Will Spain be safe next year ? (1 Viewer)

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
I am not sure Alicante will be safe next year!

Local paper has an article publicising an auction of 904 guns, including pistols, shotguns, rifles and blunderbusses used in fiestas, by the Guardia Civil there.

Opening bids vary from five euros up to 6,000 euros for the most expensive.:Eeek:

As a security precaution buyers must have a firearms licence, that's a relief then.

OP
OP
B

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
GO ON YOU LOT !!!! KEEP IT UP !!!!!!!!!!!

Just as I'm about to go out there to buy an apartment.....:Doh:

WOW Why on earth would you buy there now ???
Wait till you can buy it for pssatas in a few months for half the price !

barry

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
spain as always been bad .i remember scooters driving past women and dragging them down the road by their handbags . way back in the 60,s .
its always been unsafe . barcelona ,valencia . ,la linea years ago was a nightmare. the only place that was safe was asturia and cantarbria . yet they got knocked as being basque areas and folk were told it was a no go area.
but lets hope property drops back to sensible prices .they have been going up ridiculous for years . think its not a good time yet to be buying in spain .give it a few more years .
i think spain was a much better place or us when the franco regime was in power .they were definately better for the tourist. cant say if it was better or worse for locals . but the few i know have said every one knew there place .now its a free for all.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Oh, we do think that we are soooo clever in the UK!!! It would seem to me that we would be talking about the UK as we do Spain, IF we hadn't "Lent" ourselves 325 Billion £`s according to the Guardian figures " the Bank said in a statement explaining why it had decided to expand QE to £325bn "

Now can we even begin to think of just what the UK would be like if we didn't "lend" money (Print) to ourselves. It would seem to me ( a chap travelling the highways and byways of life) that if Spain COULD lend themselves that sort of money....well this thread would not exist.

I spend lots of time at my house in Spain and I can tell you the the Spanish people are bloody wonderful and like the English people. Perhaps some of the people are giving a comment when all they have done is "Travel through" Spain or spent a winter (with and A Frame).

But spain cannot create its own money..because Germany will not let it .......
To devalue the Spanish euro............would mean to devalue the German euro....and all euros. We of course can do it ....we have the freedom to....for good or for bad.
Why should the Germans pay for greeks to retire at 60 ? Why should the Germans pay the price for a non industrial southern europe who still pack up work for a siesta half way through the working day.

The EC ....Just the mad dream of political nutters who still seem to be hell bent on creating a one size fits all economy for all european countries. Why I have no idea.

Its not going to work !

barry

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Much better when Franco was in power. He kept em in there place. No delusions of grandeur then. Wealthy Spaniard had a donkey, if he didn't toe the line, take the donkey off him and make him walk.
Seriously 20 years ago they had nothing, now they want everything at once. Thats were the problem lies............too much too quick. Now the credit has dried up they cant sustain the debt. SIMPLE.

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
spain as always been bad .i remember scooters driving past women and dragging them down the road by their handbags .

That would NEVER happen in the UK ....would it? Nah why buy a scooter, just shoot the buggers

way back in the 60,s .
its always been unsafe . barcelona ,valencia . ,la linea years ago was a nightmare. the only place that was safe was asturia and cantarbria . yet they got knocked as being basque areas and folk were told it was a no go area.

Of course WE dont have ANY no go areas do we!!

but lets hope property drops back to sensible prices .they have been going up ridiculous for years .

Why would you want property prices to go down if above is true? Sounds strange!!!

think its not a good time yet to be buying in spain .give it a few more years .
i think spain was a much better place or us when the franco regime was in power .

Spose it was in Franco`s time after all most dictators are rather nice chaps really!!

Just my thoughts!

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
To devalue the Spanish euro............would mean to devalue the German euro....and all euros. We of course can do it ....we have the freedom to....for good or for bad.
Why should the Germans pay for greeks to retire at 60 ? Why should the Germans pay the price for a non industrial southern europe who still pack up work for a siesta half way through the working day.

The EC ....Just the mad dream of political nutters who still seem to be hell bent on creating a one size fits all economy for all european countries. Why I have no idea.

Its not going to work !

barry

I didnt say it was a GOOD idea, I just said that the UK CAN (not in Euro) and Spain cannot.

In the past they MIGHT have "Lent" themselves some money (Print it) just like "Clever UK " did. We are living on "borrowed" money, we just didnt go to Europe for it. Like Spain really , simples!!

We are just NOT in the poo cos we borrowed errrr! 325 BILLION of course that enough to make us better than Spain....isnt it!!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
they can drive themselves to extinction for all i care.....like Greece, its their own doing.

we decided quite a while ago, for us, Spain no longer exists as a holiday destination.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i hope all the uk folk that thought it was a good idea to live in this fantastic place called spain where they could at one time feel important .get there come upances . half the problem in spain is the expats . most are complaining folk that didnt fit in here and dont fit in there either. they were a nuisance here and carried on over there as well. they paid too much for there places and will soon be wanting bailing out .just wait and see.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Not me.......As I said in the post, "NEVER HAD A PULL"
But the guy who sells the bread on one of the beaches in Morocco told me that the man that sells the beads was told by a Germany who was talking to a Dutchman in a bar in France spoke to the uncle of the friend of a man that was pulled with an Aframe. Who am I to disbelieve the man that sells bread.
Likewise....who am I to disbelieve a yarn like that.:winky:

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
i hope all the uk folk that thought it was a good idea to live in this fantastic place called spain where they could at one time feel important .get there come upances . half the problem in spain is the expats . most are complaining folk that didnt fit in here and dont fit in there either. they were a nuisance here and carried on over there as well. they paid too much for there places and will soon be wanting bailing out .just wait and see.
Now I agree with you...except you left out that lots of the people that came to Spain, could not afford to live here.

I know maybe 10 people that came to Spain BEFORE the age of 65 (or early retired) hoping the work and be able to live here, couldnt find work, some even had a mortgage (I know one that has a 750 Euro a month payment) and of course it is ALL Spain's fault that they have to "Go home to UK with tail between legs!!! Yer right!!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
think many were retired as well .then when the pound fell over the years ,they felt the pinch.
i remeber getting 365 pesata to the pound years ago .when the euro came out it was about 250pesata .plus we got 1. 65eu to the quid . never mind it will all come out in the wash. i reckon the pound as lost 60%of its value over the years . against spain anyway.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
barry

Because they lost TWICE and it would be a shame if they pulled it off this time.

Seriously, much of Europe's problems stems from WW1 WW2. It wiped us out, helped by the Yanks.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
How on earth can anyone trust a country that almost every mayor from almost every town and city along the Costas has been sent to prison for fraud or over the last decade or more.:Doh: The whole country is bent.:Eeek:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
what has happened has affected every country in the west, some more than others, If we had joined the euro i believe that we would of been in a similar position, as for Spain i think it was germans and british that have changed their housing market and actually made the locals suffer with over inflated prices wanted on resale from what was paid for them as both countries peoples wanted the same inflated prices that were being charged back home up untill the bubble bust, yes a lot went out there with nothing believing they would get jobs in the sun like building, pool cleaning, villa 'watching' for folk who were not there, maintenance contracts for all those complexes and golf courses that were built, and yes spains economy was built on tourism started with hotels back in the late 60s/early 70s and moved on to villas /appartments from there fueled by 'us', apart from the fincas and the farm workers most jobs are seasonal due to tourism and then the locals work 7 days a week for the full season from march/april through to october time and most of the time the wages are low and they survive on their tips for weekly living expenses while the wages pay the monthly bills.Even that is being erroded with the influx of east europeans and chinese who will work for even less to get themselves settled in spain
As an aside Aframing has always been illegal in spain its not a recent thing, locals have never been able to do not even to recover their own vehicles when broken down

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
what has happened has affected every country in the west, some more than others, If we had joined the euro i believe that we would of been in a similar position, as for Spain i think it was germans and british that have changed their housing market and actually made the locals suffer with over inflated prices wanted on resale from what was paid for them as both countries peoples wanted the same inflated prices that were being charged back home up untill the bubble bust, yes a lot went out there with nothing believing they would get jobs in the sun like building, pool cleaning, villa 'watching' for folk who were not there, maintenance contracts for all those complexes and golf courses that were built, and yes spains economy was built on tourism started with hotels back in the late 60s/early 70s and moved on to villas /appartments from there fueled by 'us', apart from the fincas and the farm workers most jobs are seasonal due to tourism and then the locals work 7 days a week for the full season from march/april through to october time and most of the time the wages are low and they survive on their tips for weekly living expenses while the wages pay the monthly bills.Even that is being erroded with the influx of east europeans and chinese who will work for even less to get themselves settled in spain
As an aside Aframing has always been illegal in spain its not a recent thing, locals have never been able to do not even to recover their own vehicles when broken down

I could not agree more!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
mind spain as had a very good car industry .also very much into making tools and engineering. this as been effected by the move of engineering to china and now north africa.
vw, ford ,nissan.diamler .renault .just to name a few.
like many countries in the eu it never thought it was going to happen but the parent companies secretly moved it all away .just like here.
now the plastic green house farming is going as well. africa is rising . a few more years and it will hit really hard.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I am so glad that I have highly honed ostrich skills and am able to stick my head in the sand for ages and not worry about all this nonsense...

Also I am not addicted to the telly and newspapers...

They have to "report" the "news"...

We all know they tend to err on the side of bad, depressing news rather than uplifting happy news...

Some people read it or see it on the box and it is gospel...

I know nothing about financial matters... I suspect all these interest rates and bond issues and QE are devices to keep the rich rich or richer... I am so lucky I need so little to enjoy life...

But some moaning and worrying and obsessive posts on this Fun site really sadden me...

The Euro will crash... the Uk will be filled with foreigners who smell wrong... people come here to Blighty to steal your tax money... doom...gloom... fire... riots

Will it be safe in Spain next year? Was it safe in Tottenham last summer?

What are you people like... look at all the wonderful, wonderful stuff you have ALL got going for you... for a start you all have access to a computer and the internet... I suspect there are millions and millions of people dreaming they had the same...

A lot of you have super motorhomes that can take you to new horizons and new experiences... ok some have RV's but even those lumbering monsters must bring their owners some happiness...

I strongly suspect a lot of the perpetrators of the doom and gloom on here have tidy loads of wonga stashed away...

Come on Funsters... Smell the roses...

Don't forget all the good things you all have and...

Don't forget City are Champions... :thumb::thumb:

JJ :Cool:

PS... Portugal may well be broke and go and to the wall but the sun will still shine and the grapes will still grow... City will still have taken 6 points off the Reds...

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004

Its not going to work !

barry

Gravy Train

ChrisF

Free Member
Jun 2, 2012
Southwest Crete
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 months
Keeping things in perspective

I was in Athens last summer during the rioting. I could hear the crowds and knew where they were so simply avoided the places affected.

A couple of young Greek policemen engaged me in conversation (in English) asking my views on the economic and political situation. We talked at some length and the conversation was balanced and interesting. They received a report over their personal radios advising them to return to their station at the end of their shift using a route which avoided the areas affected by the riots.

Life goes on...

I slept in my car outside the gates at Piraeus docks having arrived at 02:00 following my journey from Patras. I locked the doors and took sensible precautions consistant with the situation.

Those ex pats who own property in Greece, Spain, Portugal etc must be feeling nervous and perhaps should be making contingency plans. I know a couple who have invested in a beautiful house in Crete and I'm thankful it's not me as I would be concerned but not paranoid. They bought when prices were high so they will probably have to sit it out unless the brown stuff impacts upon the rotating blades of the ventilation device in which case they will have to review the situation.

My present house was previously lived in by a couple who fled Zimbabwe after many years of residence. They came away with only the clothes they stood up in having sold everything to bribe officials and pay their passage. Their family bought the house and they simply started over.

Yes, the present economic situation is not good and a European collapse could have worldwide implications. We could see a post 1929 scenario. Economic instability has been known to foster the rise of political extremes - take a look around and look at history.

So what are the options?

Bury your head in the sand a hope it all goes away?
Keep yourself informed and take steps to safeguard yourself?
Pretend it's not happening and believe it's just media hype?
Take decisions based on detailed research and use good judgement?

Your call!

I'm not sure I'd be rushing to buy property in Greece or Spain right now unless I had money to spare and didn't mind a gamble.

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
I was in Athens last summer during the rioting. I could hear the crowds and knew where they were so simply avoided the places affected.

A couple of young Greek policemen engaged me in conversation (in English) asking my views on the economic and political situation. We talked at some length and the conversation was balanced and interesting. They received a report over their personal radios advising them to return to their station at the end of their shift using a route which avoided the areas affected by the riots.

Life goes on...

I slept in my car outside the gates at Piraeus docks having arrived at 02:00 following my journey from Patras. I locked the doors and took sensible precautions consistant with the situation.

Those ex pats who own property in Greece, Spain, Portugal etc must be feeling nervous and perhaps should be making contingency plans. I know a couple who have invested in a beautiful house in Crete and I'm thankful it's not me as I would be concerned but not paranoid. They bought when prices were high so they will probably have to sit it out unless the brown stuff impacts upon the rotating blades of the ventilation device in which case they will have to review the situation.

My present house was previously lived in by a couple who fled Zimbabwe after many years of residence. They came away with only the clothes they stood up in having sold everything to bribe officials and pay their passage. Their family bought the house and they simply started over.

Yes, the present economic situation is not good and a European collapse could have worldwide implications. We could see a post 1929 scenario. Economic instability has been known to foster the rise of political extremes - take a look around and look at history.

So what are the options?

Bury your head in the sand a hope it all goes away?
Keep yourself informed and take steps to safeguard yourself?
Pretend it's not happening and believe it's just media hype?
Take decisions based on detailed research and use good judgement?

Your call!

I'm not sure I'd be rushing to buy property in Greece or Spain right now unless I had money to spare and didn't mind a gamble.

I think that most people are fooled into thinking that if the sh** hits the fan in Spain - or Greece for that matter- that it WONT affect the UK, we will keep a stiff upper lip and we will just sit back and watch the Spanish and Greeks turn on all the expats and knock the living daylights out of them, the UK government will have to send ships to rescue the poor expats, we will take great delight in telling the expats they should NEVER have bought in a "Foreign" country and then rub our hands keep calm and carry on.

Our banks would not be affected and life would carry on........NAH!!!

You know, one of the things us Brits are very good at is kicking....when somebody is down.

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Well i hope it does not affect France because i like hols and driving there :thumb:
I bet expats wish they had not bought a villa in Spain ect, but bought a nice RV ,lived in that, then when if all goes pear shaped --start up ,drive away , and leave em to it !
probably like some guys on here :Cool:

ChrisF

Free Member
Jun 2, 2012
Southwest Crete
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 months
France, like the other members of the European Community, including UK, is not immune from any fallout from a Euro or EU collapse.

We may need to resign ourselves to doing things differently for a while.

My intention is still to go to Greece but not buy anything immovable at this time. Live in a motorhome to see how things pan out and take it from there. I'd rather be broke in the sun than broke in in the rain in UK. If it all starts to turn nasty, up stakes and head out!

Wizbangs

Free Member
Nov 8, 2011
MK, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Burford Duo
Exp
Four years
Spanish banks

We do not bank with Santander, though we have many business clients who do. Some are already moving their accounts elsewhere. Wise move do you think?

ChrisF

Free Member
Jun 2, 2012
Southwest Crete
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 months
We do not bank with Santander, though we have many business clients who do. Some are already moving their accounts elsewhere. Wise move do you think?

I feel it's always a good idea to make contingency plans for almost every situation.

Some may think that it's defeatist or alarmist, but I believe that it just makes good sense to be one step ahead of the game.

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995

Better dig a hole in your garden, cos if the poo hits the fan in Europe, well to be blunt, you aint gunner fine a bank left standing, in Europe or the UK. But at least the man with the villa will be broke in the sun and not the rain:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back