Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Why are small wind generators not more popular in solar challenged countries like the UK? I think I have only ever seen a handful of motorhomes that use them.

Papa Smurf

Sep 25, 2007
Funster No
I discussed this very subject with some exhibitors at York,
Bascially, it's because they don't work well enough. As a couple of people ( and they were satellite sellers ) said, "If they worked, don't you think we'd use them at shows?"

I accept that in the right conditions, they would provide some power, but , like any natural source, how often do you get the right conditions? I had intended to have a hybrid solar/wind setup (when we eventually do get our MH), but have been convinced, at the moment I hasten to add, that it would be wiser to invest in additional solar panels, rather than my original intention. And no, I'm not associated in any way with any wholesaler or retailer of any goods, let alone solar panels.

However, "you pays your money and makes your choice." Personally, any green power is preferable in my opinion, so congrats on airing the subject. I hope that others will air their views too, as it will aid me in my final decision.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

V

vicdicdoc

Deleted User
I looked into this too, apart from those for marine use the only option is [a] pinch one of those that power some rural road signs :winky: or build one . . I got hold of the plans to 'convert' a Stermey Archer[?] bicycle hub generator but it will only throw out around half an Amp . . I'm still looking for alternative ways [Sylvia likes to do keep fit so I was thinking of hooking up a generator to her bicycle and getting her to do an hour a day.
Sylv likes to shower & dry her hair most mornings so I HAD to invest in a 1500 watt inverter and a new 130 amp battery - it still alarms after 10 minutes of hair drier use . . .

V

vicdicdoc

Deleted User
Plenty of choice but the prices are high . . I want one that costs next to nothing !

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
i love them for our domestic electricity supply (why people object is beyond me:whatthe:)

God know how fast it would spin though if i fitted one to the bus cruising at 55 mph:ROFLMAO:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
I looked into buying one of these when we first went Full-Timing. The cost and setting up as against Solar put me off.

John (RR). There used to be a Scandinavian Guy running around the Benidorm area with a Large Van/Camper that he had a 6 foot Propellor on the back. I believe he was using a Motor Alternator driven by the Propellor that then charged his batteries. :winky:

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
I discussed this very subject with some exhibitors at York,
Bascially, it's because they don't work well enough. As a couple of people ( and they were satellite sellers ) said, "If they worked, don't you think we'd use them at shows?"

I accept that in the right conditions, they would provide some power, but , like any natural source, how often do you get the right conditions? I had intended to have a hybrid solar/wind setup (when we eventually do get our MH), but have been convinced, at the moment I hasten to add, that it would be wiser to invest in additional solar panels, rather than my original intention. And no, I'm not associated in any way with any wholesaler or retailer of any goods, let alone solar panels.

However, "you pays your money and makes your choice." Personally, any green power is preferable in my opinion, so congrats on airing the subject. I hope that others will air their views too, as it will aid me in my final decision.

Solar power and wind power are not green, they are only possibly greener.

Have you considered the impact on the world by having to dig up ores, transport them, refine them, transport them, make them into components, transport them, make them in wind turbines etc, transport them and then sell them. This involves a huge amount of pollutants some of which are hard to deal with (CO2 and arsenic for example). Electronic components are consuming scare and very valuable resources at an alarming rate. Imagine the impact on the world if everyone wanted to have their own "green" power. To see the real effect of any product a thorough full life analysis must be carried out.

With motorhomers that only use their van a few weeks of the year I doubt very much whether the use of solar panels is better for the planet than using a hook-up.

The same can be said of many of the products quoted as green. For example electric cars. By the time you have taken into account the efficiency of the electric power production, the transmission losses, the losses associated with the charging of the battery, the reclamation of power from the battery and the efficiency of the electric motor I doubt that they are as green as the more efficient moder diesel cars.

Where do do score heavily is in the fact that the pollution is nearly all made at the power station, where it is easier to control, and not in the city centre where pollution is a major problem. So in my book they are a huge improvement but not much greener.

Digger Driver

Free Member
Oct 4, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I can't find the link but i saw a design which was basically a car alternator with some wings on fitted to a scaffold pole!
It was very simple!
I have seen another with a car alternator fitted to a little honda petrol engine buy a fan belt that charged 12 volt too!
Good enough to charge your batteries!
You can get a good alternator in a scrap yard for a tenner!
Bit of Mechano and some engineering!
Could save you 100s!
When i get some spare time i fancied having a go!

Imagine something you could fit on your roof while you drive?

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back