Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Not see Win 10 Pc's run this well for years, have Microsoft sorted out a lot of the problems with the latest updates & kept quiet about it?
Just seen this post while looking for one of mine.

Microsoft launched Windows 10 as their last OS*.
It meant it got some pretty major 1-3GB upgrades that would been like new OS releases rather than updates.
If you’ve had your PC off for awhile and then want to use it for a quick internet search, you could have an annoying wait for updates & upgrades to apply first. Unless you’d dug in to the settings and made upgrades only apply when you wanted them too.

So, back to the question, maybe your improvements are from one of the major Win10 releases.

*- That’s one of the odd things about Windows 11 - it’s Microsoft’s last release plus one 🤔🤪

Apr 7, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e line
Exp
I run W10 on a 8 year-old Acer laptop, but have a SSD installed recently.

I never shut-down completely - I know some say naughty - but re-start every few days and run CCCleaner, with defrag running automatically every week.

I do not have much stored, so maybe Karl's comment about storage space is relevant.

When I open my computer the W10 and open pages are there instantly.

Geoff
I am pretty sure you should not defrag an ssd. Won't actually harm it but it will use up read/write cycles and you get no benefit from it.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I am pretty sure you should not defrag an ssd. Won't actually harm it but it will use up read/write cycles and you get no benefit from it.
Def. no SSD defrag.
There’s an admin task for SSD called Trim
That trim task lets the OS claim discarded data on the SSD

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Lenny HB So much depends on your hardware, My PC is about 5 years old and is stuffed with video production programmes and recording software but still loads in about 30-45 seconds. All SSD drives.

Edit- Just spotted the old date on the op post.

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
So should I upgrade to W11 as the icon to do so has popped up. Quite satisfied with W10 however.
Thought my pc was the bees knees but it seems it can't take windows 11

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
So should I upgrade to W11 as the icon to do so has popped up. Quite satisfied with W10 however.
I would only upgrade if there is a Win11 feature or security patch you need.
Well, feature really as Windows 10 is still getting security fixes.
I don’t know your computer usage needs but assume no missing features.
TL,DR stay on Win10
But, as with all Microsoft major OS releases, Win11 is ready for use as it’s been in public beta for a few months.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
In reality, Windows 11 isn't a major change. They've made some minor cosmetic changes that could have gone into '10 if they wanted. Their only real legitimate justification for calling it a new product is they've dumped some legacy features that might upset some really really old software and hardware. I'm reasonably PC proficient. I'm going to give it a couple of months before I do the Windows 11 upgrade on my laptop that I use when I want to work in the van or go to a meeting. But my main desktop PC that's essential to my income will probably remain on Windows 10 for another 6 months or so.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Thought my pc was the bees knees but it seems it can't take windows 11
Has it got a Trusted Platform Module (TPM) v2.0 installed? If not, it may be that that's making it fail?
A number of recent mobo's have a slot for one but it's an "optional" extra (like my B550 Gigabyte board).

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Has it got a Trusted Platform Module (TPM) v2.0 installed? If not, it may be that that's making it fail?
A number of recent mobo's have a slot for one but it's an "optional" extra (like my B550 Gigabyte board).
If you've got a B550 and a Ryzen 2000 series or later, it just has to be enabled in the BIOS. You don't need a TPM module.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
In reality, Windows 11 isn't a major change. They've made some minor cosmetic changes that could have gone into '10 if they wanted. Their only real legitimate justification for calling it a new product is they've dumped some legacy features that might upset some really really old software and hardware.
In addition, secure boot and Trusted Platform Module (TPM) v2.0 are both mandatory on Win11 as opposed to Win10.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
If you've got a B550 and a Ryzen 2000 series or later, it just has to be enabled in the BIOS. You don't need a TPM module.
Mmmmmh! Will have to have another look as this desktop has a B550 and Ryzen 5600G in it.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
In addition, secure boot and Trusted Platform Module (TPM) v2.0 are both mandatory on Win11 as opposed to Win10.
Although you can do a fresh install (not upgrade) without it. Plus there are several workarounds anyway, but your system will be unsupported. But there's not a great reason to go to Windows 11 yet anyway. So just hang on to your PC for another few years as you aren't really missing out.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Looks like a BIOS update is needed for the mobo.(y) Released when we were away.
Although you can do a fresh install (not upgrade) without it. Plus there are several workarounds anyway, but your system will be unsupported.
Yip, however for "non-savvy" users fresh install could be a "showstopper".:(
But there's not a great reason to go to Windows 11 yet anyway. So just hang on to your PC for another few years as you aren't really missing out.
Not currently planning to migrate to Win 11 "ever".
Probably make the "final" transition away from Windows before support for Win 10 ends (October 2025).(y)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
If you are running an AMD cpu I would avoid Windows 11 for while. There are performance issues. Only just fixed but not confirmed that they are back to full performance.

Personally I never used to upgrade a windows version until it had been out for a year or so, to give them chance to fix the problems.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Mine is full of accumulated stuff since new, over 110GB of pics and 50GB of music. Much like the loft and the garage it's all stuff I may need one day! There's room for more though. :giggle:

View attachment 517075
If you have BT internet then you may have 100gb of cloud storage free, is it worth loading this lot up there one night?

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
It just did a self test and came up with a few reasons. its ok as it is now anyway

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back