Will the EHIC still be valid if the vote is out (1 Viewer)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Not true there are any number of reasons why information can be with held and not released, not even under the 30 year rule!
Information can only be withheld under FoIA for specified reasons, none of which are remotely likely to apply in this case.
You didn't describe, it you just made an unsupported statement!
Which referred to what I said at #106 and you agreed with at #107.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
And thereby hangs the problem. We elected the BRITISH parliament(s) NONE of which gave us the option to "opt out". So we have until now NEVER had a chance to say we do (or dont) wish to be "European". ONLY now are we getting a chance to say what WE prefer, and not having "those who believe they know what's best for us". making the decisions.

Pete
And yet Cameron is still berated for providing that chance :rolleyes: All I keep saying is, having been given the chance we need to use it wisely, try to establish the facts and make up our minds on those facts.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
You are at odds with Bernard Jenkin there then. As I mentioned at #106 "Bernard Jenkin (Brexit campaigner) accepted that when the question was discussed by the committee he chairs - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-35700813."

Yes I am at odds with him!
My point was that he has been hoodwinked!
I must admit that getting the names mixed up didn't help!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Yes I am at odds with him!
My point was that he has been hoodwinked!
I must admit that getting the names mixed up didn't help!
He wasn't hoodwinked by Sir Jeremy at all (enough years in local government information systems, including DP and FoIA, to know what I'm talking about).

He may well have been hoodwinked into supporting Brexit though - but we won't know until they publish a factual basis for their stance will we? :)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
The alternative is (what we called in the logical IT discipline) "why change for change sake if we don't know it's going to be any better?"

Because It cannot be any worse?. It`s broke now. So lets just junk it and change. Besides a new Processor is going to be faster, (so long as its not running windows 10!)

Pete

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
The issue that I have ( and your reference to the accounts serves as a reminder) is that we are an Anglo-Saxon nation in a quasi Napolenic organisation. Combine that with the fact that our system of governance is fundamentally honest (yes it is!) and that continental politics is inherently corrupt, then we will always have political issues with Europe. If anything, that makes me lean toward leaving.....

Something I have been trying to tell people in the UK for Years, about the Napoleonic System of governance. Is that NOTHING is legal UNLESS it has been approved by Government. (and of course you are guilty until you are proved innocent). The UK system works the opposite in that "IT" (anything) is permissible unless parliament has actually made statute otherwise. And the law is that you are innocent until proven guilty.

And it is the fact that (as far as I a aware) An EU Budget has never been properly scrutinised. Or to use business parallel "Signed off".

As for the OP. (EHIC) I doubt if it will disappear. but if it does the General cost of travel insurance is only an issue for a very few. Unfortunately my wife IS one of those!.

Last edited:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Something I have been trying to tell people in the UK for Years, about the Napoleonic System of governance. Is that NOTHING is legal UNLESS it has been approved by Government. (and of course you are guilty until you are proved innocent). The UK system works the opposite in that "IT" (anything) is permissible unless parliament has actually made statute otherwise. And the law is that you are innocent until proven guilty.

And it is the fact that (as far as I a aware) An EU Budget has never been properly scrutinised. Or to use business parallel "Signed off".

As for the OP. (EHIC) I doubt if it will disappear. but if it does the General cost of travel insurance is only an issue for a very few. Unfortunately my wife IS one of those!.
Yep, but very few people listen. The EU is wholly corrupt and make our expenses claiming MP's look like innocent kids.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
My take on EHIC is that it will remain. As I understand it you have the right to the same treatment at the same cost as a local in the country in where you are. Whenever abroad and needed medical assistance we have paid and retained the bills but never bothered to claim it back from the NHS which is how the system is supposed to work.

The trouble is our system is free and so there is no system to take money off visitors (Non EU) who should pay. That is one reason why I would like an identity card, as without one, at a stroke you can identify all foreigners, EU or otherwise whenever they want anything like Social Security, NHS service, Benefits, Dole money etc.

Son's wife is an oncology nurse and has to give chemotherapy at home. She has a number of patients from other parts of the world, Not EU and not British ex-pats who have come here for treatment, who have come here specifically because they can't afford the drugs at home e.g. £3k per week! and they are paying nothing towards it! Don't you remember the African woman who came here to have her quads at our expense and then went home again and never paid a penny towards the cost! Until the government does something to stop this we can expect the NHS to decline as the resources are being spread too thin.

I had to organise the private health insurance for my partners in my firm so that we could get treated promptly and then get back to work quicker. Most operations like hip replacement, repair prolapsed disc in your back etc cost about £10k to £12k including surgeon, Anesthetist, theatre staff and use and nursing, bed etc in a private regional hospital, not in London which is dearer. Many are dearer for complex stuff like heart surgery etc. It doesn't take a lot of these to run up waiting lists, use up hospital budgets etc. When is it going to stop!

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Who knows? One of the many risks we take if we vote for out. We have no idea what changes the EU might make when we have no influence at all. Better the devil you know than risking the unknown.

The EU may not be the 'devil we know' if we burn our bridges by voting in. The little bit of influence we have in the EU seems to be dependent on us having the power to leave if we don't like it. That advantage will be lost with an in vote, and they can just ride roughshod over us. Just an opinion of course.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
As veteran pensioners we have opted to vote the way our children decide.
We believe that they, as parents themselves should make the decision as they see fit, as it will be them and their kids that will be affected by any changes.

A valid point as it will be our children and grandchildren who will live with it. My children are solidly for voting out, my grandson hasn't started talking yet so still awaiting his opinion. I am still undecided.

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
Managed by civil servants is what I am hearing of Europe. Not my idea of a system that works I'm afraid. They could exhibit the qualities of the DVLA to manage everything, what a nightmare that would be. Imagine the waiting list for your treatment or renewing your entitlement to it.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
MWhenever abroad and needed medical assistance we have paid and retained the bills but never bothered to claim it back from the NHS which is how the system is supposed to work.
!

Can't do that anymore as it has been done away with.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
The EU bureaucracy. Makes "Yes Minister" look amateurish, and at that it was IMV an accurate "take" on the cynicism of UK Governance. NEVER, in my experience take anything a Civil Servant, local bureaucrat, or EU sycophant, might say at face value!. They always have their own private agenda.

Pete

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
Just about everything you hear read and see about the UK at the moment relates to the over stretched services!
Just seen a news item talking about class sizes getting bigger so they are cutting back on subjects!
Immigration is responsible for most of this and the EU legislation is responsible for unchecked immigration!
That in itself is a reason to vote out!

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Everything you hear read and see about the UK at the moment relates to the over stretched services!....... as is EVERY other country in the world.
The world population is far bigger than it was 50 or 70 years ago and the "services" in ALL countries cannot cope. The same with pensions the average 20 year old now WILL never get a state pension why? because when they started the average age of death was 60, but now the average age of death is 85 and the government did not plan for that. The list goes no, but in the end the UK cannot afford to leave the EU and the government know full well that to leave would be suicide and no matter what the public want in the end we will stay in the EU.
I'm not trying to rub anyone up the wrong why just being realistic.

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Tis a big bad world out there! Like the fish wanting to separate Scotland I believe better together! I am a Scot by the way.
You want to remain as it will beneficial to you as you will still get the annual increase in your pension which could be in jeapordy if the UK leaves

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Anti EU feeling is spreading across the EU , the germans have just voted in a right wing party in 2 out of 3 regional elections ,the immigrant thing is polarising political views points not just in the UK, the EU is starting to come apart at the seams .

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I like the idea of German dissatisfaction, the more that protest, the more that Vote right wing. The more likely In My Opinion, the UK`s voters will wake up and Vote OUT. Suits me!.

The Alternative in a few years could be a major Right Wing vote in the UK. OR even a civil war!, along Cultural Lines. Remember Enoch`s "prophecy"?. All the bricks are in place, we stop it NOW (relatively peacefully) or have to fight for it later. Your choice!

Pete

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Anti EU feeling is spreading across the EU , the germans have just voted in a right wing party in 2 out of 3 regional elections ,the immigrant thing is polarising political views points not just in the UK, the EU is starting to come apart at the seams .
Two things struck me when I saw the story on the news last night.
It seems to be anti Merkel's immigration policy rather than the EU as a whole.
It seems more akin to UKIP gaining local council seats than anything nationally important (we all know how UKIP failed when it came to the real test).

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I am not so confident. Also still undecided as to which way to vote . ..I was led to believe I was voting originally for a common market not a common government and law courts with their own ideas of sovereignty..so am finding it difficult to make a reasoned decision based on what was to what could be.

SIMPLE! get rid of our feeble Government and take your orders from Brussels oh sorry! I meant the Germans:)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
It seems more akin to UKIP gaining local council seats than anything nationally important (we all know how UKIP failed when it came to the real test).

I suspect that the main reason that UKIP did not do as well as expected in the general election had far more to do with an "Anti Labour" vote that anything else? the electorate was afraid that UKIP would split the vote and let labour back in. Of course what they got instead is what we have. No at all impressive? an equal bunch of wimps who think "Europe" is the answer to everything!. (which maybe it is, IF you are wealthy and can P**s of to some Tropical hideaway when it all goes pear-shaped)!.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I suspect that the main reason that UKIP did not do as well as expected in the general election had far more to do with an "Anti Labour" vote that anything else? the electorate was afraid that UKIP would split the vote and let labour back in. Of course what they got instead is what we have. No at all impressive? an equal bunch of wimps who think "Europe" is the answer to everything!. (which maybe it is, IF you are wealthy and can P**s of to some Tropical hideaway when it all goes pear-shaped)!.
I'm sure UKIP would like to console/kid themselves by pretending that was the case.
The British people, though, aren't so easy to fool. They may protest when it doesn't matter so much by electing a few local councillors (who they know probably won't have a position of power anyway) but not when it is actually important. They showed that with Mosley in the 1930s so it's no surprise when Farage is given the same treatment.

nobby &noo

Free Member
Jun 12, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
burstner t star 695
Exp
since 2010
If we stay in when all these migrants have got there european passports they can all just come here thats what worries me.I have 3 daughters and i am worried for their safety as rape rises all over europe as these animals arrive

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
In the press today reports that Merkel, has vowed there will never be a place in Europe for Turkey.

With a comment like that, anyone would be forgiven for thinking she and Germany ran the EU :doh:

Deleted User
In the press today reports that Merkel, has vowed there will never be a place in Europe for Turkey.

With a comment like that, anyone would be forgiven for thinking she and Germany ran the EU :doh:

Not necessarily as each current member state must agree, ie a veto, including us to the accession of another state.

" According to the Maastricht Treaty, each current member state and the European Parliament must agree to any enlargement."

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
When considering changes to the EU it is important to realise that the first rule of Ministers is to preserve their own jobs and in the case of the Civil Servants keep their snouts in the trough. This is I think the main stumbling block for real change and reform.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back