Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Have a new laptop with Windows 10. Firstly I used Windows Defender, fine for a while then got infected with adware. Changed to AVG, used that for years without issues, last night got infected with adware again :mad:

What do the great people out there recommend as a replacement as none of the scans are finding the little devil. :(

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We use Windows Defender on our Win 10 machines as we did on our Win 8/8.1 machines. We also use CCleaner regularly and have Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware installed for use when we feel it necessary.

Despite that I did manage to get infected with adware on a Win 8.1 machine last year. If I recall correctly it was as a result of searching from some software to convert a .bmp file to a .pdf. Luckily @lunarman had posted about using Adwcleaner a short time beforehand and that worked. However, you may have to look at your browser settings as some adware changes them to introduce rogue search engines and/or automatically connect to a web page which downloads the adware again.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
We've had Norton on several laptops since 2006 & never been infected ( yet ) :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Defender is virus protection not adware, it is free and Microsoft should be the first to see a weakness in the OS. Malaware is what I use to stop adware! AVG and Norton have too much overhead to lumber my machine with.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back