LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
anyone tried the chrome OS, just seen a Samsung laptop advertised with it on, claims never to slow down and boots in 10 secs?

From Wikipedia
Google Chrome OS is a Linux-based operating system designed by Google to work primarily with web applications. The user interface takes a minimalist approach and consists almost entirely of just the Google Chrome web browser; since the operating system is aimed at users who spend most of their computer time on the Web, the only "native" applications on Chrome OS are a browser, media player and file manager. This means that Chrome OS is almost a pure web thin client OS.
Bargepoles and avoidance of touching spring to mind ::bigsmile:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Jim's note touched a chord with me!

I know this isn't quite as bad as the W8 saga but ask Trikeman or anyone who knows me - I'm not patient with tech.... I gladly gave my laptop back when I retired and I occassionally used Sues thereafter, always caused a row because of the language I used ( :shout: b*?!!**y microsoft etc etc :Angry: ).

In the end I bought and iPad, downloaded the manual but.......never read it - most intuitive bit of tech I'd ever used, brilliant. :thumb:

Then whilst we were travelling through France in late October they updated the operating system: Signal 5 days of trying to battle variable ether to get apps to work and icloud to sync. - and then dealing with improved functionality that to me was different but largely unnecessary... :Sad:

Conclussions? Two really

1. [HI]Programmer nerds don't generally think in the same way the rest of us do - ergo what is intuitive to them ain't to most of us.[/HI]
2. The rest of us, once we've learned something, can get quite distressed at having to relearn and make something work that worked fine before, especially if the process doesn't offer any obvious advantage.

Now? Well........ I keep thinking I used to like the old op-system on my iPad but now I'm used to the new one I can't quite remember why............ :Blush:

Have Fun

Barry

The main problem is that these days the nerds aren't programmers, just script kiddies using code generators. Real programmers are thin on the ground (except in North Wales of course :roflmto:)

Designing something with the end users involved at all stages to ensure that requirements are properly defined, building the thing properly and actually bothering to test it before release all cost money.

Having said that, as I said before I like Windows 8 ::bigsmile:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Personally I hate windows 8 and the update - we have 2 units on windows 8 and they will rot before they wear out because no one can get their head around it and avoid using them - we have wasted more time and money trying to understand it than the computers are worth. I can understand me or the wife not getting on with it - we are fully paid up members of the old farts brigade but when grandsons start to complain how useless it is I know we are not far wrong.

Apparently it is not bad on an Ipad or a phone but not on a working business computer. A few years ago Microsoft launched another rubbish with operating system Windows Vista I think this only lasted a few months before they brought out another version quickly to save their name. I suspect that this will happen with Window 8 as people loose faith and move away.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Personally I hate windows 8 and the update - we have 2 units on windows 8 and they will rot before they wear out because no one can get their head around it and avoid using them - we have wasted more time and money trying to understand it than the computers are worth. I can understand me or the wife not getting on with it - we are fully paid up members of the old farts brigade but when grandsons start to complain how useless it is I know we are not far wrong.

[HI]Apparently it is not bad on an Ipad or a phone [/HI]but not on a working business computer. A few years ago Microsoft launched another rubbish with operating system Windows Vista I think this only lasted a few months before they brought out another version quickly to save their name. I suspect that this will happen with Window 8 as people loose faith and move away.

Window 8 on an iPad or iPhone.......?
That would be an "interesting" marriage....:RollEyes:

Think you mean on a Windows based tablet or phone...

Windows 8 is actually ok... imho.....

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Sat here again & another day gone.,with the new Laptop [Lenovo] for my Wife..., trying to work my way around Win 8 Can't even sign in for email & explorer without having an MSN account ??
Never had one & don't want one. Even Ebay comes up in segments- Buy Sell Watching etc.
CAN I DO SOMETHING [ANYTHING] SIMPLE TO HAVE IT OPERATING ON WINDOWS 7 SYSTEM ??

Be kind & simple for me I am NOT a computer Nerd !:cry::Doh::Angry:
Please help :thumb:

I bought my daughter a new laptop at the weekend. Windows 8.1 pre installed.
She has no MSN account.

I had her up and running in 10 minutes.
Google Chrome was the first thing installed as a browser as I do not like IE. Then dumped the Norton AV software and installed Avast...

She just logs into her e-mail as she did with every other version of Windows. No MSN account used
:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
1. Programmer nerds don't generally think in the same way the rest of us do - ergo what is intuitive to them ain't to most of us.
Barry

Actually it is us programmer nerds who struggle the most with how W8.1 is supposed to be used. We will typically run 20 programs and once and need several of them on screen at the same time.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Sat here again & another day gone.,with the new Laptop [Lenovo] for my Wife..., trying to work my way around Win 8 Can't even sign in for email & explorer without having an MSN account ??
Never had one & don't want one. Even Ebay comes up in segments- Buy Sell Watching etc.
CAN I DO SOMETHING [ANYTHING] SIMPLE TO HAVE IT OPERATING ON WINDOWS 7 SYSTEM ??

Be kind & simple for me I am NOT a computer Nerd !:cry::Doh::Angry:
Please help :thumb:

You can buy Windows 7 and install that. However, you are under the misapprehension that you need a Microsoft account. That is completely optional. You can still use local accounts.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I ditched Windows in favour of Apple in 2005 and never looked back. Problem is we have Windows 8 on a couple of tablets and laptops in the house
When ever they need fixing, I get the same feeling I have when a dentist appointment looms!
I get so frustrated working on them, my opinion is that it just isn't a very well worked out system for productivity, but ideal if you like constant tinkering.
Windows v Apple OSX. A bit like a classic car versus a new car.

Allan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
By attempting to integrate telephones/ tablets/ laptops and desktops
with 1 operating system Windows 8 designed to work for all platforms..........Microsoft have given us the worst of all worlds.

Bad thinking.........bad implementation.

barry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back