Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Gobsmacked !

I've dabbled with a B V2 for years, works OK but slow.

V3 arrived yesterday. Grabbed NOOB. Stuck it in and a while later it asked for the WiFi password.

It's on a different planet to the V2. It's just like using a decent windows computer in terms of the user interface. Runs YouTube full screen no problem. Displays photos as well as Irfanview.

Just amazing and Made In UK.

I did not expect this !!
Nice one (y) What OS did you install? I am presuming some variant of Linux? If so which flavour?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Nice one (y) What OS did you install? I am presuming some variant of Linux? If so which flavour?

Raspian ( Debian ). Didn't have to think about it, NOOB came with that as the default so I just let it go.

It installs 10 programming programs, Python being the preferred one for Pi. Libre Office. Chromium browser ( not sure about that ! ). And just about everything you expect on a PC. In fact after a couple of glasses of Red I'd think I was using windows.

Anyone interested here is the computer, you need a power supply, display ( TV ), mouse, keyboard and micro SD as it's hard drive. Add a USB hard drive and it starts to rival a laptop as a MH computer because this gives enough storage for the photos.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261698200759?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
@hilldweller
Like you been using a V2 Model B for a while. Two Micro SD's, one with Rasbian and the other with OSMC loaded. Given your comments must give some thought to upgrading to V3.
Need to check if it'll fit my existing "case".

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Raspian ( Debian ). Didn't have to think about it, NOOB came with that as the default so I just let it go.
What is this NOOB you speak of? Raspian is based on Debian. Debian is an older stalwart of the Linux community. Ubuntu is based on it amongst others.

It installs 10 programming programs, Python being the preferred one for Pi. Libre Office. Chromium browser ( not sure about that ! ). And just about everything you expect on a PC. In fact after a couple of glasses of Red I'd think I was using windows.
It is Linux, therefore practically every programming language is available for it :D Chromium Browser is an open source version of Google's Chrome Browser without the spying stuff or DRM. You can't watch DRM streaming services such as Netflix on it unfortunately. Raspian comes with The Pixel Desktop environment which is a lightweight X windows service. It is getting some good reviews (y) I might have to load it up on my Linux desktop. That is one of the great things about Linux. All the choices. i can load multiple desktops and select one at login time. There are LOADS of them. You can make it look and operate however you want.

Have fun Brian (y):)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
What is this NOOB you speak of?

Chromium Browser is an open source version of Google's Chrome Browser without the spying stuff or DRM.

The Pixel Desktop environment which is a lightweight X windows service.

Here is NOOBS - does what it says on the tin.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/noobs/

Good news on Chromium, I like it, similar to Firefox.

Pixel is excellent. For a windows user, everything is intuitive.

Great fun and very thought provoking given the way windows is going.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Need to check if it'll fit my existing "case".

I have them side by side, can't tell the difference between them.

As well as WiFi just "working" a bluetooth symbol is on the desktop. So keyboard/mouse/headphones ?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Greetings from V3.

I'm using it on an old 1280x1024 monitor via a cheap ebay HDMI to VGA converter. Scroll speed is as good as my PC. In fact I can hardly tell any difference, I'm typing as I always do, everything normal.

I have just tried it with the 7 inch lcd display but that was not good, not enough resolution. But it will be an excellent home automation display.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

I still am. So The Big Question - Linux Threats.

Compared to windows what is the threat level from:

Hard virus attacks.

Malware attacks.

Advertising nuisance.

What precautions do you take ?

My Pies..........
Pies.jpg

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I still am. So The Big Question - Linux Threats.

Compared to windows what is the threat level from:

Hard virus attacks.

Malware attacks.

Advertising nuisance.

What precautions do you take ?

Compared to Windows the risk is so low to the point where you can ignore the threat.

However it is not zero... Advertising is still a risk to your privacy and browser targetted attacks.

I am careful about what sites I visit.
I have uBlock Origin installed in firefox.
I have no script installed in Firefox
I have a custom hosts file from http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm
I have my firewall locked down.

Viruses are extremely rare on Linux but the odd one does occur but is never widely spread.

Most viruses are aimed at Windows due to the prevalence of them. There are an increasing number aimed at Mac users but still nowhere at the windows level. There are fewer still aimed at Linux. I believe Debian comes with AppArmor install by default, this adds additional security over and above the existing security built into Linux.

One word of advice. Don't install any software outside of the software manager and keep it up to date and you should be good. If you start downloading software from 3rd party sources then you may possibly hit problems.

Basically, don't worry.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
[QUOTE="Gromett, post: 2227590, member: 15452"
Basically, don't worry.[/QUOTE]

I like that. What that might force me to keep windows as well is bike racing. Eurosport and MotoGP, one uses M$ Silverlight not sure what the other uses. I'll have a go and find out the hard way.

I've two HDs in this PC, one just backups and plenty of space, I'm thinking of trying a dual boot of Debian ( to match PI ) on to that drive.

I really do have the urge to stick two fingers up to M$, they've gone too far.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I like that. What that might force me to keep windows as well is bike racing. Eurosport and MotoGP, one uses M$ Silverlight not sure what the other uses. I'll have a go and find out the hard way.

I've two HDs in this PC, one just backups and plenty of space, I'm thinking of trying a dual boot of Debian ( to match PI ) on to that drive.

I really do have the urge to stick two fingers up to M$, they've gone too far.

Can I suggest if you do go for a dual boot you use Linux Mint Cinnamon edition rather than raw Debian. Debian is a good distribution but it is not really aimed at the novice and desktop user. Debian is the base of many good desktop distributions though. Avoid Ubuntu as they have a default desktop called Unity which is as messed up as Windows 8.0 was. Cinnamon is a good solid old fashioned desktop that is lightweight and fast but still has modern fully configurable underpinnings.

On the Silverlight thing, That is an issue because it is microsofts proprietary DRM module. However these things are starting to go the way of the dinosaur and HTML 5 DRM extensions are becoming more and more the way things are done. For instance I can watch youtube and Netflix without any extensions now such as flash etc.

Your other option which is the one I took when migrating across was to use a Virtual PC running within linux. Initially I used a mix of KVM and VirtualBox. This meant that when I wanted to run a Windows App I didn't have to reboot. That might be worth a try?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Eurosport and MotoGP, one uses M$ Silverlight not sure what the other uses
Just had a quick look around and found this.
https://launchpad.net/pipelight

Might mean a lot of messing around, but if you are up for a bit of a fun/frustrating challenge? :p

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Cinnamon is a good solid old fashioned desktop that is lightweight and fast but still has modern fully configurable underpinnings.

Greetings from Cinnamon.

And dual boot to boot.

Well it has Firefox as browser so can't be bad. Lot's of head scratching now.

Installation was plain sailing, I cleared out the second hard drive and it automatically picked and split it in two. I have booted windows 10, seems as normal, it sees half of the Linux drive.

Boot time for Linux is way longer than W10. Not a deal breaker.

I can access W10 files, viewed some photos, faster than Irfanview. Libra Office works just like PC. File explorer just like PC.

Deep joy so far.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Boot time for Linux is way longer than W10. Not a deal breaker
Well that is wrong??? My Linux (cinnamon) box boots up in 7 seconds...

Is your first disk an SSD and the second one a spinning disk type hard disk?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Well that is wrong??? My Linux (cinnamon) box boots up in 7 seconds...

Is your first disk an SSD and the second one a spinning disk type hard disk?

Both are spinning. I'll time it next time. Shuts down much much quicker.

A funny happened doing the install. I put ISO DVD in, not sure if I'd got DVD boot set, it wasn't and the DVD got read but not run. I shut down W10 and next boot the ASUS BIOS ( UEFI ) did not show the usual F2 for BIOS settings, I could not get into the BIOS to change boot order. Luckily the ASUS DVD had a boot util that runs from windows. Could M$ have fiddled with the BIOS settings or was it a freak ?????

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
A funny happened doing the install. I put ISO DVD in, not sure if I'd got DVD boot set, it wasn't and the DVD got read but not run. I shut down W10 and next boot the ASUS BIOS ( UEFI ) did not show the usual F2 for BIOS settings, I could not get into the BIOS to change boot order. Luckily the ASUS DVD had a boot util that runs from windows. Could M$ have fiddled with the BIOS settings or was it a freak ?????
No idea sorry. MS/UEFI/Secure boot are a monstrosity designed by a drunk committee. I try to avoid getting involved in that mess as much as possible :(

Luckily Linux just installs and works (y)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Boot time for Linux is way longer than W10. Not a deal breaker.
ok, I upgraded to Mint 18 earlier this week. Today I had my first very long boot time in Linux ever.

So I did a bit of googling and found the command to check the boot time.

If you open a command prompt. It is the little black box icon on the task bar near the start menu.
Enter this command
systemd-analyze critical-chain

Copy and paste it here, and I will be able to tell you what is taking all the time :)

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
ok, I upgraded to Mint 18 earlier this week. Today I had my first very long boot time in Linux ever.
Upgraded from 17.3 to 18 a month or two back and boot time was definitely slower.
Then did a clean install and it seemed to be a little faster but still slower than 17.3.
Will check the command noted above in a minute or two. Just shut down the Linux machine!:doh:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
OK, graphics seems to be taking 22 secs and a number of other services taking 7 and a bit seconds (guessing they're loading concurrently?).
Wonder if it's because it's an NVidia card and I was needing proprietary drivers to get it to run properly?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
A funny happened doing the install..................

I may have got this. I recently got a new keyboard ( £6 Tesco, Logitec, USB ), the old one was the old PS2 connector. Now I find that the ASUS BIOS does not turn on USB at boot time unless told to do so, so my F2 never got through and what showed this was I could not alter the dual boot because the keyboard was dead. One small change and all OK.

[from Linux Firefox]

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I may have got this. I recently got a new keyboard ( £6 Tesco, Logitec, USB ), the old one was the old PS2 connector. Now I find that the ASUS BIOS does not turn on USB at boot time unless told to do so, so my F2 never got through and what showed this was I could not alter the dual boot because the keyboard was dead. One small change and all OK.

[from Linux Firefox]
I should have thought of that.:doh: Had the same problem a year or two back and had to plug a PS2 keyboard \ mouse back in to access the BIOS!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
systemd-analyze critical-chain

Copy and paste it here, and I will be able to tell you what is taking all the time :)

graphical.target @17.239s
└─ntp.service @24.654s +17ms
└─basic.target @9.557s
└─paths.target @9.557s
└─acpid.path @9.557s
└─sysinit.target @9.324s
└─swap.target @9.324s
└─dev-disk-by\x2duuid-fe3ac927\x2d53dd\x2d4d7c\x2d96b3\x2df3ece88a43
└─dev-disk-by\x2duuid-fe3ac927\x2d53dd\x2d4d7c\x2d96b3\x2df3ece88a

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Reluctantly coming back on topic :) I think I've discovered why I could install Windows 10 without a product key. It seems MS are moving away from product keys with the Anniversary update and linking everything with your Microsoft account. So when I entered my MS account details during installation it checked back at the ranch so to speak and decided I was legitimate.
I did subsequently discover what the product key is using a free bit of software called Produkey, which peeks into the registry.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I did subsequently discover what the product key is using a free bit of software called Produkey, which peeks into the registry.

Belarc and Speccy give you the OS product key, other software keys, eg Office, etc and lots more info about your system. Both have free versions -
http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
Broken Link Removed (download from the Piriform option)
Well worth a look to see what's inside your box of tricks.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
and linking everything with your Microsoft account..

No brainer where that is going - annual subscriptions.

I guess that is W11. "Dear W10 user, your upgrade to W11 is ready to install, only $20 per annum, support for W10 will cease tomorrow".

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
graphical.target @17.239s
└─ntp.service @24.654s +17ms
└─basic.target @9.557s
└─paths.target @9.557s
└─acpid.path @9.557s
└─sysinit.target @9.324s
└─swap.target @9.324s
└─dev-disk-by\x2duuid-fe3ac927\x2d53dd\x2d4d7c\x2d96b3\x2df3ece88a43
└─dev-disk-by\x2duuid-fe3ac927\x2d53dd\x2d4d7c\x2d96b3\x2df3ece88a
That looks strange. It jumps from 9.5 seconds to 24.65 Seconds at the ntp.service but is showing only 17ms for it?
Also nothing is listed before 9.23 seconds...

Can you send me the results of
systemd-analyze blame

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Can you send me the results of
systemd-analyze blame

Not possible, it is hundreds of lines long. Strangely all in 6.631 second groupings terminated by skipping lines 1-23 or 1-24 -- edit they are all very similar............

6.631s ModemManager.service
6.034s dev-sdb5.device
5.114s accounts-daemon.service
4.633s loadcpufreq.service
3.871s grub-common.service
3.402s virtualbox-guest-utils.service
3.348s NetworkManager.service
3.164s ondemand.service
2.958s systemd-logind.service
2.912s speech-dispatcher.service
2.880s hddtemp.service
2.826s iio-sensor-proxy.service
2.824s rsyslog.service
2.721s networking.service
2.569s alsa-restore.service
2.567s lm-sensors.service
2.565s pppd-dns.service
2.556s systemd-user-sessions.service
2.492s avahi-daemon.service
2.230s thermald.service
1.921s console-setup.service
1.882s polkitd.service
1.838s lvm2-monitor.service

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Reluctantly coming back on topic :).

I'm not looking back 4 pages to see how Linux got in here, thought I'm sure it's Gromett grooming us, but I think it's all about a stable working PC and I am amazed at what I am experiencing with Linux on a proper PC basically it's Windows without constant "you can't do that" "you don't have permission" even though I of course an administrator.

Everything I've done is just too easy. I looked up what I needed to re-size my Linux partition, I used the one liner off the web ( approx sudo app-get install GParted ) and seconds later it was installed and ready and I easily reduced the NTFS half and increased the Linus half.

It accesses all the M$ files, I have opened docs, I've watched a movie, seen photos. Only essential thing left is email and since it has Thunderbird that I use under M$ that should work OK.

It's like going back to the user friendliness of W5.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Not possible, it is hundreds of lines long. Strangely all in 6.631 second groupings terminated by skipping lines 1-23 or 1-24 -- edit they are all very similar............

6.631s ModemManager.service
6.034s dev-sdb5.device
5.114s accounts-daemon.service
4.633s loadcpufreq.service
3.871s grub-common.service
3.402s virtualbox-guest-utils.service
3.348s NetworkManager.service
3.164s ondemand.service
2.958s systemd-logind.service
2.912s speech-dispatcher.service
2.880s hddtemp.service
2.826s iio-sensor-proxy.service
2.824s rsyslog.service
2.721s networking.service
2.569s alsa-restore.service
2.567s lm-sensors.service
2.565s pppd-dns.service
2.556s systemd-user-sessions.service
2.492s avahi-daemon.service
2.230s thermald.service
1.921s console-setup.service
1.882s polkitd.service
1.838s lvm2-monitor.service
ok. you are missing too much there for me to be able to advise. If you want to PM me the full list I am happy to look at it for you.
You are looking for something that takes huge amounts of time. My guess it will either be NTP, a disk mount, or a network service search.

One of the great things about linux is that it has all the diagnostic tools that engineers want built right in. Because Linux runs everything from the mainframes at the Large Hadron Collider, to NASA to the smallest of real time systems. There has been a massive number of diagnostic tools built in. In the very rare case something does go wrong some one will say run this command "XYZ" and tell me what it says.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Everything I've done is just too easy. I looked up what I needed to re-size my Linux partition, I used the one liner off the web ( approx sudo app-get install GParted ) and seconds later it was installed.

You didn't need to run the the command line version. If ever you see an apt-get command. Ignore it and load up from the Menu -> Administration ->Software Manager.
Type in the program or search through the list.

If you want to go into the darker depths of Linux go to Menu ->Administration -> Synaptic Package Manager. Lots of very nice toys in here to browse through. Over 55,000 packages to play with all sorted into groups (on the left).....

No dodgy downloads to deal with, no disks to find and all pretty much guaranteed to work.

You seem quite happy at the moment. Just wait until you see how the update system works. You will see an exclamation mark in the bottom right of your screen. When you are ready (and not before) click it. Type your password in. Then go back to what you were doing. Linux will quietly update the OS and all software on your system for you. It won't nag you and won't insist on rebooting.

Because all software is centralised you won't get nags from multiple software packages. You will just get that nice little icon in the bottom right telling you there are updates available.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back