Dec 17, 2011
Reading
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630g
Exp
Im a newbie
Hi All,

Out this weekend in the rain and noticed that the main window was leaking. Looks like water is getting between the window seal and the bodywork. The water was pouring over the side of the van at the time of the downpour and running down the wall inside the van.

All is now dry but I need to either re-seal or replace the seal. I have a 2003 Swift Sundance 630G. I have see the seals for sale on Ebay but would like to by from an online dealer if possible. Any contact details would be appreciated.

Would you replace or re-seal the seal?

Cheers for the advice :thumb:

Merle

Free Member
Mar 31, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
Do you have somewhere you can work in the dry because if the water came through it will have soaked the framework and that needs to be dried out before you seal it in. To make a good job you will need to remove the window, dry out all signs of damp and then refit using a new seal. Personally I would you a good quality caravan/motorhome clear sealant to bed the rubber/neoprene seal. If you do not have the facilities or are at all worried have the job done professionally, done wrong WILL result in a rotted out mohome

OP
OP
W

Wollow007

Free Member
Dec 17, 2011
Reading
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630g
Exp
Im a newbie
Will make sure its nice and dry before I attempt anything. Also make sure everything is dry before I re-seal the seal back or replace the seal itself.

I'm pretty hands on and not worried about taking the window and seal out.

It does look like someone has had a go at sealing it before. All the wood around the window frame looks good, you can peal back the seal inside the van to expose the wooden frame which is still a nice light wood colour. From what I can see once all of the catch lock points are removed the seal is only held in place with some staples and sealant.

I think the hardest bit will be finding the seal and getting a nice dry day or two to do the job :Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the rubber seal is often reusable.

mark the joint position and hinges etc
remove hinges and keeps for the catches
pull out the in fill piece, usually white
pull staples
peel of the rubber slowly and carefully to avoid tearing
clean off mastic from both sides, white spirit is a solvent
dry out any damp
fit a new mastic strip on a roll to cover all the wall thickness. make sure its flush to the front edge
reapply clean rubber seal starting at the same joint point marked earlier
press the rubber with a length of batten to ensure it beds flat
leave to settle for about an hour
staple the rubber in place with staple gun
apply a very small smear of mastic under overlapping edge outside to resist water getting in
reapply finishing trim lining up the screw holes
refit hinges and catches
put talcum powder on seal to stop it sticking to window

job done, however I would personally reseal the window hinge bar too to make sure

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back