LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Hi, just seen that MS are offering Windows 7 home premium that can be installed on up to 3 machines for £150. Sounds OK as reports on the system are generally good. I run Vista Ultimate on my desktop. SWMBO has Vista home premium on her Lappie and I have XP on my notebook. To buy or not to buy? That is the question. :Doh:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
First question I would ask, Ken, is "Are any of your machines causing problems?".

If they are running OK the second question is "Will you gain sufficient extra value for the cost of £150 plus however long it takes to sort the machines out?".

Third question is "Do the machines have the necessary power to run Windows 7?".

Before asking myself these questions we had four XP machines and one Vista machine. After asking these questions we have four XP machines and one Vista machine :Smile: No doubt we will eventually get Windows 7 when we buy another machine but, until then, it ain't broke so I ain't going to fix it :Smile:

Graham

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Hi Graham, my thoughts were the Vista machines would be faster and more stable. It's the first time I have seen an MS op system you can put on 3 machines that cheaply and not sure I want to miss the deal.:Blush:

No real probs at the moment tho on existing systems. Won't be buyng any new machines for years yet. Yes they are all capable of running the new system except notebook won't run Aero (who cares)::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
I'm still running with W2k on my desktop, up to now I've been ok with this since I upgraded from 98 quite a few years ago. I had the odd crash but always managed to get everything back up & working :RollEyes: That is until last Friday, I opened a web page then had a crash which after a few hours of trying (it had been so long since I'd had trouble that I struggled to remember) in the end I had to give up & re-install it, I have my hardisks partioned so all my data & many of the programs are still there so I am working my way through getting them running again. I even had to take out the video card to find out what it was as windows couldn't install the drivers.:Angry:
I was intending to buy a new PC with windows 7 on (given up building them from scratch as it's hardly worth the trouble) I'll wait & see how the new windows is before deciding.
I have Vista on my laptop & have never been too impressed with it, hopefully windows 7 will be better.

bill2b

Free Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Ken
I would not bother "Yet", I have 4 pcs running XP without problems, I was late updating from ME because I did not have many problems with that, Eventually when I did take the plunge it all went well and I was impressed.
My Laptop runs Vista and quite frankly I love it, you dont need to keep all the features running and of course it likes lots of RAM, my laptop has 8 Gig and it runs excellent.
I honestly have not had any problems with Vista so I would stick with what you have and Know for now at least
Cheers
Bill :Smile:
www.joeybrown.co.uk
www.babsthesheep.co.uk
www.wragbyshow.co.uk

Last edited:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Well I have been running the release version of Windows 7 on my laptop exclusively for a couple of months and am very impressed.

It is solid and definitely runs faster than xp or Vista.You need a fairly well specced machine though although it appears the driver rollout for this OS is better than with Vista.

I now have all 3 Operating systems running...XP and Windows 7 as Virtual machines...on my laptop and they work fine.

I will be taking up Windows 7 as soon as they release it to us as Microsoft Gold Partners.

Steve.

BTW I never had any problems with Windows ME Either...:thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hi Graham, my thoughts were the Vista machines would be faster and more stable. It's the first time I have seen an MS op system you can put on 3 machines that cheaply and not sure I want to miss the deal.:Blush:

No real probs at the moment tho on existing systems. Won't be buyng any new machines for years yet. Yes they are all capable of running the new system except notebook won't run Aero (who cares)::bigsmile:

Funny thing with the price of operating systems. When you look at the price to buy off the shelf and then compare it to the price of a new desktop/laptop there is very little difference unless you're going for the latest generation of machine - which the majorrity of us don't need these days.

I was in discussion with Microsoft a couple of weeks ago when they offered me a free copy of Win 7 (long story) and it took me several goes to get the person I was dealing with to understand that I looked on an OS as something that came with a machine and of so small a value that such an offer was the same as saying they wanted to waste a day of my time sorting out an existing machine that had no need of it :Smile:

Dunno when we'll buy a new machine because none causing any problems at the moment. Like Bill I've had no problems with Vista (IE8 excepted - the long story :Smile:) once I had taken a couple of days to sort it when we bought the machine.

Graham

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
well today i have installed w 7 and it is like a brand new lappy
it came as a vista l/top and was sloooow
couldnt do 2 things at once after loading 7
reloaded all the pics onto picasa and surfed the net on it:thumb:
it used to take forever to start up 20 mins before it was useable
generally not sure if it was accumalated rubbish or just slow
the machine now performs as it should have done 2 yrs back:thumb::thumb:
think xp good
viste waste of time:cry:
win 7 replacment for xp if you need to

Andy 01424

Free Member
Aug 10, 2009
Hastings East Sussex
Funster No
MH
RV soon!
Exp
0 but lived in static for 2yrs
Well i will say i have succombed to trying W7 and so far i like it ,thought i would never have said it after putting down Crap Vista for so long ,giving it a few weeks to see if not back to good old XP :ROFLMAO: so for the mo i am using Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit so we will wait and see,oh and for those who have a student in the house apparently they can get Windows 7 basic 32bit ,proving there a student for £20:Eeek:,not 100% but worth looking at ,was told it by a student at work during the week..

PS if you get stuck looking for a driver try using Vista 32/64 bit depending which OS your running sometimes they work apparently

Last edited:

DavidEJM

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
have any of you win 7 users upgraded from Vista or was it a complete wipe and install of the new OS?

I had heard reports of some people having problems when using the upgrade option rather than a fresh install and wondered if that was true.

I bought newlaptop a few weeks ago (ebuyer.com) and wondered if it was worth upgading but , whilst I hate Vista, I can't be bothered upgrading if it only causes problems.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi David,

I have seen so many problems in the past where customers have upgraded their OS's.

I have always firmly believed in leaving the problems with the previous operating system behind and installing a fresh one ...restoring the data after.

When an upgrade goes well it seems to work ...but when it goes wrong....or hangs... That's when the problems start.

A lot of the issues I have come across are reported by the user to have been associated with drivers.

I have always installed to a new hard disk....ensuring all my data is kept on the old one....then slave it afterwards and restore the data across to the new drive.

That is besides backing it up....Belts and braces....:Eeek::Eeek::thumb:

It really depends on how valuable your data is and...Could you afford to possibly lose it?

Steve

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi in the past when I bought either update or full versions of 98 or XP I could always load them on to two machines straight away, and have them registered with M/S. Wait 6 months or so and then load it on to another.

Since I bought the last XP disk in 04 its now running on 5 machines all registered with M/S and all getting all the updates as M/S roll them out.

So why buy a licence for three?

Olley

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Hi in the past when I bought either update or full versions of 98 or XP I could always load them on to two machines straight away, and have them registered with M/S. Wait 6 months or so and then load it on to another.

Since I bought the last XP disk in 04 its now running on 5 machines all registered with M/S and all getting all the updates as M/S roll them out.

So why buy a licence for three?
Just pondering the very same question myself!!

I have a desktop pc and laptop. The desktop came new with XP and the laptop I bought new but with no OS. Simply installed XP with same licence key and it runs on both.

Back to the question.......why buy three licence keys?

Myrddin

Free Member
Oct 13, 2009
Penllergaer, near Swansea
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
16 years
Why buy three licence key packs?

Because if you install the one licence key pack on more than one computer you are breaking the licence agreement signed by yourself and could be prosecuted by Microsoft.

Myrddin

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Just pondering the very same question myself!!

I have a desktop pc and laptop. The desktop came new with XP and the laptop I bought new but with no OS. Simply installed XP with same license key and it runs on both.

Back to the question.......why buy three license keys?

I'm surprised it installed and activated.

It registers the activation key against the hardware.That's why...when I had to replace a customer's hard disk or mother board. I had to get through to Microsoft to re-register it.....:cry:

I do get the impression, because the OS is aging now, they are not so tight on licensing as they used to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrddin Link Removed
Further to my previous message above, I will have to think this out again.

See link Windows 7 upgrades "crippling" PCs | News | PC Pro

Myrddin

And that is exactly why upgrading is not a good idea.

If the original OS install has problems, they will transfer to the upgrade of Windows 7.

Clean build every time.:thumb:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g_GeQR8fJo"]Italian Job [/ame]

Last edited:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Back to the question.......why buy three licence keys?

because microsoft can detect when you download updates that the system is loaded on more than one computer and will turn those computers off. I know it happened to me and took a lot of phonecalls to mirosoft to get the system re enabled.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back