Will Never visit a main dealer ever again! (1 Viewer)

aandj

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Renault Trafic Campervan
Exp
Hi All, anyone found the same experience as us?
As we are NOT retired and are under 65?
But in our mid 40`s, clearly we aren`t retired with £50K hanging out of our back pockets therefore when you walk into any dealerships you are completely ignored, its the norm and you expect it these days?
Bit like car dealers really, they prejudge you the minute you walk through the door?
Or perhaps we drove in with a Yaris and not a BMW or Jaguar? we drive a yaris because it does 70 mpg and only 30 tax so naturally you can enjoy treats like owning a motorhome!
Anyway, we visited a local Campbells?
Oh not! not Campbells you are probably saying?
There was a scruffy chap at the gate over viewing people driving in? probably looking for the obvious retired victims to pounce on?
We went through to check out the shop for some bits before looking through their motorhomes.
As we entered the shop the miserable woman on the counter glanced at us and strolled off in the back and disappeared?
we strolled around and picked up several items.. while a bloke in a suit walked past and ignored us and sat a desk in the indoor showroom next door.
After ten minutes we stood by the empty till holding many items for over £150 in value?
still no-one over 5 minutes later?
the chap at the desk on the phone ignored us?
Then a young lad in an ill fitting suit walks through, clearly a salesman, completely ignores us and passes right past us? obviously its beneath him to talk to or serve us? no commission here?
At this point i`ve had enough as the scruffy bloke off the gate strolls in with a cup of coffee? takes a few moments to notice us and says " oh, are you being served?"
At this point i flip!
"obviously not? i`ve being stood here ten minutes trying to spend money before looking at your vans but clearly you don`t want to sell anything?"
I Strolled over to the salesman from earlier at the desk on the phone who also ignored us and simply dropped everything all over his lap and wiping his desk out and we walked out!
None of them looked the slightest bit bothered or interested or could care less?
They had already prejudged us that we wasn't going to spend 50K so we aren`t interested?
Typical main dealer mentality!
did we complain to the company? why bother? clearly part of their training and company policy.
Typical of customer service in too many places today?
I earn more than their top price motorhomes per year and probably far more than any of them on their comissions.
One day when we choose to spend that much on one we will get the cash out and visit main dealers on purpose just to be ignored then slap them across the chops with the cash on the way out the door and say!
"your loss! don`t prejudge! :ROFLMAO:

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
You went to the wrong dealership! It's usual to let you pull the vans about and salesmen won't badger you the way they used to. That's good, but we've never been ignored, at the dealerships we visit any staff member present at least wishes us good morning.
Never heard of Campbell's but if your experience is the norm they seem to have a problem.

OP
OP
aandj

aandj

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Renault Trafic Campervan
Exp
Had the same at any Campbells and Brownhills especially bad!
Was just amazing that every member of staff that seemed to be there had the same mentality?
Bet if my retired parents drove in and looked at a van they would be all over them!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Had the same at any Campbells and Brownhills especially bad!
Was just amazing that every member of staff that seemed to be there had the same mentality?
Bet if my retired parents drove in and looked at a van they would be all over them!

I don't think it's age related at all and I'd bet that on the day you visited the Dealer Principal was on hols/day off/hung over. Look for the small family firms that have franchises, my experience with them has always been posititve. Brownhills..............say no more! PS I wish I was your age!;)

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
I don't think it's age related either

Any dealer I've been in have always been courteous and polite .......i still wouldn't buy a van from them but I've test driven a few and spent a few afternoons pulling them to bits in peace :)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I get that sometimes I don't bother to shave if I'm off work and tend to buy my non work clothes on the cheap so after a day or two off look a bit scruffy .But I have to say when I went to the NEC the bloke from Lowdhams was fine. The one from Elite seemed to think I was a timewaster guess who got the order!!

David

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Naw, some of us have that natural ain't got a penny to scratch with look.:D

Yep! Went into Brownhills Preston (Now Campbell's I think) in a similar situation looking to spend 60k on a Hymer and was utterly ignored. Same thing at Newark. Ended up at another dealer dressed in usual scruffy jeans and tee shirt and spent a very large wedge with them instead.

Jul 23, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
knaus van ti 600mg
Exp
Getting There since 2013
Next time try phoning ahead first tell them your interested in buying with a 50k budget and if its ok to come along and have a couple of test drives. I'd like to see what your experience would be like then ;)

"Can I get you a tea or a coffee sir" or depending how you look "a glass of buckfasf" :D

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Agree , that's why I always buy private, but saying that if I go to a dealers place I'm glad when they ignore me , means you can have a good ferret about in their vans without them trying to sell you anything, I'm the same in any shop, I'm fine as long as no salesman is taking any notice but as soon as someone comes up with can I help you sir , I'm off

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I have never been to Cambells ....sounds quite unacceptable behaviour !
We did buy our MH from Brownhills because they had exactly what we wanted at a good price and apart from a few teething problems in the beginning we have not had many complaints . In the shop there we have always been served promptly and surprisingly have found many of the items bought to be cheaper
than anywhere else. So far so good .

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Agree , that's why I always buy private, but saying that if I go to a dealers place I'm glad when they ignore me , means you can have a good ferret about in their vans without them trying to sell you anything, I'm the same in any shop, I'm fine as long as no salesman is taking any notice but as soon as someone comes up with can I help you sir , I'm off
Yep that's how I like it , if I want to speak to a salesman il go look for one , if they hang around bothering me I tend to leave .....Most haven't a clue what they're selling anyway ......when my sister bought hers I had to show the salesman how the bed made up etc he didn't have a clue

Same when I bought my new car

I test drove one from main vw dealer and the head salesman who took me on the test drive told me the passat cc didn't come with cruise control as it was a drivers car ... .. guess what the one I bought from Arnold Clark had cruise control .......when in for service at vw I actually spoke to the salesman who misinformed me ...rather than admit his mistake he proceeded to feed me manure about being retro fitted etc

Full of poo. ....just didn't have a clue

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
In our search for a PVC we visited Marquis in Ipswich (since re-located) , not to buy nor indeed because we were looking for an Autocruise ( the make they stock) but simply to get an idea of sizes and layouts..

When the sales guy asked if he could help I explained why I was there, I also asked if he have any used Globecars in stock..
He said no, but was happy to show us inside a few Autocruise models.. and even though he new I wasn't buying he was polite, knowledgeable and courteous..

I have never bought from Marquis, or know anyone who has, but would certainly consider if they had the van I was looking for, no point in cutting your nose off despite your face.. same for any 'main' dealer. I take as I find.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Jim, I got my Autosleeper from Marquis Ipswich and found them good to deal with. After sales was a bit chaotic as some low life had nicked a few things off the van when on display (including the carpets which were kept in the locker!!) but they were courteous and helpful, even when confronted by a scruffy gorilla in jeans and tee shirt.

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
First the "powerless victim", then the aggressive "revenge seeker". Clearly that works for you in some way but I'm not certain how one gains anything practical with such an approach.

Good staff quickly move up the ladder and go on to better things, the less capable are left to deal with the public and the truly awful wind up as telephone support personnel. Zombie shop staff are ubiquitous and you have to develop a technique to deal with them.

There's an old story about a farmer who was using his donkey to get to market. He loaded it up with produce but it wouldn't move. He pushed it and pulled it but no joy. A friend passed by and enquired as to the problem. On hearing the farmer's tale the friend picked up a length of wood and smacked the animal hard over the backside with it, whereupon the donkey proceeded to amble up the road. The farmer was astonished and asked his friend why this method worked. "Well", said the friend,"first you have to get its attention".

If I wish to purchase something and I'm not getting the attention I require then I make sure the nearest individual knows that I'm ready to buy and that I require their assistance, using politeness, eye contact and a firm tone. If there's nobody about I go and find them. This seems to work. Of course in an ideal world it shouldn't have to be that way but clearly it's not an ideal world.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
If it was Campbells at the old Brownhills site at Kirkham are you sure they weren't former Brownhills staff re-employed?

Sep 24, 2013
Torbay, Devon
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1992
I once went into Highbridge as I wanted a Hymer 534 with the rear lounge, after searching for a salesman and asking to look inside their display one (all their vans were locked) he got the keys and took us over with a "this will be a waste of time look on his face" answered a few questions as if he had to go somewhere in a hurry, I then asked for a part exchange quote on my 2 year old van and was amazed when he said "oh no we don't get to that bit unless you order" so guess what I went and spent £60,000 with another dealer the week after who always has time for a chat and a cup of coffee even if I just call in for a look around.
Don

Steveth

Free Member
Mar 29, 2014
Wherever We Are Parked
Funster No
MH
Swift Esprit462 (Freddie)
Exp
Since 2014
We bought from Marquis in Berkshire and were treated with respect, allowed to crawl all over any motorhome we wanted and all questions were answered fully and by very knowledgeable staff. They were very open to negotiate knowing they were in competition with two others dealers and we ended up with a good deal with several extras included.

The opposite to this was Michael Jordan in Surrey. We had to ask to be served. The Sales Manager reluctantly showed us a couple of motorhomes, and we informed him we were cash buyers and he was in competition with two other dealers. We were very interested in a Bailey and when we asked if the price was negotiable he said No. When we said we will cash buy today, he said No, take it or leave it!
The same Bailey was still there earlier this month, in stock at the same price!!

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
I once went into Highbridge as I wanted a Hymer 534 with the rear lounge, after searching for a salesman and asking to look inside their display one (all their vans were locked) he got the keys and took us over with a "this will be a waste of time look on his face" answered a few questions as if he had to go somewhere in a hurry, I then asked for a part exchange quote on my 2 year old van and was amazed when he said "oh no we don't get to that bit unless you order" so guess what I went and spent £60,000 with another dealer the week after who always has time for a chat and a cup of coffee even if I just call in for a look around.
Don
Is that the one near Cambridge?

I drove 300 and odd miles to view a euro mobile there once.

I was told the dearer the van I bought the higher trade in I'd get for mine :)

Not sure how that works as I thought it went on book price

I was offered £6k for a 15k van against a 28k van ..Needless to say it was a wasted journey I sold privately for 15k and bought a burstner which was 2 years newer with half the miles of the euro mobile for 25k privately

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Never ever had this problem in Germany, from dealers or buying privately. Maybe they are of the opinion that if you have taken the trouble to go to Germany to buy a van, you are a committed buyer. There is of course two sides to every story, and I can imagine that a motorhome sales pitch is a good day out for some. Some even encourage tyre kickers by having a cafe on site. I can just imagine Bert saying to Gladys on a nice sunny Sunday "Come on dear, lets go and have a look at some motorhomes, for when we win the lottery". It must be very difficult spotting a serious buyer from a tyre kicker, especially when the salesman has had little experience. Having sold enough vehicles over the years, I can spot a tyre kicker before he opens his mouth.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I just love it when I'm ignored, the aftermath really, really, makes my day:sneaky:

Sometimes ruins some other peoples day tho!:rolleyes:

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
We bought from Marquis in Berkshire and were treated with respect, allowed to crawl all over any motorhome we wanted and all questions were answered fully and by very knowledgeable staff. They were very open to negotiate knowing they were in competition with two others dealers and we ended up with a good deal with several extras included.

The opposite to this was Michael Jordan in Surrey. We had to ask to be served. The Sales Manager reluctantly showed us a couple of motorhomes, and we informed him we were cash buyers and he was in competition with two other dealers. We were very interested in a Bailey and when we asked if the price was negotiable he said No. When we said we will cash buy today, he said No, take it or leave it!
The same Bailey was still there earlier this month, in stock at the same price!!

Count yourself lucky!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back