Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Motorhoming since 2006, 30 years tent camping in Africa
Hi folks

The windows on our Fiat Ducato move very slowly, and one of my cogs recently lost a few teeth.

What can I use to lube the windows so they slide up and down more easily?

thanks
Rog

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
A little light oil along the rubbers may help - but you need to address or check other issues first.

1. Is the window straight? If the runners are getting clogged with old grease, or the rollers worn, it may pull the window up slightly off true - making it stiff.

2. Motor - is it working to full effect, or on its' way out?

3. Cables/Cogs/Running gear. Is all this free and running smooth, or old and clogged? Replace, Clean and re-grease if need be. Carb cleaner will rid any old grease in difficult to reach places.​

OP
OP
RogerIvy
Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We've actually cleaned and serviced the whole thing except for the channels that are exposed (didn't want to oil and grease them).

Was hoping someone may know of the right lube to use, eg:
Silicon
Graphite
etc.

Rog

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Silicone aerosols are readily available, try screwfix or b & q , spray it on the rubbers and guides should ease things

OP
OP
RogerIvy
Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Silicone aerosols are readily available, try screwfix or b & q , spray it on the rubbers and guides should ease things

Thanks for that. I also posted this on Out 'n About and they say pretty much the same thing.

Rog

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
I always use Silicone to lubricate all external locks and windows. Best thing to use is a spray that is sold for dashboards as it contains Silicone. Don't get any on the steering wheel though it be a problem making it slip. :Eeek:

I don't like using any oil based spray such as WD40 etc. as it can have a detrimental effect on rubber.

Larry beat me to it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

niggle

Banned - Rule 1
Banned
Aug 5, 2010
SOUTH AND FRANCE
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
:shout: hi the best stuff to use is rain x sold at halfords,, it not only lubes the windowe it stops dirt,,dust and of course rain,,also stops snow,,frost, if tou put it on the rubbers it protects them as well,,pro drivers swear by it and it works even if you wash the m/h it stays on niggle:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back