Will wild camping be allowed after the 14th of April? (1 Viewer)

Apr 20, 2016
Donny
Funster No
MH
Toyota convertion
Exp
Since 2018
Hi,
First post in a while, and like most of you, usually away in Europe somewhere. Travelling over there doesn’t seem to be as difficult as here somehow and I begrudge paying stupid prices just for a pitch
I just wanted peoples opinions on whether we are allowed to wildcamp in the U.K... or does it have to be a campsite?
I’m so ready to escape and want to do a little bit of both X :rolleyes:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
The camping and caravanning club have some THS (Temporary holiday sites) planned to be operating around that time. Basic pitch with water and toilet dump, often around £10 -£12 a night... A good compromise maybe between wild and campsites.
I'm keeping a watch on the weather and then off I go. (y) (y)
Of course you need to be a member of the club.

Temporary Holiday Site​

WhereVictoria Park,
Southport,

OrganiserBCC - Ribblesdale Section

When14 April 2021 to 06 May 2021

Opening hours12:00 - 12:00

Cost£12

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Skyblue
Apr 20, 2016
Donny
Funster No
MH
Toyota convertion
Exp
Since 2018
The camping and caravanning club have some THS (Temporary holiday sites) planned to be operating around that time. Basic pitch with water and toilet dump, often around £10 a night... A good compromise maybe between wild and campsites.
I'm keeping a watch on the weather and then off I go. (y) (y)

OP
OP
Skyblue
Apr 20, 2016
Donny
Funster No
MH
Toyota convertion
Exp
Since 2018
That sounds like a plan... I have friends up and down the country so planning on staying on their drives or close to when I’m allowed.

I’d like to get to Scotland again as we used to go there in the summer before we got the van.... we once turned up to the bed and breakfast too late and slept ( not really ) on the side of the road on the Isle of Skye. :X3:

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
As no one is supposed to be traveling unless essential travel I would think you are asking for trouble if camped up somewhere. And as England Scotland and wales are all different dates for travel allowed with overnight stays, again it will be pot luck if you get away with it.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
As no one is supposed to be traveling unless essential travel I would think you are asking for trouble if camped up somewhere. And as England Scotland and wales are all different dates for travel allowed with overnight stays, again it will be pot luck if you get away with it.
After the 14th of April?

OP
OP
Skyblue
Apr 20, 2016
Donny
Funster No
MH
Toyota convertion
Exp
Since 2018
:( I think that’s what I’m checking about.
I don’t want to break the rules - and won’t go until I’m sure we’re allowed.
I’ve been stopped by the police driving the van already.

Oct 12, 2014
Opposite the Needles
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
14 years
The second step from 12 April would see major parts of the economy permitted to reopen:
  • Non-essential retail opens, hairdressers and some public buildings like libraries
  • Outdoor settings like alcohol takeaways, beer gardens, zoos and theme parks
  • Indoor leisure like swimming pools and gyms
  • Self-contained holiday accommodation, such as self-catering lets and camp sites

Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
The second step from 12 April would see major parts of the economy permitted to reopen:
  • Non-essential retail opens, hairdressers and some public buildings like libraries
  • Outdoor settings like alcohol takeaways, beer gardens, zoos and theme parks
  • Indoor leisure like swimming pools and gyms
  • Self-contained holiday accommodation, such as self-catering lets and camp sites
The OP asked about wild camping.

Oct 12, 2014
Opposite the Needles
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
14 years
It doesn't, of course, mention wildcamping, but nothing ever does. I don't see the situation is any different to normal. Some say it's not legal/shouldn't be done ever, so take your pick as always. I'll be wildcamping if it suits me, but I am certainly not saying or suggesting to anyone that it's 'allowed'.

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520

Staying away from home overnight​

You cannot leave your home or the place where you are living for holidays or overnight stays unless you have a reasonable excuse for doing so. This means that holidays in the UK and abroad are not allowed.

Then from 12th April residents in England data permitting:

Domestic overnight stays and self-catering UK holidays will be allowed.

Pete

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Id imagine wild camping in a self contianed motorhome is more safe that going to a site. Esp if your a miserable bugger like me and can go away and not speak to anyone for yonks.

Ill be doing it anyway, midnght 12th April and Im off unless I see elsewhere its breaking the rules

Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years

You cannot leave your home or the place where you are living for holidays or overnight stays unless you have a reasonable excuse for doing so. This means that holidays in the UK and abroad are not allowed.

Pete
Well, it's all as vague as ever, and can be interpreted in different ways. Your link however describes changes from 8th March. My link seems to show that non-essential travel is allowed from 29th March. Take your pick.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off

Pete
The “ stay at-home “ order is lifted on 29th March

Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
Id imagine wild camping in a self contianed motorhome is more safe that going to a site. Esp if your a miserable bugger like me and can go away and not speak to anyone for yonks.

Ill be doing it anyway, midnght 12th April and Im off unless I see elsewhere its breaking the rules

I totally agree. I'm not a grumpy old git (still working on it) but we love nothing more than finding an isolated spot away from everyone and letting the madness of the world carry on without us. And as it seems to be getting madder by the day, the sooner we can go off-grid the better.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
You are correct, but URGING the majority of the populous has a track record of as succesful as blowing out a candle whilst wishing 😄

purely pointing out that leaving home will no longer be illegal

Also, cant find where it says you cant overnight away from home between 29/3 and 11/4
I know campsites,B&Bs, etc cant open, but what about your own holiday home?

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
You are correct, but URGING the majority of the populous has a track record of as succesful as blowing out a candle whilst wishing 😄

purely pointing out that leaving home will no longer be illegal

Also, cant find where it says you cant overnight away from home between 29/3 and 11/4
I know campsites,B&Bs, etc cant open, but what about your own holiday home?
I think someone here posted a link a couple weeks ago that meant "awy from home" but not stopping out. SO days out basically ???? confused, you should be.

Ill give boris a bell in the morning and ask him

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I think non-essential travel is allowed from March 29th. That would make it OK, wouldn't it?

See https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...ng-2021/covid-19-response-spring-2021-summary
Yes, you may travel for reasons that were previously not permitted. This does not include overnight stays.

Covered by the no overnight stays requirement.

Well, it's all as vague as ever, and can be interpreted in different ways. Your link however describes changes from 8th March. My link seems to show that non-essential travel is allowed from 29th March. Take your pick.

As above. You don’t seriously expect ‘wild camping’ to be mentioned explicitly; do you? 🤣

Ian

Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
Agreed, but the government will urge people to stay local as much as possible and you still cannot stayaway from home till 12th Apr.

Pete
But as pointed out, it doesn't cover staying in a motorhome. So you can argue either way.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
From the Gov's own site.

Changes on 29 March​

Social contact​

The evidence shows that it is safer for people to meet outdoors rather than indoors. And this is why from 29 March, when most schools start to break up for the Easter holidays, outdoor gatherings (including in private gardens) of either 6 people (the Rule of 6) or 2 households will also be allowed, making it easier for friends and families to meet outside.

Business and activities​

Outdoor sports facilities such as tennis and basketball courts, and open-air swimming pools, will also be allowed to reopen, and people will be able to take part in formally organised outdoor sports.

Travel​

The ‘stay at home’ rule will end on 29 March but many restrictions will remain in place. People should continue to work from home where they can and minimise the number of journeys they make where possible, avoiding travel at the busiest times and routes. Travel abroad will continue to be prohibited, other than for a small number of permitted reasons. Holidays abroad will not be allowed, given it will remain important to manage the risk of imported variants and protect the vaccination programme. The government has launched a new taskforce to review global travel which will report on 12 April.

From where I'm sitting, you are not restricted to stay at home. Alright, you might not be able to visit someone elses house but that isn't the question.

Sorry. I should make it clear. The above applies to England (Including Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly)

Last edited:

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
England and Wales probably touch and go, Scotland not till We Willie Sturgeon gets her head out of her backside 🥴
Nicola Sturgeon is the First Minister of Scotland and 'having her head up her backside' [which is as wrong as it is facetious], has resulted in an infection rate per million that is only 57.91% that of England; and a death rate per million that is 70.08% that of England.

Caution has served Scotland well.

Steve

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Nicola Sturgeon is the First Minister of Scotland and 'having her head up her backside' [which is as wrong as it is facetious], has resulted in an infection rate per million that is only 57.91% that of England; and a death rate per million that is 70.08% that of England.

Caution has served Scotland well.

Steve
shes been too busy Keeping Alex Occupied :roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back