Oct 27, 2013
Sax Alicante area Spain
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Since 2004
Hi guys
Just had fitted a 80c auto search dish . Never used the old Katrein one cos it didn't work.
My question is (and it might be silly of me to ask but-) in what sort of wind strength are they safe to use. I put mine up the other day and it seemed to be flexing a bit in a breeze.
Having cost a fair bit (to me ) I didn't want to take any risks of damage.
I always see same sort of dishes on vans on sites left up perm.
Any advice please:Smile:

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
I have an Oyster 85cm dish and will generally leave it up until the van starts to get buffeted by the wind. Don't know what the recommended wind speed should be but in 4 years I have not had a problem. It also depends on the wind direction. I know when the picture starts pixelating that it is time to take it down.

OP
OP
Millibobs

Millibobs

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Sax Alicante area Spain
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Since 2004
I have an Oyster 85cm dish and will generally leave it up until the van starts to get buffeted by the wind. Don't know what the recommended wind speed should be but in 4 years I have not had a problem. It also depends on the wind direction. I know when the picture starts pixelating that it is time to take it down.

Many thanks Southampton will try when on site in Mazarron next week. At the moment the "bus" is parked in the garden next to north facing gates that get the full north wind across our field with no protection at all.
Regards
David:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
We had the Oyster on our last van but switched to the Roadpro dome on the new one as 1. That's what the dealer stocked and 2. I was bothered at times by the wind with the dish and lost more then a few games of footie when I lowered it for safety. Don't have that with the dome but of the two I'd prefer the Oyster if only because it's lower when down.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Many thanks Southampton will try when on site in Mazarron next week. At the moment the "bus" is parked in the garden next to north facing gates that get the full north wind across our field with no protection at all.
Regards
David:thumb:

Oooops on our recent trip you may not need it at Mazarron unless you have a Sky box and card or like watching round and round Sky news or foreign channels.

No BBC or ITV channels until you get back up above the Biaritz level, someone is bound to come on and say different

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
It very much depends on the direction of the wind. Sideways on, it will take a lot more than when it is front on acting as a sail. There is a sacrificial part in there that will break and bring the dish down if it gets too bad, but of course, you are stuffed until it is replaced, all be it, the part, not costing a lot. When I spoke to Oyster on this very subject during the heavy winds, last November, they basically said to lower the dish when the pixilation of the screen, made trying to watch the the television annoying.:Smile:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
to add my 5 pence worth.... :Blush: its not only potential damage to the dish, lots of flexing can take its toll on the roof..:Eeek:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I've noticed a lot of the 'travellers' in France tow their caravans with the sat dish up. I don't know why, perhaps it's a signal like the bottles on the roof in Turkey.

OP
OP
Millibobs

Millibobs

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Sax Alicante area Spain
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks to all replys and help.
Think I'll only use the dish in calm or little wind,reason I got the new dish is cos had total roof replacement after hailstone storm damage last October.
Cheers guys:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back