Will the roll out awning go mouldy? (1 Viewer)

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
I take a lot of stick from my other half because I won't put the fiamma awning out if it's raining, to be fair this would be the most useful thing for it because it would mean we could wipe the dogs or take boots off in the dry, however my biggest concern is that we store the van and so I can't roll it out to dry off properly if like this week it rains everyday and it doesn't dry before we leave site, am I being too over cautious, will it go mouldy if not dried properly? I know it's a different material from awning/ tents but I still think it would suffer from mould.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We use ours when it's raining more often than we do if it's sunny.

It's been put away wet many many times.

No sign of mould so far (y)

Mr Milliemobile

Funster
Sep 9, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2014
I have rolled my waking away wet many times, and once unfortunately with leaves stuck on it. The next time, about 2 weeks, I wound it out it had leaf shaped brown stains on it. They eventually faded with rain and sunshine. Never had an issue with mould but I do worry about leaving it damp for too long.
Nige

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Apart from 2 occasions during this Summer leave period this year, I don't think I have ever put the awning away dry in the 20 months I have had it.:rolleyes:.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We only use ours when its raining, rarely as shade. We lived 13 years in Wales so sitting in full sun is a novelty :)

Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
40 years caravanning. New A-class Moho owners
Never ever ever hang cheap bunting from an awning. We were in France a few years ago during the world cup with St George's bunting hanging. It rained and we were left with red cross imprints on the awning. Never did completely fade. Mike
Not sure what happens with expensive bunting. :LOL:

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
We use ours when it's raining more often than we do if it's sunny.

It's been put away wet many many times.

No sign of mould so far (y)

Thanks for that, sounds like er indoors might be right, perhaps I won't tell her :D

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Always best to dry if off before putting away or if you put it away wet try and get it out within a couple of days to dry it off.
Our neighbour has just bought a 5 year old van, awning is covered in mould marks where previous owner has put it away wet.

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Always best to dry if off before putting away or if you put it away wet try and get it out within a couple of days to dry it off.
Our neighbour has just bought a 5 year old van, awning is covered in mould marks where previous owner has put it away wet.

That's thrown a spanner in the works, I worry particularly at this time of year because if it went away wet this week then it could be a long spell before we're out in it again.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Our wind out awning was looking pretty tired, stained and dirty. It came up amazingly like new after being pressure washed top and bottom. Just a tip.

Dick

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
I've used a scrubbing brush with hot water and bio detergent to wash our stained and mouldy awning before now.
I've since learned that detergent removes waterproofing properties (obvious when you think about it).
A treatment with Fenwick's awning re-proofer seems to have prevented any problems...
The awning washes up well (I now just use warm water) but it's never going to look new and by the end of summer it's filthy anyway.
The way I see it, every motorhome feature is there to be used (and looked after)
It's going to get dirty, it's going to age and eventually it's going to break, just as well crack on and use it!

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Always try to put the awning away dry but in the UK? The only consequence we've had is dirty marks, but they wash off quite easily, either using proprietory awning cleaner or just plain warm water.

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Always try to put the awning away dry but in the UK? The only consequence we've had is dirty marks, but they wash off quite easily, either using proprietory awning cleaner or just plain warm water.

Thanks Terry, it's worth knowing that it won't get ruined if it does get stored wet

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
You can clean the awning with the same stuff you use for car soft tops.

Then waterproof it afterwards.

Have you thought about wiping down the awning with a window squeegee on an extension pole?
Just lower the front awning legs for easier access.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We clean ours now and again. Scrub it with detergent and while its still covered in suds we roll it up and leave it for a good old soak. Then wash again and rinse then put back when dry yy

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
Would water not get into a rolled up awning if driving in the rain? It seems to find its way into any other weak point in the body?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
fiamma and omnistor canopies are made with reinforced plastic so dont require re=proofing like canvas ones. just wash and hose off

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
"Starbrite RV awning cleaner " about £14-15 . Wonderful stuff

"When all else fails! READ the instructions!"

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
I also wondered about it going away wet but it doesn't seem to cause any problems with ours. It's a different material to tents.

D

DL42846

Deleted User
We use ours in both the wet and the dry. If I have folded it away when wet I do try to unwind it at the first dry opportunity to dry it out before leaving it fold for a long time. No mould so far and no problems.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I take a lot of stick from my other half because I won't put the fiamma awning out if it's raining, to be fair this would be the most useful thing for it because it would mean we could wipe the dogs or take boots off in the dry, however my biggest concern is that we store the van and so I can't roll it out to dry off properly if like this week it rains everyday and it doesn't dry before we leave site, am I being too over cautious, will it go mouldy if not dried properly? I know it's a different material from awning/ tents but I still think it would suffer from mould.
No :).
It won't.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
No :).
It won't.

Ours did on our last van. It got wet and we forgot about / didn't use it fir a few months and it was mouldy.

We did get rid of it but it stained the awning a bit

OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Ours did on our last van. It got wet and we forgot about / didn't use it fir a few months and it was mouldy.

We did get rid of it but it stained the awning a bit

At this rate I'm none the wiser :D, perhaps I'll take it off and stick it on eBay

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
At this rate I'm none the wiser :D, perhaps I'll take it off and stick it on eBay
I think the consensus is that:
It can get wet when travelling or washing the van or using it
Under certain circumstances it will go 'mouldy'
It's easy to clean with any reasonable detergent
It isn't proofed so it doesn't need re-proofing
Why worry :D.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries