Will never polish by hand again (1 Viewer)

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
The paint finish on a Motorhome is not that thick Maguirs oxidation remover appears to remove some of the paint. Be Ok on gelcoat as its reasonably thick by comparison to MH side walls.,

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
It is pretty normal to clean grp boat hulls (top sides, not below the waterline) with oxalic acid before polishing. That doesn’t take any of the gel coat off. I might try it on my Hymer front as just polishing seems not enough to give a deep finish.
Anyone done this to their van?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
I have not actually used it on my hull, but I have watched most of my mates at the club use it on older hulls. Yes, toxic stuff, I think its a diluted solution, but will check and advise. I have used oxalic acid crystals on my deck though, where anchor chain and similar rust stains the gel coat. Sprinkle some on, agitate with water and brush to get the marks off - it does - then rinse off with a couple of buckets of sea water. Spotless.
Incidentally, I, and my mates, hand or machine polish depending preference or speed. Most of us with a product called McQuires (I might have mis-spelled that). It does the job very well. Though our chandlery might be an influencing factor in the brand usage!

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I have not actually used it on my hull, but I have watched most of my mates at the club use it on older hulls. Yes, toxic stuff, I think its a diluted solution, but will check and advise. I have used oxalic acid crystals on my deck though, where anchor chain and similar rust stains the gel coat. Sprinkle some on, agitate with water and brush to get the marks off - it does - then rinse off with a couple of buckets of sea water. Spotless.
Incidentally, I, and my mates, hand or machine polish depending preference or speed. Most of us with a product called McQuires (I might have mis-spelled that). It does the job very well. Though our chandlery might be an influencing factor in the brand usage!

Meguiars I think you mean, a lot of motorhomers use it too.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Treat myself to a dual action polisher and with maguirs oxidation remover, Polish and carnauba wax she looks amazing. Never got anywhere near this finish before?
When I had a boat I used a machine simply because 20 metres of GRP was daunting, however with our MHs I prefer doing it by hand so I get close and personal to all the surfaces, it is amazing what you will see. For example I picked up very early the tiniest of pin heads of osmosis on the front GRP cap of the Flair which led to the van going back to the factory for a complete repaint.
Still have the 2 polishers. Thing to be aware of for newbie users on GRP, high speed and too much pressure can lead very quickly to burn marks as the gel overheats, also gel is very thin, not as thin as paint of course however edges could already have been attacked at the factory by enthusiastic finishers and you are at risk of polishing down to the mat. I can point you to examples on my Morelo so take care.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
When I had a boat I used a machine simply because 20 metres of GRP was daunting, however with our MHs I prefer doing it by hand so I get close and personal to all the surfaces, it is amazing what you will see. For example I picked up very early the tiniest of pin heads of osmosis on the front GRP cap of the Flair which led to the van going back to the factory for a complete repaint.
Still have the 2 polishers. Thing to be aware of for newbie users on GRP, high speed and too much pressure can lead very quickly to burn marks as the gel overheats, also gel is very thin, not as thin as paint of course however edges could already have been attacked at the factory by enthusiastic finishers and you are at risk of polishing down to the mat. I can point you to examples on my Morelo so take care.
Hi Michael

You would/should need wet and dry to get that far through a gelcoat, sounds like their laminators need a kick up the jacksy.

Martin

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Hi Michael

You would/should need wet and dry to get that far through a gelcoat, sounds like their laminators need a kick up the jacksy.

Martin
Maybe Martin, but on one sharp acute edge in the black gel I can see its thin. Admittedly only about 15mm long but I think they have had trouble with the black gel on the new Palace Liner.
Unfortunately not sure how it can be invisibly reinstated.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Maybe Martin, but on one sharp acute edge in the black gel I can see its thin. Admittedly only about 15mm long but I think they have had trouble with the black gel on the new Palace Liner.
Unfortunately not sure how it can be invisibly reinstated.
With great difficulty would be the answer but I am surprised that there is a problem on sharp outside edges as these are of course inside corners during the moulding process so more prone to thick than thin.

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back