Windows 8/Hotmail - problems? (1 Viewer)

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
I was wondering if anyone else had been experiencing problems with their computers today? When into Hotmail the page stays on for about 15 seconds only, then goes back to the page with all the icons on it (START page).
Don't know if we've got a bug or not, have tried shutting it down and re-starting but it's still giving problems.
Just wondering if it's our laptop:Sad:

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Not had any probs today Margaret, though not been into Hotmail yet.

Whenever I have had problems with Hotmail I go onto the website 'Hotmail down' - yep, a website that tells you if there is problems with Hotmail, when, what and for how long - just eases the mind before throwing laptop out of the window:roflmto:.

Try that, they may have probs again.

Regards,

Trikeman.:winky:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
When into Hotmail the page stays on for about 15 seconds only, then goes back to the page with all the icons on it (START page).

I'm assuming that you are accessing Hotmail through a browser (Internet Explorer?). I had similar problems with the Virgin Media web mail a couple of years ago which was caused by a bug in their code which didn't work properly with certain settings in IE. At the very least the code should have trapped an unexpected condition and issued an error message but it didn't. It could be a similar problem. The easiest fix was to stop using IE and switch to Firefox :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Not had any probs today Margaret, though not been into Hotmail yet.

Whenever I have had problems with Hotmail I go onto the website 'Hotmail down' - yep, a website that tells you if there is problems with Hotmail, when, what and for how long - just eases the mind before throwing laptop out of the window:roflmto:.

Try that, they may have probs again.

Regards,

Trikeman.:winky:

Hi Trikeman,
Thanks for your re-assuring message::bigsmile: This is a new Lenovo G780 and it's driving me round the twist........if my nail touches the mouse pad accidentally it causes things to vanish before my eyes:Angry:

Last night I was replying to someone and the whole message vanished as the page flew up the screen, I was so angry..........:Doh: Will have a go at what you suggest, but so far I'm not impressed by Windows 8, I'm finding it really hard to get used to. But we never had such problems like this with the old desktop.
Margaret::bigsmile:

OP
OP
MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
When into Hotmail the page stays on for about 15 seconds only, then goes back to the page with all the icons on it (START page).

I'm assuming that you are accessing Hotmail through a browser (Internet Explorer?). I had similar problems with the Virgin Media web mail a couple of years ago which was caused by a bug in their code which didn't work properly with certain settings in IE. At the very least the code should have trapped an unexpected condition and issued an error message but it didn't. It could be a similar problem. The easiest fix was to stop using IE and switch to Firefox :Smile:

Hi Graham, thanks for you reply, we do use Firefox.........the problem only started today when I :Angry:went into it today, it was showing "Installing updates 1 - 10 don't switch off your computer". After that Hotmail was only staying on for about 15 seconds before going back to the Homepage with the icons/apps on it.

It's ok with other websites, but just a problem with the Hotmail.
Hope it's not a bug, the last one we had after I'd been on a website looking at photos of Fieldfares. A message flashed up in the middle of the page then quickly disappeared. We could only stay on any page for 15 seconds before the screen went black. It took our son who works in IT ages to remove it:Sad:
Margaret

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hi Graham, thanks for you reply, we do use Firefox.........the problem only started today when I :Angry:went into it today, it was showing "Installing updates 1 - 10 don't switch off your computer". After that Hotmail was only staying on for about 15 seconds before going back to the Homepage with the icons/apps on it.

It's ok with other websites, but just a problem with the Hotmail.
Hope it's not a bug, the last one we had after I'd been on a website looking at photos of Fieldfares. A message flashed up in the middle of the page then quickly disappeared. We could only stay on any page for 15 seconds before the screen went black. It took our son who works in IT ages to remove it:Sad:
Margaret
I don't think it's a virus (different from a bug :Smile:)

If it has started happening after a set of updates it could well have something to do with one of them so uninstalling one or more (especially if one is for Hotmail) might solve it.

I use Eudora e-mail client software rather than any webmail services, and don't have a Hotmail account so I'm afraid I don't know what else to suggest.

OP
OP
MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
I don't think it's a virus (different from a bug :Smile:)

If it has started happening after a set of updates it could well have something to do with one of them so uninstalling one or more (especially if one is for Hotmail) might solve it.

I use Eudora e-mail client software rather than any webmail services, and don't have a Hotmail account so I'm afraid I don't know what else to suggest.

Hi Graham, many thanks for your reply. I've Googled this and the problem seems to be with Outlook and Hotmail, we've were moved to Outlook recently, so will need to look into it.
Have done a basic scan and everything looks ok:Smile:

4matt

Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
East Riding
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie in my second year.
Yeah since moving to Outlook there have been big delays with access to the site and lots of other coding bugs... I run on Linux and its okay but access from a windows machine and its like waiting for an egg to boil. Funny considering Outlook is a Microsoft concept built and run by them...

I have recently switched to yahoo mail for some of my stuff it seems a lot smoother and is Fast.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Yeah since moving to Outlook there have been big delays with access to the site and lots of other coding bugs... I run on Linux and its okay but access from a windows machine and its like waiting for an egg to boil. [HI]Funny considering Outlook is a Microsoft concept built and run by them...[/HI]

I have recently switched to yahoo mail for some of my stuff it seems a lot smoother and is Fast.

That presupposes that Microsoft actually do proper testing :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back