scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Just like busses.. wait for ever then two come along :roflmto:

No intention of upgrading , from what I've read it's designed for tablets and using the Microsoft 'cloud' , signing into it each time it boots up. So, no real benefit (for me) on a laptop without a touch screen..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
As with all Windowz releases, it's best to wait for the updates to be released. I looked at it last weekend when getting Eddi her new laptop but, from what I could see it would be better suited to a touch screen machine. should you have any bespoke / old software or periferals - printers etc - then you would need to ensure that it will work with the new OS.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
As with all microsoft Os's I never ugrade until the first Service Pack has been released. Usually odd releases are crap even releases are good.

Think 95, 98 (Good, Bad)
Think 2000, Me (Good, Bad)
Think XP, Vista (Good, Bad)
Think 7, 8 (good, ???)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Here is a good in depth review and verdict Geo Link Removed

The upgrade cost is the most reasonable one I can remember from Microsoft

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
i had a play with it the other day at a product demo for our new gizmos

Got to say...was mightily impressed, it was running on a tablet PC and was quite slick. This wasn't the polished version either it was a pre-release product and build

As is normally the case with these things...there will be bugs - there are too many variations of hardware and software out there to get it right!!

so if you are doing an upgrade of your own system - it might not be as slick as it could be - option there is to do a clean install.

But if you are buying from new...it could well be impressive...but expensive:Eeek:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
As with all microsoft Os's I never ugrade until the first Service Pack has been released. Usually odd releases are crap even releases are good.

Think 95, 98 (Good, Bad)
Think 7, 8 (good, ???)

Windows ME, that ws the biggest crock of poo ever, what was wrong with 98?

No intention of migrating at the mo..

OP
OP
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks

i DONT THINK HIS (Karls) WORDS GEL WITH HIS EXAMPLES:Eeek:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005

I agree windows ME was as bad as Vista....

98 was crap. They had to release the SE version to fix all the problems.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
You forgot NT. NT was good.
NT was a separate family. It wasn't until Windows 2000 that the consumer and server versions shared a Kernel if my memory is up to snuff.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
NT was a separate family. It wasn't until Windows 2000 that the consumer and server versions shared a Kernel if my memory is up to snuff.

Both owed much to the work with IBM on early versions of OS/2 - but NT was still good ::bigsmile: We moved from 3.11 to NT at work, wouldn't touch 95.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
i DONT THINK HIS (Karls) WORDS GEL WITH HIS EXAMPLES:Eeek:

How do you mean? Windows 95 was good, windows 98 was crap. On top of the well documented Plug and Pray problems there was the integrated IE4 which caused no end of desktop glitches and crashes. I also had problems driver and with my laptop on 98 not waking up and I ended up going back to 95. I didn't upgrade after that until XP came out. I did however have 2000 on a desktop which was a breath of fresh air.

Have I missed one as I am only going from memory of what I used/hated/skipped.

95 Good
98 Bad
2000 Good
ME Bad
XP Good
Vista Bad
7 Good
8 ????

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Both owed much to the work with IBM on early versions of OS/2 - but NT was still good ::bigsmile: We moved from 3.11 to NT at work, wouldn't touch 95.

I Loved OS/2 Warp. It had a lot in common with the Amiga OS which I was a programmer for at the time. I was about to move to OS/2 when the crap hit the fan:Doh::cry:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
This was the first "windows" program I used, though it wasn't windows, it was called GEM from the DR Dos people. Thought it was fantastic, much better than a dos prompt :roflmto:

290px-Gem_11_Desktop.png

OP
OP
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You say odd no's are crap then give 95 as good
You say even are good and give 98 as bad

Think 95, 98 (Good, Bad)
Think 7, 8 (good, ???)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I'm sure I still have some software up in the loft which runs on Gem. Information engineering workstation software that was cutting edge in the late 1980s/early 1990s. Superb tools to use.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

The good ones never seem to be consecutive they always seem to have dog or two between good versions. I thought 2000 was good, XP was superb and I resisted moving to 7 but when I did I found it was great. If my theory is right 8 will be a dog, wait for 9::bigsmile:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I'm sure I still have some software up in the loft which runs on Gem. Information engineering workstation software that was cutting edge in the late 1980s/early 1990s. Superb tools to use.

Found a reference. . Like most CASE tools the code generated was inefficient rubbish (though it did work) but the analysis tools were superb and design tools weren't far behind either.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005

Suppose you have me there. I was coming from a different direction though :roflmto:

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
OSX is Unix in a new glistening sweet wrapper! Don't be decieved by the hype. The core code is so close to Android you wouldn't believe it!

A potted history of the two families of Windows:

Desktop:
3.1 - Ok Gem was a competitor.
3.11 - Great (in its day but 0S/2 was better)
95 - release 2 was good.
98 - Buggy
98SE - Stable and good.
ME - Dreadful
Then joint development with below from XP.

Server / Business:
NT (4 was the most stable) Equivalent to 98
2000 Equivalent to ME but also came in a 'pro' desktop version.
XP /Win server 2003. Equiv to XP.
Vista (Awful) - Server 2008 Excellent
Win 7 Superb.
Win 8.

Been playing with the beta 8 for several months. It's as fast as 7 IMHO, but is a very different way of working. Great with touch, unconvinced on a normal desktop especially as it may mean retraining staff. Everything we tried to run has run with great stability. A couple of issues arround Active Directory though.

If I was buying a lappie or today I would buy it with 8 and hopefully with a touch screen. I suspect the Surface and the other tablet / keyboard hybrids will wipe the traditional laptop from the face of the earth within a couple of years. The pure tablets will remain up market toys, but the new devices will be a godsend to those that need IT on the move for business.

Hope this helps.

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
[HI]OSX is Unix in a new glistening sweet wrapper! Don't be decieved by the hype. The core code is so close to Android you wouldn't believe it![/HI]

A potted history of the two families of Windows:

Desktop:
3.1 - Ok Gem was a competitor.
3.11 - Great (in its day but 0S/2 was better)
95 - release 2 was good.
98 - Buggy
98SE - Stable and good.
ME - Dreadful
Then joint development with below from XP.

Server / Business:
NT (4 was the most stable) Equivalent to 98
2000 Equivalent to ME but also came in a 'pro' desktop version.
XP /Win server 2003. Equiv to XP.
Vista (Awful) - Server 2008 Excellent
Win 7 Superb.
Win 8.

Been playing with the beta 8 for several months. It's as fast as 7 IMHO, but is a very different way of working. Great with touch, unconvinced on a normal desktop especially as it may mean retraining staff. Everything we tried to run has run with great stability. A couple of issues arround Active Directory though.

If I was buying a lappie or today I would buy it with 8 and hopefully with a touch screen. I suspect the Surface and the other tablet / keyboard hybrids will wipe the traditional laptop from the face of the earth within a couple of years. The pure tablets will remain up market toys, but the new devices will be a godsend to those that need IT on the move for business.

Hope this helps.

Maybe so, but it works and works well.

If you think Windows 7 is superb then you are easily pleased.

Pete:Cool:

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
After 30+ years in the business, I think we'll agree to differ. You didn't have the terrible hassle of recovering two different crashed iMAC's in the last month. But of course, Apple's never crash the just "Stop responding". Yea .... pull the other one.:Eeek:

As for 7 being superb, I'm talking about system stability and performance which is light years ahead of Vista and much better than XP. In my support role it has substantially reduced the user support requirement. They have to try very hard to break it.

Mac's make up less than 1% of our estate and the stat's don't lie when they take 18% of the total team support effort!

PS: I'm not Micro[STRIKE]shaft[/STRIKE]soft lover. It's just that they let you lift the bonnet to sort out the engine (If you know how).:winky:

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
have just asked my man if we should upgrade...his reply was "Give it 5 years and we will see if its any good".

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
After 30+ years in the business, I think we'll agree to differ. You didn't have the terrible hassle of recovering two different crashed iMAC's in the last month. But of course, Apple's never crash the just "Stop responding". Yea .... pull the other one.:Eeek:

As for 7 being superb, I'm talking about system stability and performance which is light years ahead of Vista and much better than XP. In my support role it has substantially reduced the user support requirement. They have to try very hard to break it.

Mac's make up less than 1% of our estate and the stat's don't lie when they take 18% of the total team support effort!

PS: I'm not Micro[STRIKE]shaft[/STRIKE]soft lover. It's just that they let you lift the bonnet to sort out the engine (If you know how).:winky:

Totally agree, Windows 7 is the best thing Microsoft has done to date. I use it on my Laptop because I am forced to I would prefer to have linux though. It has been extremely stable. I can't remember the last time it crashed... In my support role I get more requests for support from Mac users than windows users though and the problems tend to be hard to resolve.

I am just pricing up a new system with the following spec. quad core i5, 16GB memory, 128GB SSD. Total price is just over £400. I don't even want to guess how much it would cost me to get a Mac with that spec... So Apple is off the menu as I am not paying for a label/brand...

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
I want a tablet but am waiting to see what the Surface Pro will offer with the new chip. :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back