How much spare memory have you got? Windows 10 is a memory-hungry b----r and it's updates are the same. Sounds to me that you've not got enough memory, both in RAM and on your hard drive which, as you may or may not know, is also used as an overflow memory store during operations. If Windows cannot download enough to process the update it will obviously (to me) fail.

I have just updated a 5/6 year old laptop to the latest version and it took all afternoon and into the night (I left it and went to bed!) but it completed without any warnings.

It's also possible that your hard-drive is failing. Last week I had a worsening problem involving startup and shutdown on my fairly rapid desktop which I couldn't get my head round. Eventually I decided to try a clean install after ensuring all my data was carefully stored on external drives when I discovered that the 4TB portable drive I was using as the system backup had failed. Unplugged it, Windows went into Automatic Repair mode and all is now fine.

The excessive CPU use is all down to Cortana - I never use it, in fact have disabled it - but there is supposed to be a fix "coming".

OP
OP
Norfolk Nomad

Norfolk Nomad

Free Member
Feb 23, 2017
Feltwell
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2017
Quick update on the now fixed update problem, hopefully it will help someone trying to update to 1903.
The problem was with the machine keys, stopping the update, It would not let me delete these, even when logged in as an administrator. I had to move the folder to the desktop then create a new folder also named machinekeys as this folder was now empty I was able to update. Everything is now working fine.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back