Window stolen in storage (1 Viewer)

Jan 15, 2012
north london
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2008
So yesterday my husband went to get the van to have a hinge replaced on the habitation door and the washroom window was completely missing - no other damage. We keep it in storage at a camping club site. Always assumed it was pretty secure. The wardens have been really helpful about it but wondered if this was a common occurrence? I guess whoever took it must have climbed the fence but it's not exactly an opportunist theft! Luckily it was the washroom because there is a lot of wet in there but at least it's built for it. (I have seen a couple of other threads on here about stolen windows but not in storage.) Any advice - would an alarm be of any use?:Angry:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
That bad.

If I was a thief I wouldn't scale a fence and take a risk just for a window.

I reckon it's either someone ' on the inside' or someone on the ' outside' was disturbed before they could nick anything.

Complain in writing and security might improve - I am sure they charge enough!

OP
OP
P
Jan 15, 2012
north london
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2008
If they were trying to break into the van, I can't imagine why they would have taken the window away. Seems they wanted the window. I guess a lot of people come and go on these sites but the storage is always locked up when we arrive to take our van out. In fact it's always annoyed us a bit that they have to come down and unlock and then hang around while we get ready to leave!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I had a rear window stolen from my old Autosleeper Symphony, and decided that some traveller had noticed the van outside my house while scrap metal collecting and just needed a Peugeot Boxer rear window. Seals were neatly cut and window maneuvered from behind the bike rack. The police wouldn't let me replace it until SOCO had been, which took 2 days and since it was raining all that time they got nothing, but my interior got wet!

There is a traveller site a mile away, but apparently the police don't (daren't) go there!:thumbdown:

Catherine

Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Sorry to hear about your theft. A few years ago I replaced my old vans bathroom window, it cost £500 I couldn't find a second hand one. My gut feeling it was a fellow storer, which for me makes the theft worse. Shame on them!
Hope you get it all sorted, smoothly & quickly . Good luck .

enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
towing for 20 odd years but now have our first motorhome.
We had an awning light lense stolen off our van in 'secure' storage :Angry:. It was key card entrance and exit with cctv on the gate, the only way in. We reckoned it was one of the other owners who nicked ours rather than spend a couple of quid to buy one:Angry:

Last edited:
OP
OP
P
Jan 15, 2012
north london
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2008
Ours is an Elddis Autoquest so a common enough van and window. We reckon it might have been travellers - horrible to think that someone else in storage might nick it. It's better to feel that they wanted the window than to think they were trying to break in I guess. There's nothing on there worth stealing especially at this time of year. We've been told it's £340 just for the window itself, but need to get it done quickly. Thanks for sympathy!

UK Pete

Free Member
Jan 16, 2014
kent
Funster No
MH
Renault van conversion
Exp
on/off since 1991in campervanss
Thiefs will steal anything to order, definetly sounds like a fellow motorhomer has been involved in this given the price of new windows for motohomes, shame on these people, it also makes me worry about the fitting of expensive items on the roof, ie satelite systems , aerials, solar panels etc, they are all just sitting there for the picking by some scum bag thief
pete

enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
You could try Graham Chambers on 01202 622195 or 07976 256514 for a secondhand one. He does do mail order and he wont rip you off. good luck:Smile:

Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
Years ago we had a caravan in storage; we picked it up and brought it home to get ready for our holidays - luckily it was only a couple of miles away and it was summer so not dark but the indicators weren't working. Husband checked all the exterior lights and none were working - all the bulbs had been nicked. So had one of the gas bottles from the front locker and the steady winder!

Another time, different storage, all but two of the bed "cushions" and one sleeping bag disappeared.

I don't use storage places any more.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Friends of our went to pick up their Transit based RWD MH from store, started OK into gear but would not move, the young son who was outside pointed out that there was something on the floor going round.

It was the end of the prop shaft as the rest had been nicked.

Martin

enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
Years ago we had a caravan in storage; we picked it up and brought it home to get ready for our holidays - luckily it was only a couple of miles away and it was summer so not dark but the indicators weren't working. Husband checked all the exterior lights and none were working - all the bulbs had been nicked. So had one of the gas bottles from the front locker and the steady winder!

Another time, different storage, all but two of the bed "cushions" and one sleeping bag disappeared.

[HI]I don't use storage places any more[/HI].

No, nor do we, we are lucky enough to be able get our van into the back garden ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
P
Jan 15, 2012
north london
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2008
yes just seen the van myself and it's clearly a professional job! Very horrible! So here's another question - with a £200 excess and the repair likely to be £450 - 500 should we make a claim? We have two vehicles including the motorhome insured in my husband's name without protected no claims. The insurers first reaction was don't claim but I guess they would say that. With the competitive insurance market does 'no claims' make that much difference?

enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
Depends on what other damage was done to remove it. If there is no damage to the body of the MH it might be just a nut and bolt job. If it is just a case of fitting a new/replacement window it could be a DIY job, if however, there is further damage it might be worth considering a professional repairer. Depending on your location there might be a trader-member of the forum in reasonable distance. Maybe worth asking on the forum if there is such member close enough.:winky:

Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
That bad.

I reckon it's either someone ' on the inside' or someone on the ' outside' was disturbed before they could nick anything.

The manager of a local storage site a few miles from me did just this sort of thing!

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Sorry to hear of this but on the bright side although expensive to buy they are very easy to fit
terry

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Must have been a Spuds Fan they'll nick anything

Spanish for Spurs Supporters

255.jpg

• Cada gallo canta en su muladar
Literal translation
: Each rooster sings on its dung-heap
Your Shi*: Get over It

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
sorry to hear about the theft xxxx hope the motorhome is fully sorted soon for you.

Make sure you get plenty of compensation from the storage people xxxx

Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
When I replaced my £500 bathroom window , I claimed . I wish I hadn't and just paid it out the money myself . Every time you renew your insurance you have to declare the theft and they get their money back by increasing your premiums.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
When I replaced my £500 bathroom window , I claimed . I wish I hadn't and just paid it out the money myself . Every time you renew your insurance you have to declare the theft and they get their money back by increasing your premiums.

We claimed for a cracked/ broken window last year. This year, of coarse, the quote had shot up, so we phoned around. Found a firm, told them about the claim, their response was 'that's OK, we wont take your prior claim into consideration.....' Got the cover for even less then what we paid before the window claim! It does pay to shop around.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
sorry to hear about the theft xxxx hope the motorhome is fully sorted soon for you.

Make sure you get plenty of compensation from the storage people xxxx

Hi Gail, Is it usual that you can claim against the storage people if you have a theft, please? I have often wondered if they can be held responsible if they have kept their gates locked and the cctv supposedly switched on. Joy x

OP
OP
P
Jan 15, 2012
north london
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2008
Thanks for answers about insurance. I think if we shop around we'll probably be OK next year. I don't think you can claim against the storage people unless you can prove negligence. Anyway looks like we can get the van sorted quickly so just have to put it behind us and hope no one locally needs any other bits! Have to go away even more this year and get it in use rather than in storage. We have no space to keep it at home so not much choice really. Thanks for comments - has made me feel better!

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
With the C&CC the conditions of storage used to be (and I'm going bacck a few years) that a unit is stored at your risk, and you are responsible for keeping up such cover.

However, in the event of a claim, a claim on the C&CC could be made for the excess on your policy.

Doesn't help next years premium, if the policy does not have protected no claims included.

As I say, this was the situation some years ago, 2000-2003 era.

enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
Thanks for answers about insurance. I think if we shop around we'll probably be OK next year. I don't think you can claim against the storage people unless you can prove negligence. Anyway looks like we can get the van sorted quickly so just have to put it behind us and hope no one locally needs any other bits! [HI] Have to go away even more this year and get it in use rather than in storage.[/HI] We have no space to keep it at home so not much choice really. Thanks for comments - has made me feel better!

Why not come to some of the shows/rallies, we have a great time camping with the Funsters::bigsmile:

enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
Thanks - retiring this year so might well do that.

Newbury May 15th to 19th is a good place to start and you'll get a great welcome, then you get to know lots of Funsters and where they are going for the rest of the summer.:thumb:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Thanks for answers about insurance. I think if we shop around we'll probably be OK next year. I don't think you can claim against the storage people unless you can prove negligence. Anyway looks like we can get the van sorted quickly so just have to put it behind us and hope no one locally needs any other bits! Have to go away even more this year and get it in use rather than in storage. We have no space to keep it at home so not much choice really. Thanks for comments - has made me feel better!

You could always stick a notice in the windows along the lines of "Smile you're on CCTV TRANSMITTED TO MY LAP TOP"

It's BS but it might put someone off!:thumb:

enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
I have used my car/van dash cam as cctv by plugging it into a jump start. Lasts all night with a 16gb sd card.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back