LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Not sure exactly how the upgrade process works but may be sensible to clone your existing Windows 7 \ 8 \ 8.1 installations prior to upgrade to ensure a recovery option if anything does go wrong.
I use Macrium Reflect Free (http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx) but Windows does have it's own inbuilt tool.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Still no notifications on either of my 8.1 machines! Pffft
We must be members of the same unclean club as I'm still waiting on notification on 3 Windows 7 machines (both Home and Pro).:cry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
Still no notifications on either of my 8.1 machines! Pffft

When I saw the title I thought you had installed W10. I have had the invitation to upgrade for a while now. A small Windows symbol appeared on the right hand side of my toolbar, alongside my printer, battery status and other icons.

J

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
Upgrade has been running for about an hour and a half - it's still installing drivers etc but I do appear to be up and running!

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
When I saw the title I thought you had installed W10. I have had the invitation to upgrade for a while now. A small Windows symbol appeared on the right hand side of my toolbar, alongside my printer, battery status and other icons.

J
I haven't got that:confused:!!!

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I really wish I was computer literate. I've got Windows 8.1 & apparently waiting to be offered Windows 10 but when I look at it I go round in bloody circles.

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Best of luck with that. I do still have a windows machine in the office, but rather than Windows 10, I think I'll install Linux Mint on it, much more efficient and half the hassle.
But sadly cannot run Sage Line 50 or Payroll - so will have to wait until retirement before I play with this opensource stuff, shame as I was looking forward to messing about with WINE HQ - sounds much nicer than 7.1 etc.

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
Win 10 is now loading onto a new 460Gb ssd in my hp laptop. All going ok a clean install so far. Will give it a go and if i dont like it will put the old drive back in. Nice and simple. upgrades can be a bit messy. One must have is the red alert 3 works.
Steve.

ThePeltonian

Free Member
Jun 29, 2015
UK
Funster No
MH
1994 Hymer 654
Exp
Since 2001
mines up and running.. all working.. well mainly.. the new mail program dont like my pop mail accounts at the moment but i will work on that.. all in all its quite smooth

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
How do you get the invitation to upgrade please?, Not sure where to start.
Thanks. Pete

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
How do you get the invitation to upgrade please?, Not sure where to start.
Thanks. Pete
Pete, if you have a genuine WIN 7, 8, or 8.1 operating system, you should receive the update option through the WIN update system. Check your settings, to make sure you are receiving Windows updates. When you do receive the updates, a small white Windows logo will appear in your system tray...................but only if your operating system is compatible with the upgrade.

HTH,

Jock. :)

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Pete, if you have a genuine WIN 7, 8, or 8.1 operating system, you should receive the update option through the WIN update system. Check your settings, to make sure you are receiving Windows updates. When you do receive the updates, a small white Windows logo will appear in your system tray...................but only if your operating system is compatible with the upgrade.

HTH,

Thanks Jock, I will check them out in the morning. :happy:

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I read today that company's will be expected to pay for an upgrade. Does that mean all Windows 7 pro users?
How much hard drive will it take? I've only have 18 Gb left on the C drive.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I read today that company's will be expected to pay for an upgrade. Does that mean all Windows 7 pro users?
Someone posted above that it used up 10Gb of memory. :eek:

Cheers,

Lee Fryer

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Eastleigh
Funster No
MH
Coach built CI Carioca 15
Exp
Since June 2012
Don't like it very slow opening apps, trouble with email account, cant get bookmarks from google, cant seem to use windows help, only been using 8.1 for 2 weeks (new pc) but found that easy, going back.
Lee

ThePeltonian

Free Member
Jun 29, 2015
UK
Funster No
MH
1994 Hymer 654
Exp
Since 2001
After initial teething problems.. gathering it was sorting all its settings out.. seems good... got email working again now, have intermittent issues with the xbox app not connecting to the internet but all the rest is working .. browsing using google chrome and all googly apps from drive... not a fan of games on the laptop so not tried them.. boots up faster now than it did with 8.1.

I like the new layout.. its more like windows 7 than win 8.1 as you have a desktop again yay! if you click the windows button you get a smaller panel on the left where you can slide up and down apps etc.. kinda neat..

Theres no media player as such for movies now.. but I didnt use win media player anyway,.... mainly plex or VLC which plays anything off a drive...

I will keep popping in if any major disasters happen lol...

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
If it's a lot like win 7, I will stay with Win 7. I cannot understand sometimes, if it ain't broke, don't try and fix it. I bet Win 7 does almost anything any of us would want to do. If the spanner fits the nut, why do I need another. SuperMisserable SuperMike. :)

ThePeltonian

Free Member
Jun 29, 2015
UK
Funster No
MH
1994 Hymer 654
Exp
Since 2001

I have a Win 7 prof machine, personal not company.... not had the update yet.. will let you know when mine updates...

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
If it's a lot like win 7, I will stay with Win 7. I cannot understand sometimes, if it ain't broke, don't try and fix it. I bet Win 7 does almost anything any of us would want to do. If the spanner fits the nut, why do I need another. SuperMisserable SuperMike. :)
Touch screen and mobile application will benefit greatly from Win 10. Apart from that it is faster more secure and I think after just a couple of hours better than Win 7. But I own up to not being an expert.:)
I had a few problems with getting AVG to work I had to download an update which I now see could have been downloaded prior to W10 install but now working fine..(y)

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
Touch screen and mobile application will benefit greatly from Win 10. Apart from that it is faster more secure and I think after just a couple of hours better than Win 7. But I own up to not being an expert.:)
I had a few problems with getting AVG to work I had to download an update which I now see could have been downloaded prior to W10 install but now working fine..(y)

Thanks Buttons and apologies for dissecting your post. Touch screen, I've already got. What mobile applications, it's my home PC, it's not mobile. Mine is 7 Professional, and is plenty fast enough for me. What is so insecure about 7 that requires me to change it ? My AVG is working fine already. StillSuperMisserable SuperMike. ;)

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
Methinks you lot are upgrade geeks. Don't get me wrong, I love a new bit of technology, fiddling with stuff is fun, but when it comes to Microsoft Windows, mine gets upgraded when I buy a new putter, 'cos the old one is in the bin. :sneaky:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Thanks Buttons and apologies for dissecting your post. Touch screen, I've already got. What mobile applications, it's my home PC, it's not mobile. Mine is 7 Professional, and is plenty fast enough for me. What is so insecure about 7 that requires me to change it ? My AVG is working fine already. StillSuperMisserable SuperMike. ;)
Not trying to sell it to you SM just giving some answers to your previous post.
I'm told that Win 10 has been released with the future in mind windows phones tablets phablets and PCs will all jell much better together. If you are happy with what you already have then what is the point in changing. I will possibly be getting the new windows phablet when it is released later this year if it is any good which will also be operating W10 so just getting away from android and back into the windows frame. (y)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Methinks you lot are upgrade geeks. Don't get me wrong, I love a new bit of technology, fiddling with stuff is fun, but when it comes to Microsoft Windows, mine gets upgraded when I buy a new putter, 'cos the old one is in the bin. :sneaky:
Now I am understanding your previous posts a little better. You are one of those...:rolleyes::). Anyone who is moving from Win 7 to Win 10 can hardly be accused of being an upgrade geek.:sleep:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back