Window locks (1 Viewer)

Jan 13, 2020
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer B514
Exp
6 months in a 10m Southwind in the USA (2014). Just bought a Hymer and embarking on a tour of Spain
I had a break in yesterday, van parked in a busy seaside town while I’m staying in a flat for a month. Luckily they seemed to be searching only for money and nothing was taken, albeit a huge mess and a few things broken. They tried to get in the main habitation door but the additional lock did the trick (I need a new bracket though) but they managed to pop the window open. I was thinking before that It looks like a weak spot.
What can anyone recommend lock-wise for your bog-standard MH window and also the passenger side sliding window (Hymer B514).

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
The harder it is to break-in, the more damage they do! Get a good, loud alarm with movement detectors....

OP
OP
Sooz52
Jan 13, 2020
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer B514
Exp
6 months in a 10m Southwind in the USA (2014). Just bought a Hymer and embarking on a tour of Spain
Ah, the vehicle has one but the previous owners disarmed it by removing something- I’ll see if I can get it fixed ... all the sensors are in place.
I’m still interested in something basic for the windows though, to put off the opportunist.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Also the ‘Lock m out‘ website.........

Oct 9, 2017
Wisbech
Funster No
MH
2007 Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2005
To stop the opening of the sliding side window push fit a small piece of wood (or plastic) on the inside. Needs to be cut to enable a firm fit, but easy to remove (from inside) when needed. We have done this to both of our Hymers.

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Lock m out as a visual deterrent and some level of security. But it they damaged the door before moving on to the window they will just RIP the window off with the locks causing a whole lot more damage. I have LMOUT
fitted
Get some flashing LEDs fitted - another visual but they dont need to be activated by an alarm just look as if they do. Obviously the proper job is better.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Get some flashing LEDs fitted - another visual but they dont need to be activated by an alarm just look as if they do. Obviously the proper job is better.

The Milenco Window Alarms are fitted with flashing LED's

OP
OP
Sooz52
Jan 13, 2020
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer B514
Exp
To stop the opening of the sliding side window push fit a small piece of wood (or plastic) on the inside. Needs to be cut to enable a firm fit, but easy to remove (from inside) when needed. We have done this to both of our Hymers.
Could you post a photo please? Sounds good.

OP
OP
Sooz52
Jan 13, 2020
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer B514
Exp
Lock m out as a visual deterrent and some level of security. But it they damaged the door before moving on to the window they will just RIP the window off with the locks causing a whole lot more damage. I have LMOUT
fitted

Sounds good too, I know this security thing is a bit of a grey area as everyone has their opinion and level of comfort.

Oct 9, 2017
Wisbech
Funster No
MH
2007 Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2005
Could you post a photo please? Sounds good.
Sorry for the delay in replying but have been out all day and only just seen your post. I attach a couple of photos for your information. The plastic insert was just a piece of plastic that I had at the time, however, a square or rectangular piece of wood would do. As my piece of plastic was L-shaped, I insert it into the bottom track and fits up against the black rubber seal of the window to where the sliding part slides to. If using a square or rectangular section then the length of the insert would need to be longer so that it wedged up against the front of the fixed part of the window where the rubber seal bends up.
8B4F7691-1495-4599-BDEF-6D8942756F26.jpegA5DF5760-2E4E-42B4-9969-6B5F2A19BF48.jpeg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We had one of our PVCs broken into in Pisa, the got in by forcing one of the side habitation windows which broke the plastic catches, fortunately our dogs were inside and all hell must've broken loose when they did it so they never got in (blinds down so the burglars didn't see them unfortunately otherwise they'd have left our van alone!). In order to continue with our holiday I used some straps round the window support arms and the blind casing to keep them securely closed (cable ties could have been used if I hadn't had any straps). This could be done to act as a deterrent even if you haven't had the catches broken, just use some bright coloured straps so they can be seen outside especially if you have heavily tinted windows.

We seriously considered the Lock-m-Out products ourselves but the damage that would be caused with them on could be a lot worse as the window would break instead if sufficient force was placed on it.

OP
OP
Sooz52
Jan 13, 2020
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer B514
Exp
Hmm it’s hard isn’t it - if they want to get in they’ll get in. However this was almost definitely youngsters looking for cash. I suppose keeping opportunists out is the goal here. Professionals will get in.

OP
OP
Sooz52
Jan 13, 2020
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer B514
Exp
Sorry for the delay in replying but have been out all day and only just seen your post. I attach a couple of photos for your information. The plastic insert was just a piece of plastic that I had at the time, however, a square or rectangular piece of wood would do. As my piece of plastic was L-shaped, I insert it into the bottom track and fits up against the black rubber seal of the window to where the sliding part slides to. If using a square or rectangular section then the length of the insert would need to be longer so that it wedged up against the front of the fixed part of the window where the rubber seal bends up.
View attachment 418783View attachment 418784
Perfect thanks, looks relatively easy. I’ll get the saw out 👍

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
also the passenger side sliding window (Hymer B514).
I made a stop for our sliding window. I used a length of 11mm aluminium angle and bent the ends that go against the glass and plastic the other end.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

OP
OP
Sooz52
Jan 13, 2020
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer B514
Exp
I only wonder why Hymer don’t make it a part of the vehicle, it looks simple and effective.

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Interested in these window locks,but can anyone advise:

1....Will they fit behind a Remis blind casing@

2....What size are they, its not detailed in the detail spec?

3....Are they only available in six packs? would need eight if I treat all windows.

Thanks in anticipation.

OP
OP
Sooz52
Jan 13, 2020
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer B514
Exp
Standard white coated cup hooks.
Cool, I’ll pop to a ferretería tomorrow. TBH it looks a much better option than an outside lock; maybe red ones would be more obvious as a deterrent.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Cool, I’ll pop to a ferretería tomorrow. TBH it looks a much better option than an outside lock; maybe red ones would be more obvious as a deterrent.
It depends if they can be seen outside your windows - if they are tinted then white or yellow will be clearer.

OP
OP
Sooz52
Jan 13, 2020
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer B514
Exp
It depends if they can be seen outside your windows - if they are tinted then white or yellow will be clearer.
Ok I’ll try a few options 👍

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Many years ago at a MH show I asked the Lock-m-out people what happens if you keep pulling on a window with one fitted inside ... "er ... don't know" was the reply as they'd never tried it and didn't want to risk ruining a window by doing so ... if someone wants to be in via a window they will KEEP pulling at it until something gives, I'd rather it was the catches than the window!

Burglars won't give a toss if they're fitted or not as they pull the window until the catches break ... or the window does! We've seen 2 motorhomes on our travels with broken windows because the catches didn't give when they were being broken into ... if it's gonna happen I'd rather have the catches break which can be easily replaced than the whole window.

This is something I posted on a thread previously:

We had considered getting some of the Lock-m-out window catch covers, which makes the catches unable to be 'pushed' up to open the window and no doubt adds a bit of strengthening to the catches themselves but I was never overly happy about them ... as my question was ... if the catches don't give way then the window would surely? I asked if this test had been carried out on a window fitted with Lock-m-out covers but it hadn't so wasn't content to buy them. This concern was well-founded as we observed during our recent holiday.​
Whilst staying on some parking for the night (approved for MHs to stop on but NO camping), a British MH drew up and we got chatting and found out that they were travelling Europe for 9 months and not due back in the UK until September. We'd noticed that their MH had a patched up side window and it transpired that it had been broken into by prising open the said window. They didn't have any 'Lock-m-out' covers fitted but the original window catches had held firm and therefore the window had 'succumbed' instead and cracked ... needless to say the miscreants got in and made off with a load of stuff. The upshot is they couldn't get a replacement window in Europe (Swift Kontiki) so had to fork out €300 to get it fibre-glassed so they didn't have to come back to the UK early, fortunately their insurance company were happy with so long as it was made secure and agreed to cover the cost, as well as the cost of replacing it when they finally returns to the UK. Whilst a 'break in' would be bad news, having the additional hassle of sorting out a broken poly-window too would be extremely annoying (as it was for him) ... photos of his temporary repair:​

1598389427676.png

1598389415251.png

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
A
simple mod is to take a length of copper pipe (15mm) and cut a slot in each end having measured between the handles. The slots fit over the handles thus stopping the fasteners being opened. As is usual if it looks s if there is something of value to steal, eg a laptop.TV then hide them away. I was advised by the police not to close the window blinds but leave it to look as if the van is empty of desirable goodies.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back