Will Spain and Portugal be full of FFFrench this Winter ??? (1 Viewer)

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
IIII really have been sucked in by the rumour about French vans not going to Morocco, I heard it was tterrorist related> just goes to show , don't listen to rumours.
Sorry about the FFFrench, I also say Ethethethspania just being daft...
BUT I HAVE been told that we could not park somewhere in Spain due to some French vans having emptied their loos beside a road, I SURE Brits et al have been just as guilty., and it was 2 years ago.
It does sound like Spain is filling up early though.
We were going to overwinter for the first time, hence my question.
I guess motorhoming is just getting more popular every year.
I'll ask again nearer to christmas.
Mitch.

Cheers for the info. .

Keep us up to date on the gassing incidents and the legality of A frames whilst your out there. .just in case you hear anything (y)(y):cheers::beerchug:

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Well have resisted posting this but as a base while we were at the Aragon Moto GP we stayed for over a week at a campsite (ACSI) about 20 Kms from the track.
The site was fine but we soon noticed there were only five loo' s and showers in total each,male and female where the same.
I said to Andrea that with the proximity to the track that will be under pressure by the weekend.Well they were and kept very clean by the staff.
I wasn't wrong but it was the clients that were like pigs,whilst in the shower,with flip flops on!! I could hear in the adjoining showers every morning men emptying the contents of their nostrils whilst showering,not once but several at the same time ,every morning different times.
Others coughing and then spitting in the sinks while shaving or washing.
I honestly felt physically sick and took to getting up before 6 am to avoid this horrible scenario every morning.
I cannot of course determine the nationalities of the perpetrators but have to tell you I was completely disgusted by this very unpleasant behaviour.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Well have resisted posting this but as a base while we were at the Aragon Moto GP we stayed for over a week at a campsite (ACSI) about 20 Kms from the track.
The site was fine but we soon noticed there were only five loo' s and showers in total each,male and female where the same.
I said to Andrea that with the proximity to the track that will be under pressure by the weekend.Well they were and kept very clean by the staff.
I wasn't wrong but it was the clients that were like pigs,whilst in the shower,with flip flops on!! I could hear in the adjoining showers every morning men emptying the contents of their nostrils whilst showering,not once but several at the same time ,every morning different times.
Others coughing and then spitting in the sinks while shaving or washing.
I honestly felt physically sick and took to getting up before 6 am to avoid this horrible scenario every morning.
I cannot of course determine the nationalities of the perpetrators but have to tell you I was completely disgusted by this very unpleasant behaviour.
take it you are at alcaniz . nice round there.
we used to stop in motorland aragon grounds years ago. watched it grow . have a great time .
you can walk or ride bikes round the lake . lovely place .

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Yes that's right we were there for the GP but back in France now,as said the camping was not there as someone posted they didn't sleep the whole weekend which I used to enjoy but not so much now!!
It is lovely as you say Alcaniz interesting place and of course the "lunar landscape" around there.
Already planning a return trip!!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
spain is that big i think we will never get to see all of it . we try different routes as much as we can, but some places you have to return to if only to see the changes .
many just visit the med coast and never realise there is so much to see . but not from a m,way.
some real nice hide aways by the embalsas just north of alcaniz. most know about the barragems in portugal but never visit the similar ones in spain .
there,s alot of space in spain .

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Is it high in the hills and colder Alan ? We are looking for places to meander..
yes in winter it can be . this time of year is ok. and spring is fantastic .
in summer its very warm up there .
if you want warmer in winter then off you go to morocco, but you need a few miles driving to get warm. its not just a boat ride.

OP
OP
MitchandJenny
Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
WAS thinking about Marocco, BUT that was because I thought the normaly very large French contingent, would be somewhat reduced and there would be more room. But it appears I was listening to the wrong people. (Some Germans in Croatia).
I HAVE watched the previous years threads re the folk that did it, but think we will just "poodle" around Spain and Portugal for a few months.. As you say, its a big landmass. and warm enough by most accounts.
Mitch.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
even in morocco there are quiet places . most head for set tourist places . take main roads or even the m,way.
its like every where inbetween the tourist places on smaller roads there is great places .
having spent many trips to morocco. i can say the m,homes are getting alot . 3 years ago the tourist board in morocco said between november and may about 44,000 m,homes went into morocco. possibly correct .
and spain etc still seemed fairly full in most of the tourist areas and places tourists usually didnt stop.
just had a chat with a friend in cumbria she can see white on the hills ,and my mate bob tx to say ben nevis is snowcapped this morning . time to go.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Frankie

For a cultural experience, pop along to a British owned campsite in France, especially one which is recommended by ' The Caravan Club' perhaps not when they have a ' Rally ' in attendance...The Cultural Shock would be too much...:rolleyes:
Please explain ... I don't get which way to go: Do you mean British owned campsites in France are superb or right the opposite? From what I've read on here I would tend to think the second option, but ... see sometimes I can go very blonde and thick (sorry blondes.... my best friend is blonde and far from being simple minded .... hang on... whoops it's not her original colour... No other example in my shop , but sorry anyway LOL!)

Reactions: JJ
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
My general (limited) experience is that the French have been amongst the most sociable on continental sites, and the few Brits I have seen have either been driving around in their saltire clad vans scowling at everyone in sight about how they were "cheated" in their referendum or otherwise considered themselves above others.

Not sure about winter, but just been down to the Algarve and saw a couple of French vans around Guia and very few motorhomes in general. Lots of French families buying homes in central Portugal at the moment

Around Caldas/Obidos the sites are almost empty

Reactions: kcy

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Well these two new Froggies will be in the Algarve for winter but I promise we will only empty our loo where appropriate, as for grey water, well we do not make any so give us a wide berth

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
Please explain ... I don't get which way to go: Do you mean British owned campsites in France are superb or right the opposite? From what I've read on here I would tend to think the second option, but ... see sometimes I can go very blonde and thick (sorry blondes.... my best friend is blonde and far from being simple minded .... hang on... whoops it's not her original colour... No other example in my shop , but sorry anyway LOL!)

The sites are Ok, some good, some average, some needing upgrading...On these sites, especially if they are recommended by the Caravan Club of the UK, 90% of the people will be British, the majority also members of the Caravan Club and therefore used to 'camping' in a very controlled manner.....Therefore it is the ambiance of the site which we find a little discomfort with...

Often, overly obsessive with rules and then more rules...

I shouldn't say anymore, I'm trying to be polite and there maybe some Caravan Club members reading this:oops:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Sorry about the FFFrench
Don' t you worry, I'm not taking any offense! We all have our go to whatever rant ! Thing is I have a GB at the back of my car and I bet I get some "F...!BBBBBritish" from frenchies where I live too! Which of course is nothing else but "Fun! Brilliant Brave Bubbly Brexit British" ...;)Mind you It would then be in French so more like F..... AAAAAnglais ...Fabuleux Amicaux Amusants Aimants Avenants Anglais ...:sneaky::LOL:

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Thought I should warn Funsters of the following...

Portugal has banned all motorhomes from stopping and/or overnighting anywhere other than on official campsites charging more than €15 per night.

The GNR are having a concerted effort to arrest anyone sleeping in their vans while not on a campsite.

The guilty campers spend the night in jail, are fined €1000 and their vehicles are crushed.

The weather forecast is for rain and freezing winds from October until March EVERY day.

Following the success of the electronic toll system fitted to the motorways, the transport department have extended it to ALL roads for foreign registered motorhomes.

Since becoming European Champions and having a Portuguese man as the Director General of the United Nations, the Portuguese people will make no effort to speak anything other than Portuguese to anybody, and have adopted an air of superiority in all matters. They picked up this attitude from years and years of dealing with holidaying Brits in the Algarve.

However, it is no longer required to wear shoes when driving.

JJ :cool:
On the plus side the happy smiley portugese people will be running to welcome you into their country.....;)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I have never seen any French motorhomers emptying cassettes "everywhere"...

JJ :cool:
I have, in the south spain beach wild camp recommended here......I had a dessicated turd appear outside my hab door that fell out of a bush.:Eeek:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Only one I've actually caught dumping his Cassette was Dutch At the Lizard/Kynance Cove, when I boned him about it, it was the old out, shrug shoulders and "England no speak"

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
remember most of them also went through spain /portugal . not many catch the ferry from france . some do.
years ago it was alot quieter . but then every where was.
i remember being on devils rock by banana village in maroc and if there was 15 campers on the beach it might be too many.
it certainly was a different place traveling around back then .
i hate to imagine how many m,homes are on the roads of spain and portugal. in winter.
morocco really like every where else is just getting easier for every one .
dont be put off . if you havnt been its great. but go soon as its also changing rapidly.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back