Wind Noise (1 Viewer)

Burgy

Free Member
Aug 14, 2017
Funster No
Hi all I have just taken delivery of my new Bailey 68-2 motorhome and I`m getting loud wind noise around the overcab skylight, is anyone else experiencing this problem.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Yes, ours is the same. Contacted our dealer who said he knew nothing about it. Contacted Bailey who are aware of the problem. They are in discussion with the dealer about it.

Wyn

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I'd bet on it being a known warranty issue with a dealer fix available.

That was the case when our new (non-Bailey) MH's skylight valance started rattling anyway. Sorted now, at no cost to us.

Nov 1, 2015
Norwich
Funster No
MH
RAPIDO 686F
Exp
Hi all I have just taken delivery of my new Bailey 68-2 motorhome and I`m getting loud wind noise around the overcab skylight, is anyone else experiencing this problem.
Sorry to hear this but if this is a new van and the dealer has allowed you to take away with, I'm sure by now as this has been on here recently, a known problem, then that's plain stupid. Obviously if he genuinely does not know then surely Bailey themselves should be sorting this know problem asap. Hope you get it resolved satisfactorily very soon.
Ray

Pierrele voiture

Free Member
Sep 27, 2017
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey 68-2
Exp
6 months (Caravanning 16 years)
Wind noise? From the moment we picked up our Bailey 68-2 from the dealer in Hitchin we could not hold a conversation due to the wind noise from the roof. We were off to France two days later so had to use door draught excluder which did the job. Upon our return two and a half weeks later we took it into the same dealers branch near Daventry with a promise that it would be fixed. We duly collected it only to find that our draught excluder had not been removed, we immediately went back into the service office only to be told very sarcastically by the service manager that it was the customers job to remove it!

The directors got involved and thought they had solved the problem....after two more journeys the noise is back, we have been told that they are going to speak to Bailey, that was four days ago, we are still waiting!

Jan 23, 2017
St Albans,
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Mine was fixed by Baileys as they were doing several other jobs .It is just the rubber seal needs to be replaced by a slightly wider one. Baileys are well aware of the problem. It only took them 5 mins.

Mark Michaels

Free Member
Mar 25, 2018
Montgomery, Wales
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
3 years
Could you possibly be more precise about what draught excluder you used and how you fitted it. I have the same problem on new 68-2 bought end of last last week and have a long trip planned from Thursday so may not get the seal replaced in time and fear for our sanity with the level of wind noise.

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
Could you possibly be more precise about what draught excluder you used and how you fitted it. I have the same problem on new 68-2 bought end of last last week and have a long trip planned from Thursday so may not get the seal replaced in time and fear for our sanity with the level of wind noise.
Sorry unable to offer help regarding the Bailey fix - but the Swift fix is using the pipe lagging normally used to lag the copper pipes up in the loft that has a slit longwise and then cut up and slide into place to stop the vibration. I have a few pieces up in the loft and willing to photograph and upload if it helps.

Last edited:

Mark Michaels

Free Member
Mar 25, 2018
Montgomery, Wales
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
3 years
Thanks for the quick response, much appreciated. Hoping Pierrele Voiture above will respond with his fix.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
We had a brand new 2011 Swift Kontiki the wind noise in the rear when traveling was unbearable and the draughts were terrible, never was sorted but we have had an American rv , Italian coach built and now the Hymer , would I ever buy another British motorhome again ? No way
Interesting chat with a dealer recently they have cut down their Bailey order as they cause the most problems now and are not worth the hassle :cry:

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
welcome animated smiley3.gif

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
The Swift Front Roof valence on a Swift may look great but there were so many problems with The Rio,s and later the new shaped boleros front valences either rattling whilst driving, or worse still lifting away from the edges due to lack of secure fixings. One member on Swift Talk came up with a fix for his front roof light rattling, and that was to put a piece of pipe lagging between the inner front lip and the hinges to take up the slack, which seemed to work, however it was only supposed to be a temporary fix by him until Swift sorted it.
We had a new 2017 Bolero on order for June 2017 delivery, I along with many others were never informed of a true build date, some customers were 3 months overdue on their orders, especially Kon Tikkis. I then posted on The ST forum that unless I could be given confirmation that our yet to be built Bolero would have the front valence problems sorted, along with a list of silly manufacturing problems that were well documented, that we would cancel our order.
Swift did not respond to me personally or on the forum, despite many other members asking Swift to respond to my direct question and backing me up, Swift ignored me and everyone else.
That left me no alternative but to cancel my 67K order, as I felt that I would be a mug to buy one knowing it was coming with these known defects.
Our dealer was very upset with us as he thought he would be stuck with a Bolero, but we did buy a more expensive German Built van from them, just to try and get something that was put together with more care and attention to detail, but with a lot less toys as standard.
The week after we cancelled our order Swift announced they were dropping The Bolero from production, despite doing a whole costly redesign in 2016.
Whilst British manufacturers have full order books, they will assume that their existing lack lustre QA regimes can continue, however our dealers for one are getting tired of putting all the build problems right, and will not be stocking the Swift Brand in the future.
Shame as they are a good looking product, with great interior layouts, just let down by a total lack of production methods and end of line quality checks.
Les

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
We had a brand new 2011 Swift Kontiki the wind noise in the rear when traveling was unbearable and the draughts were terrible, never was sorted but we have had an American rv , Italian coach built and now the Hymer , would I ever buy another British motorhome again ? No way
Interesting chat with a dealer recently they have cut down their Bailey order as they cause the most problems now and are not worth the hassle :cry:
So, any advise on the wind noise on the overcab skylight on Bailey's :rolleyes:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Ours was fixed by an upgraded seal under warranty. (y)

Wyn

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Is this kind of extra rooflight on low profile coachbuilts partly the result of the designer/marketeer's obsession with putting very dark tints on the hab windows? To relieve the interior gloom they stick a massive rooflight above the cab. It must be like a greenhouse in there under a summer sun. It seems to have started with caravans then spread to coachbuilt MHs. You lose the handy storage above the cab.

To be fair, I've never been a fan of the obligatory sunroof for the British car market either, which always seemed eventually to leak, or get stuck, as well as generate wind noise.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We recently had the rooflights removed and resealed after a water leak. Excellent job but we later discovered a draught (no noise) we have never had in 9 years of ownership. It looks like a little too much sealant has been used thus allowing the edges of the rooflight to be clear of the roof, causing the draught. Once we've got some better weather I'll see if I can either tighten down the sealant or fit some sealing strips to the edges.

I recall once seeing an article where draught excluder was fixed to the roof where the rooflight came down - might try that.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back