Will not start (1 Viewer)

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
My van is based on an 02 Ducato, yesterday the starter battery was a bit flat, so I charged it over night. Today I reconnected it and tried again, it turned a few times, didn't start and then nothing. Nothing happens when I turn the key, there is plenty of power in the battery and I can not see a fuse gone, any ideas or is there a starter fuse I don't know about.

Help Ralph

Phil

Free Member
Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
Hi Ralph, My Ducato is a bit older than yours but I have had a similar problem a couple of times and it turned out to be the 12v connection to the solenoid. It gets a bit corroded because it is open to the elements. I pulled the connector off the terminal and cleaned it gently with a bit of fine wet and dry, sprayed it with WD40 and put it back on, voila starts straightaway.

Phil.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Ralph

Could be a dirty/corroded connection on the earth strap from the battery to chassis or from chassis to engine.. check and clean.

Switch on the headlights, are they bright ? If so, what happens to them when you try to start? If they go dim, the battery hasn't got a full charge or it could be duff.

Let's know how you get on from there..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Beachbum

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Hamburg / Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
40 Years
My van is based on an 02 Ducato, yesterday the starter battery was a bit flat, so I charged it over night. Today I reconnected it and tried again, it turned a few times, didn't start and then nothing. Nothing happens when I turn the key, there is plenty of power in the battery and I can not see a fuse gone, any ideas or is there a starter fuse I don't know about.

Help Ralph

Hi Ralf, I tend to agree with Phil regards the solenoid. If that is still a problem. Give the starter motor a knock with a hammer and see if the engine turns. It could be the return spring in the starter motor. 99 times out of a 100 it is the solenoid.

OP
OP
Ralph-Dot
Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
Thanks all, I will not be able to do anything until tomorrow, but where is the solenoid?

Ralph

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Hi Ralph
I think they are usually bolted on top or at the side of the starter motor? You should be able to trace it by following the big lead from the starter motor to it anyway....
Good luck matey

Keith

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
try clipping a jump lead from the battery earth to a point on the engine then try starting. this will tell you if its a bad engine earth strap. you can fit a new one anywhere on the engine/chassis providing its clear of pulleys/belts/clutch cable ect.
fit a flat braided strap rather than a cable. more flexable.

john.

OP
OP
Ralph-Dot
Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
Thanks all for your help, unable to find the fault and my back is playing me up, so I have a man coming to look, will let you all know how I get on later.

Not covered for home start, need to be over quarter of a mile from home. :cry:

Ralph

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks all for your help, unable to find the fault and my back is playing me up, so I have a man coming to look, will let you all know how I get on later.

Not covered for home start, need to be over quarter of a mile from home. :cry:

Ralph

a trick i learnt while working as a breakdown recovery driver was when you join the b/d club give your home address as a family member/friends address a couple of miles away from your actual address :winky::RollEyes:. the clubs charge enough for thier services even if you dont call them out and lets face it, how many times do you call on them for help at home. i'v been a green flag member for years and only called once and they refused as i'd driven onto soft ground(grass verge) knowingly.:Angry:
there is another trick for euro cover but thats to complicated for here.

john.

RichardnGill

Free Member
Sep 22, 2007
Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a trick i learnt while working as a breakdown recovery driver was when you join the b/d club give your home address as a family member/friends address a couple of miles away from your actual address . the clubs charge enough for thier services even if you dont call them out and lets face it, how many times do you call on them for help at home. i'v been a green flag member for years and only called once and they refused as i'd driven onto soft ground(grass verge) knowingly.
there is another trick for euro cover but thats to complicated for here.

John That has to be one of the best tip's I have ever read. It is just so obvious you would never think of it.

Brilliant :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Richard...

pudseykeith

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Leeds West Riding of York
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 Years
Keep it simple

Hi.
if the battery leads are tight and clean and having tryed to engage the starter the battery connections are cold also the conections on the solinoid are cold, turn on the head lights and try to start it again. If the head light go out or go very dim the chances are that your battery has a dead cell and therefore is DUFF and needs to be changed.:Sad:
good luck, pudseykeith

pudseykeith

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Leeds West Riding of York
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 Years
Keep it Simple

Hi.
if the battery leads are tight and clean and having tryed to engage the starter the battery connections are cold also the conections on the solinoid are cold, turn on the head lights and try to start it again. If the head light go out or go very dim the chances are that your battery has a dead cell and therefore is DUFF and needs to be changed.
good luck, pudseykeith

OP
OP
Ralph-Dot
Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
To those who said it was an earth problem and those who thought it was but said nothing, as it had already been said, you were right. the earth from the gearbox to the body was loose, a ten min job to put right.

Ralph

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back