Free Member
Sep 26, 2018
new forest
Funster No
MH
Sold it!
Exp
I'm a newbie
We all know how simple it is for intruders to open and get through a MH or caravan window. All that's needed is a bent piece of wire. So my idea to prevent this is also very simple and a lot cheaper than anything I've seen on the market. Buy a dozen 2" panel pins which should be just about the right thickness. Find a drill bit that is the right size, make a test hole in piece of scrap wood and test the pins are a snug fit. Close the window catch, drill through the lug and the keep, cut the panel pins to length and insert them, hey presto job done. I appreciate you probably wont be too happy doing this if you have an expensive late model but when the pins are removed and put away somewhere safe then you would be hard pressed to see your handy work My apologies if this has been discussed before, sorry.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I did this a few years ago. Just remember to carry a few spare pins - I keep dropping mine down the back of the seats...............................

The only caveat is that the extra security is not visible from the outside so you may still get some miscreant have a go.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I did the same with our X244 front ended (2002-2006) Hobby to the front doors.
I drilled a small hole (rivet sized) through the door card through to the right of the 'pop up' door lock button and included the button. (Don't aim for the middle of the button, there's a steel rod in there).

All that remains when either leaving the van or going to bed is to insert the rivet through the door card and through the button which prevents the door being unlocked.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Ages after buying my van, my son spotted tiny holes drilled through the door and the pop-up button (whatever it is called). I presume this has been done to insert a pin.

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
image.jpeg
I'm just waiting to patent my very expensive window security device. It should be available in all good hardware stores soon.
Probably retailing at around 1.99 for ten .(y)

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
View attachment 307319 I'm just waiting to patent my very expensive window security device. It should be available in all good hardware stores soon.
A piece of spring steel would be good there, just push it back with your thumb to release the catch. I'd buy that (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

quilkin

Free Member
Nov 30, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I have Seitz sliding windows - is there a similar trick for those? Are sliding windows more or less secure than top-hinge ones?

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
View attachment 307319 I'm just waiting to patent my very expensive window security device. It should be available in all good hardware stores soon.
Now you've done it! As it's related to motorhomes, expect the price of cup hooks to rise to £80 per 10. :LOL:
Good idea though.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back