Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Munchie
I cannot get into anything, never mind settings. I have switched off via power button, switched back on, get 'welcome' and enter password, all of which is accepted. I can get some icons down the left hand side of the screen, some of which will respond to left click. iTunes for example, but I can go no further
G

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Gellyneck
Starting from the left
Windows icon then search the web and Windows then a small box with ears then nothing till far right and a little box saying notifications.
There is no response from any of these icons (left or right click).
There used to be a few icons between web search and notifications but now just a black box full width
Thanks
OK so the taskbar sounds like it's there.
You might want to try this - http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ld-10074/6b13e8b6-b30b-4e80-aa7c-a4a3939195ea

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Munchie
Did as instructed, window appears with Windows power she'll in the heading.
Then on to a blue square I have the legend

Windows Powershell
Copyright (c) 2015
PS C:\users\Therese>

That's it. No entering a administrators page, and no Powershell icon on any type of task bar.
Thanks both for all your efforts

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
try right clicking on a blank spot on the main screen. graphics and settings appear on mine!

sorry if no good just trying to help. :)

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
Beware when considering going back to win7. I did and lost all my emails including 'sky.com'. The only presered emails were my 'live.co.uk' address because it's MS's own. You need to backup your emails before going back to 7.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
@G T and Dottie Do you have the original W7 install DVD ? If so, I would do a fresh install .. it may be the only way and don't update to 10

Since I posted on this thread I foolishly reinstalled W10 .. :rolleyes:

but had so many problems decided it was back to W7 .. but it was now outside the rollback time frame allowed by Microsoft , so I had to do a fresh install of W7.. it took a while as I had to re-install a lot of drivers and the W7 updates took forever... but it's done now ..

.. and I don't care about the nagging W10 pop up..

as an aside.. I had to phone Microsoft to have my W7 Ultimate version activated..

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Another thing you could try is to boot up in safe mode.
Turn off then press power button, then (this varies you have to try each one) hold down either f3, f5 or f8

Perhaps you can access settings from there.

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
try right clicking on a blank spot on the main screen. graphics and settings appear on mine!

sorry if no good just trying to help. :)
Done that bit (just). Message reads
This does not have a program associated with it.......................Default Programs control panel

No such thing as just trying to help. Every little bit of assistance greatly appreciated

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Beware when considering going back to win7. I did and lost all my emails including 'sky.com'. The only presered emails were my 'live.co.uk' address because it's MS's own. You need to backup your emails before going back to 7.
@G T and Dottie Do you have the original W7 install DVD ? If so, I would do a fresh install .. it may be the only way and don't update to 10

Since I posted on this thread I foolishly reinstalled W10 .. :rolleyes:

but had so many problems decided it was back to W7 .. but it was now outside the rollback time frame allowed by Microsoft , so I had to do a fresh install of W7.. it took a while as I had to re-install a lot of drivers and the W7 updates took forever... but it's done now ..

.. and I don't care about the nagging W10 pop up..

as an aside.. I had to phone Microsoft to have my W7 Ultimate version activated..

Thank you both. I don't have a 7 disc, nor did I make a copy, didn't know how. Should have bloody well asked on here!!

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
The day MS forces W10 onto us I'm off to Apple, ok a lot more expensive so gettin the wife on't town hall steps with plenty of loose change:whistle:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Thank you both. I don't have a 7 disc, nor did I make a copy, didn't know how. Should have bloody well asked on here!!

if it came without a disc, perhaps W7 is on a hard drive partition.. Do you have the handbook that came with machine ?

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
if it came without a disc, perhaps W7 is on a hard drive partition.. Do you have the handbook that came with machine ?
No prizes for guessing the answer! Come to think of it, I cant remember a handbook.(other than guarantee etc)

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
@G T and Dottie

Assuming you did a "dirty" upgrade installation of Windows 10 over your previous Windows 7 as part of this procedure a Windows.old folder will have been created. This is the folder that is used when you downgrade back to the previous Windows installation. I don't believe there is any way to access \ use this folder other than through the recovery \ revert process in Windows 10 but you may want to trying Googling to see if there is.

If you are unable to downgrade using the recovery \ revert process I would look to see if there is a recovery partition, as @scotjimland suggests, that can be accessed at boot-up or through specific key presses however this option may have been lost as part of the upgrade.

Probably know the answer to this one :)whistle:). Did you ever make a back-up system image of Windows 7 using the inbuilt tool or 3rd party software, eg Macrium Reflect? If so, do you still have access to that? I you have you may be able to recover Windows 7 from that however you would have all the subsequent updates to re-install.

Do you know your Windows 7 version and product key? If the machine was shop bought it should have a sticker on it with this information. If you do, do you know of anyone from whom you can borrow a matching version installation disc? You could try installing that using your product key however be aware you'll loose all the original and upgraded installations so no way back unless you create a system image prior to this.

If none of the 4 options above available \ possible I think you'll be into buying an Windows OEM installation disc (Google for these) and starting afresh. Same considerations as borrowing a disc above.

If you're really brassed off with Windows 10 and cannot get back to Windows 7 by any of the above means you could install a free Linux distro, eg Linux Mint. This could work for you if you are only using for web browsing, e-mail, office documents, etc with no Windows dedicated programs installed \ required.

Think that's it from me but others may have other suggestions.

Best of luck

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Can I go back from W10 to W7?
If so could somebody tell me how please.
I cannot get the "start" box to appear on 10 so can do absolutely nothing. Can't even switch off.

And on another thread, can I move iTunes from laptop to a flash drive so I can get my toons in the Moho. (Assuming I can open the W10/7)
Geoff
Have you Googled for a solution to the start box not appearing? It seems a not uncommon problem and there are suggestions on Microsoft's own website which use for example key presses.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/get-help-windows-start-menu

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
Try pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL together. Bottom right hand side of screen should have a "button" to turn the machine off.

Dave (Now quite happy with Windows 10)

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Have you Googled for a solution to the start box not appearing? It seems a not uncommon problem and there are suggestions on Microsoft's own website which use for example key presses.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/get-help-windows-start-menu
@G T and Dottie

Assuming you did a "dirty" upgrade installation of Windows 10 over your previous Windows 7 as part of this procedure a Windows.old folder will have been created. This is the folder that is used when you downgrade back to the previous Windows installation. I don't believe there is any way to access \ use this folder other than through the recovery \ revert process in Windows 10 but you may want to trying Googling to see if there is.

If you are unable to downgrade using the recovery \ revert process I would look to see if there is a recovery partition, as @scotjimland suggests, that can be accessed at boot-up or through specific key presses however this option may have been lost as part of the upgrade.

Probably know the answer to this one :)whistle:). Did you ever make a back-up system image of Windows 7 using the inbuilt tool or 3rd party software, eg Macrium Reflect? If so, do you still have access to that? I you have you may be able to recover Windows 7 from that however you would have all the subsequent updates to re-install.

Do you know your Windows 7 version and product key? If the machine was shop bought it should have a sticker on it with this information. If you do, do you know of anyone from whom you can borrow a matching version installation disc? You could try installing that using your product key however be aware you'll loose all the original and upgraded installations so no way back unless you create a system image prior to this.

If none of the 4 options above available \ possible I think you'll be into buying an Windows OEM installation disc (Google for these) and starting afresh. Same considerations as borrowing a disc above.

If you're really brassed off with Windows 10 and cannot get back to Windows 7 by any of the above means you could install a free Linux distro, eg Linux Mint. This could work for you if you are only using for web browsing, e-mail, office documents, etc with no Windows dedicated programs installed \ required.

Think that's it from me but others may have other suggestions.

Best of luck
You can uninstall some of the updates that will stop the nagging pop-ups if you do get fed-up with them.
it will be on-line ... (says he hopefully) google make and model

Not sure what was intended by @scotjimland post, whether it would wake the PC up or some other wizardry would happen, but I ended up at a place within Microsoft that would not allow me to go back to W7 but would let load W10. Working on the basis that the PC was no good as was I reloaded W10.

And wondered as I went to beddy-byes whether I had done the right thing. The PC seemed happy enough chewing through a late supper, came down this morning and viola, reinstalled.
And appears to be working as it should,

I will go further into it later and let you know what happens.

Much thanks to you all
Geoff

@Gellyneck @DBK @Munchie

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
All's well then...(y)

my next suggestion was to bin it ... and buy a Mac :cool:;)

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Gellyneck
Not so much my next trick as hopefully yours.
Your next mission, should you accept it, is get a complete numpty to load a 16gb memory stick with all my toons from the PC (itunes library) so i can play them in the MoHo. I've got an Autotrail with the crappy aerial system that will not pick up the radio signal from an iPod, so I would like to put onto memory stick and play through the usb port on the front of the head.

Geoff

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Sorry Geoff I'm not an Apple supporter however I've heard mention of M3Unify software that, I think, can copy iTunes tracks onto a USB drive for use in a car.

I've got about 20Gb of mp3's on a usb stick I play in our 2013 Autotrail. Plays them fine but the album \ track \ artist display is not that user friendly.

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Thanks. I will do a search and see what happens
Geoff

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The iTunes library files on a Windows machine are easy to access and copy.. if unsure where they are stored, in iTunes, open an album, right click on one of the tracks, click on 'get info', then on the info box, click on the File tab.. you will see the album file address

MP3 files should play on the head unit.. If the files are Apple Lossless they need converting to MP3

try one album , navigate to the file address, copy paste into your memory stick..

?

Deleted User
Just binned 10 for 7 on my Dell. Shame as i liked it it just did not like my old inspiron 1545.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Just binned 10

likewise.. permanently :)

bought a 27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display :D

which will compliment the Macbook pro (y)

will be great getting back to a proper desktop computer :cool:

?

Deleted User
likewise.. permanently :)

bought a 27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display :D

which will compliment the Macbook pro (y)

will be great getting back to a proper desktop computer :cool:

Not sure when support finishes for 7 but if this old laptop is still running i will shift to Linux mint or the likes.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back