wind out awning, colour / length / style (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
@milliethehymer

hello , not sure you have had time to play with our awning yet, but here is mine, wound fully out, like I think yours was, then retracted about one turn of the handle to tension (y)

IMG_1664.JPG
IMG_1665.JPG

it took me a few goes and some cursing before I realised

I also have a real problem getting my 'winding pole' out once the awning is fully away, not sure why but I usually have to slightly open the awning (1/4 turn on handle) before I can get it out

Another excuse for changing :) or maybe an inherent design fault

Good luck with yours, you will find you only really need the centre bar if it is forecast to rain, other option is to put it away before it rains, or as many do, lower one leg to let rain run off more easily. The canvas will easily stretch and spoil if a lot of water gathers overnight unnoticed (y)

David

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
@Techno

sorry Andy, got distracted, then forgot :whistle:

IMG_1666.JPG

But we really do not have those catches on ours

Have left it up so I can take any other angles you suggest where they might be hiding :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Yes you have the arms missing that brace it at 45 degrees and lock it out? very strange, if you change get the better one (y)

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
A picture here from 8000 Omnistor see bottom right
awning-jpg.102558

Attachments

• AWNING.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 111
OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
must have been an option maybe, or other possibility is, mine was a demo for a couple of years and I reckon quite a few bits got 'borrowed' some never to return, going out to look for empty fixing points right now

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
At least I now know they weren't nicked, just never fitted, my rail is slightly different to that diagram it has no slot

but it does go pretty tight without them, must be something built in somewhere

thanks for the input, but really must go I am meant to be putting up a curtain rail while Bev is out :)

IMG_1667.JPG
IMG_1668.JPG

Oct 27, 2013
Portglenone, Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum185GT
Exp
Since July 2012
@milliethehymer

I also have a real problem getting my 'winding pole' out once the awning is fully away, not sure why but I usually have to slightly open the awning (1/4 turn on handle) before I can get it out

David

Had a similar problem with ours until I asked an Omnistor rep at a show; he suggested winding the awning in (or out) then turning the handle so that it feels as though it should come out, hold it vertical alongside the van wall then push up. Handle should come out cleanly. Does not detach if you have it at an angle. That's what I do, anyway. :D

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
@milliethehymer

hello , not sure you have had time to play with our awning yet, but here is mine, wound fully out, like I think yours was, then retracted about one turn of the handle to tension (y)

View attachment 102550 View attachment 102551

it took me a few goes and some cursing before I realised

Another excuse for changing :) or maybe an inherent design fault

Good luck with yours, you will find you only really need the centre bar if it is forecast to rain, other option is to put it away before it rains, or as many do, lower one leg to let rain run off more easily. The canvas will easily stretch and spoil if a lot of water gathers overnight unnoticed (y)

David

Thanks @DavidG58 , not played with awning today but will certainly try the technique.

Interesting re the rain comments too, very useful(y)

Lee27

Free Member
Aug 23, 2015
Lancs
Funster No
MH
Hymer B644GL
Exp
since 2007
Hi David

We have a very similar awning to yours, we have a 5 meter 5800, a majority of the parts are interchangeable and they are of the same generation. the 5500/5800 don't have the clips and extra support to brace the arms straight, it isn't that they aren't (weren't) a good awning, it's just that they are older.

the newer omnistor/thule awnings will fit the support bracket on your van, don't know about other brands, we've already asked and they are interchangeable, the support bracket fastened to the van isn't really supposed to be removed, it's full length and bonded as well as bolted, though i'm sure it's possible if someone will put the effort and time in. are you aware that going by your second image in you first post; the very left hand screw going from under the awning bracket upwards into the awning, looks to be most of the way out?

we have the same issues with the awning appearing not to close all the way and the winding handle being awkward to remove, these are caused by wear of the gearbox in the awning. although the awning seems to be open a bit, it is locked in place and can't fall open, the gearbox just has play in it allowing it to rest further out.

regarding getting the handle out; we struggled with it for about a year until it was explained and shown to us by someone from hill view awnings at a show, the part the handle goes into is almost a cone shape, and due to the gearbox being worn, when wound right in the bottom of the cone goes off center so it is no longer vertical and at an angle. the trick is to look up at the cone and see to which side the bottom of it has gone, to see the angle it is at, then align the handle so it's in line (vertical) with the cone, not vertical to the ground and not parallel to the van. then push it up slightly, turn anti clockwise a touch, and it will just fall out. (i hope this makes sense, let me know if it doesn't). now we find it a doddle to do.

Hope this helps
Lee

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
@Lee27

Great spot on the screw Lee, many thanks, we have lost one before completely, I would have thought they would have had lock tite or similar on them, but maybe that depends who fits them

Will investigate the angles for handle retraction, I do admire your eyes being good enough to see inside from ground level, but it certainly makes sense when sometimes it just drops out, as it always does when I leave it in during setting up o_O, its only when fully retracted it won't let go, will be applying you advice next time, always assuming I can remember it then (y)

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Have now wound the awning out.

Mine is like yours David, and doesn't have the locking feature on the horizontal bars.

However, using the technique as described, have managed to get the awning out without excessive sagging etc.

Thanks again @Techno and @DavidG58 for your help and suggestions

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Hi David,

Regarding the 'ripping' of the awning strip on fitting, we've experienced this too and have taken the following steps to overcome it:

1 - use a metal file to chamfer the sharp edges on the locating channel (shown in you first photo).
2 - apply a silicon spray along the channel and/or the awning fabric.

These measures make 'loading' the awning much much easier.

Ian

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Thanks Ian @bigtwin I have tried the file bit but with limited success and done the old furniture polish trick we used to do with our caravan, trouble is the damage is done to the awning, I am looking to get it repaired, we have an awning adjustment firm local to us, I am hoping they can do it fairly cheaply (y)(y)

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Thanks Ian @bigtwin I have tried the file bit but with limited success and done the old furniture polish trick we used to do with our caravan, trouble is the damage is done to the awning, I am looking to get it repaired, we have an awning adjustment firm local to us, I am hoping they can do it fairly cheaply (y)(y)

Granted, it isn't easy as there is so little room to move the file but it definitely looks as though there is scope for further removal of material. You might need a new file if the one you've been using is old?

If you don't round it off it's likely that you will damage your repaired awning again.

Ian

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back