Wind generator for 12v battery (1 Viewer)

motorhome42

Free Member
Feb 12, 2010
North Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail
Exp
Since 2009
Hi

I have no idea what the set up would be but what would I need to set up a wind generator in order to charge my 12v battery. I already have a solar panel to help charging.

Many thanks for any future replies.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I wouldn't bother unless you are just looking to have something to keep the batteries from going flat when the MH is parked up unused.

It's a simple matter of cross-sectional area and how much power you can extract from the wind. Would be pretty noisy too inside the MH.

In a Force 5 this will generate just 72W, and it will be going like the clappers while it does. OK if you only go to windy places. I'm certainly not anti-renewables, quite the opposite, but micro-turbines are really only useful in limited applications, of which yachts are one as they can travel faster through the air than the prevailing wind - and a bit of rattle and flap goes unnoticed on a yacht. Broken Link Removed

But don't let me talk you out of experimenting, give it a go and let us know how it goes!

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Dingray uses one. Most showgrounds are windy old airfields and I've seen it spinning away merrily all weekend, how much it generates though, I've no idea

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Just one FUNster owns one but I don't think I've ever seen him use it.
Dingray uses one. Most showgrounds are windy old airfields and I've seen it spinning away merrily all weekend, how much it generates though, I've no idea
Dingray praises his (Forgen 500). We've been camped next to him and suffered no noise problems. I would have one myself if they weren't so expensive.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: DBK

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I have a vertical axis wind generator and when in use find it a sterling bit of kit. It will not keep on top of battery charging on its own, but coupled with a solar array it works fine. It trickle charges when dark or if no sun 24/7. What I do find is during inclement weather when there is no sun there is often wind.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Dingray praises his (Forgen 500). We've been camped next to him and suffered no noise problems. I would have one myself if they weren't so expensive.
The Forgen 500 is 12W in a bit more than a Force 4, and the design is such it should be fairly quiet, compared to a fast spinning horizontal axis turbine. But even the manufacturer states they are only a trickle charger. Every watt helps of course but don't expect it to recharge flat batteries.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I looked at them a few years ago and decided Solar was the way to go. Unless you have a force 8 gale blowing you will get very little output. OK in theory, you will get output in the dark which solar can't do but in reality apart from extreme weather condition the wind normally drops at night. Very expensive for the obtainable output compared to solar.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The Forgen 500 is 12W in a bit more than a Force 4, and the design is such it should be fairly quiet, compared to a fast spinning horizontal axis turbine. But even the manufacturer states they are only a trickle charger. Every watt helps of course but don't expect it to recharge flat batteries.
No, it won't recharge flat batteries but neither will a solar panel. Ray's description of his experience is very similar to Dave's:
I have a vertical axis wind generator and when in use find it a sterling bit of kit. It will not keep on top of battery charging on its own, but coupled with a solar array it works fine. It trickle charges when dark or if no sun 24/7. What I do find is during inclement weather when there is no sun there is often wind.
It's interesting to read Dave's description because the early reactions to that model (which used to be sold by Maplins at a far lower cost than the Forgen or the VAWT they sell now) were nowhere near as positive. I'm left wondering whether bad reviews were left deliberately.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
No, it won't recharge flat batteries but neither will a solar panel. Ray's description of his experience is very similar to Dave's:

It's interesting to read Dave's description because the early reactions to that model (which used to be sold by Maplins at a far lower cost than the Forgen or the VAWT they sell now) were nowhere near as positive. I'm left wondering whether bad reviews were left deliberately.

The problem being was that people were buying the Maplin wind generator as an alternative to solar panels as at that time solar panels were almost twice the price they are now. Since then solar has dropped dramatically in price. There is no substitute for solar when the sun is shining, BUT, as a back up the vertical axis wind generator will help on a cloudy day as long as there is some wind. It must also be remembered that not everyone has room on the roof for another solar panel. The other problem with the vertical axis charger is that it requires a good solid fixing, not just loosely thrown on the roof. You will also require some form of getting onto the roof to connect and disconnect the turbine for travel. In my opinion, if used correctly the wind charger is a good bit of kit, but that's only my opinion as it did take some time to sort out the correct fixing.

Reactions: GJH

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The problem being was that people were buying the Maplin wind generator as an alternative to solar panels as at that time solar panels were almost twice the price they are now. Since then solar has dropped dramatically in price. There is no substitute for solar when the sun is shining, BUT, as a back up the vertical axis wind generator will help on a cloudy day as long as there is some wind. It must also be remembered that not everyone has room on the roof for another solar panel. The other problem with the vertical axis charger is that it requires a good solid fixing, not just loosely thrown on the roof. You will also require some form of getting onto the roof to connect and disconnect the turbine for travel. In my opinion, if used correctly the wind charger is a good bit of kit, but that's only my opinion as it did take some time to sort out the correct fixing.
Agreed Dave. VAWT would only ever be an adjunct to solar, not a replacement.

The roof access/fixing problem was the reason why I didn't buy one from Maplins at the time they were on sale as I would have had difficulty with the Autoquest we had at the time. Neither would be a problem with the Burstner we have now. Pity Maplins packed in selling them.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Don't wanna be argumentative, but my solar panels have charged my totally flat batteries many times :)
Yes, but the sun's brighter on Mars :LOL:

I suppose it depends how much oomph the panel arrangement has :)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
If it was a good option you'd see loads of them on aires - I don't recall ever seeing more than one.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I happen to have an unused/unfitted maplin model vertical axis wind genny sitting in my workshop. Any reasonable offers considered I think they originally cost £150.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I happen to have an unused/unfitted maplin model vertical axis wind genny sitting in my workshop. Any reasonable offers considered I think they originally cost £150.

May I ask why you never got round to fitting it Roger.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Don't wanna be argumentative, but my solar panels have charged my totally flat batteries many times :)
I thought he said not to rely on a wind turbine to charge a flat battery?

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
If you want something capable and quiet then you need one of these........

Broken Link Removed

However once you have seen the price you might change your mind :eek: let alone working out how to mount/demount each time you use it.

We had a (different make) wind generator on our yacht and it was fantastic in a good breeze, but noisy. The D400 is an excellent generator.......... but bangs per buck?? not for a motorhome I think:(

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If you want something capable and quiet then you need one of these........

Broken Link Removed

However once you have seen the price you might change your mind :eek: let alone working out how to mount/demount each time you use it.

We had a (different make) wind generator on our yacht and it was fantastic in a good breeze, but noisy. The D400 is an excellent generator.......... but bangs per buck?? not for a motorhome I think:(
Still needs a force 6 which is quite a strong wind to produce 200w, on an average day you would struggle to charge your batteries, think I'll stick with solar.:)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Between one and four amps, Jim. One to two amps in a fair wind, peaking at four in a storm force wind. (y) (at least my Rutland 913 did).

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Fleabay

Broken Link Removed

Or one like Rogers :

Broken Link Removed

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Guy in La Manga 2007 had a big one running, Separate pole and guyed, not only noisy in his R-V, but the guy next door complained too!!.

Pete

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Still needs a force 6 which is quite a strong wind to produce 200w, on an average day you would struggle to charge your batteries, think I'll stick with solar.:)

Unless you live in Scotland LOL ....... no use for solar either :rolleyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back