LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
I've seen quite a few awnings fitted without the brackets, my last german van had the omnistor awning (fitted in germany) bolted straight through the wall.......total PITA to get off the van

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
The theft of vehicle parts is indeed a big industry and nothing new at all. See the multitude of reports of stolen wheels and catalytic converters. Or as widely reported on this forum a few years back, the theft in a supermarket car park of the front bumper, grille and headlights from a motorhome, carried out by a gang of thieves in broad daylight

Put on a high viz jacket and nobody suspects anything if you are apparently fixing a vehicle in broad daylight

OP
OP
TONCAZ
Dec 30, 2019
Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner t700
Exp
Early 2019
They must have got inside it as the bolts are there.
As it has been so long now since last use have you looked on the other side of it, just to be sure, as the memory fades over time:LOL:
This awning has three HD plates that bolt through the MOHO, then the awning hooks onto plates then secured by three bolts through the bottom, so easy removed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
They aren't self tappers, they are 15mm M5 bolts with a nylock nut.

20201229_133859.jpg

20201229_135333.jpg

So you have to wind the awning out a bit to get a socket on the nut.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
So a straight swap for these maybe 🤔 unless Mr thieving bugger has a full torx tool kit..

Screenshot_20201229-140035_eBay.jpg

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
You could try Rose awnings or hillside awnings.
They usually have 2nd hand ones in good condition.

Nov 7, 2018
Bristol UK
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
I'm a newbie
It's just an ebay listing 👍
Sorry, yes I was having a senior moment, yesterday, I think I was so angry, reading all the posts, that the Red most came down!
I remember thinking at the time we fitted ours, this looks vulnerable. Now I see I was right, I am going to speak to an engineering freind, to see if we can come up with a real humdinger of a plan, like welding razor blades all along the bottom.
(“Not seriously” , but would like too”).
We might lose an awning, but at least we would gain some fingers.!

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
The way I see it there are 2 answers to these types of incidents
1.. make it easy for them and therefore hopefully not damage your van...or
2.. make it difficult and therefore probably damage van BUT be assured they will get it regardless of damage caused.

OP
OP
TONCAZ
Dec 30, 2019
Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner t700
Exp
Early 2019
The way I see it there are 2 answers to these types of incidents
1.. make it easy for them and therefore hopefully not damage your van...or
2.. make it difficult and therefore probably damage van BUT be assured they will get it regardless of damage caused.
If they want it they will get it no matter what, option 1 seems the best (less damage)

OP
OP
TONCAZ
Dec 30, 2019
Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner t700
Exp
Early 2019
Sorry, yes I was having a senior moment, yesterday, I think I was so angry, reading all the posts, that the Red most came down!
I remember thinking at the time we fitted ours, this looks vulnerable. Now I see I was right, I am going to speak to an engineering freind, to see if we can come up with a real humdinger of a plan, like welding razor blades all along the bottom.
(“Not seriously” , but would like too”).
We might lose an awning, but at least we would gain some fingers.!
Great idea, cheers for that..........

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Looks like an opening in the market if someone comes up with a reasonably priced security idea.

Maybe a hole or two drilled in brackets to take a lock or padlock? :unsure:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Omnistore awning looks nothing like that. Suggest you come and try and steal mine

sadly my omnistor looks just like the Fiamma photo 🤔

we had to change ours due to wind damage and was amazed to find mine was and is fixed to the bracket only by externally accessed self tappers 😳 off in 3 minutes

That would work for the bracket fixings but they wouldn't come off from the outside anyway. The awning is held in the brackets by a few self-tappers which are easily removed. If in a hurry two people could have it off in under a minute with no need to wind it out.

Now theres a challenge ..
Whats your address?

P.s my omnistore awning is exactly like that and i removed it and replaced it in under 10 minutes back in the summer
OK, just been over to the storage and there is nothing that can be unscrewed from underneath. The ONLY way is to wind out the awning a couple of feet (inverter needs to be on to do that) and with a spanner undo the three lots of nyloc nuts bolting it to the van

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
OK, just been over to the storage and there is nothing that can be unscrewed from underneath. The ONLY way is to wind out the awning a couple of feet (inverter needs to be on to do that) and with a spanner undo the three lots of nyloc nuts bolting it to the van
There are as many systems as there are installers. The one mentioned most often by both Fiamma and Omnistor / Dometic involves brackets bolted to the van side. The awning is lifted into an upper retaining channel then lowered slightly. It is held at the bottom by self-tappers / threaded fasteners / rivets to two or more of the brackets. Then there are installers that simply bolt the awning casing through the wall plus many custom brackets available to suit various roof-to-wall profiles. The system you have is arguably best of all: easy to remove for repair but more difficult for a thief.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
With these on top it's never coming off 😂 it would have to be unbolted from the van 😎

View attachment 452016
If anybody fits these shear nuts, just put a small cut in each side of the nut with the junior hacksaw to weaken the shear point, otherwise it gets really tight and crushes the aluminium before shearing. Just fitted the middle one on ours and standard nylock nuts on each end with the tamper proof bolts.

20210105_123320.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back