Will I be causing problems (1 Viewer)

Sep 21, 2013
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since Apr 2013
I have already got 2 110 amp batteries fitted in my motorhome connected to a 100w solar panel. I don't know the age of the batteries as they were fitted when I got her and to get to the one under the front seat means removing the captains chair which weighs a ton.
The second battery is under the side seats and has a lot of room around it and I was wondering if I could install 2 more leisure batteries along side this to prolong my off grid time. The two leisure batteries I am thinking of are for sale on here so don't have full details of them.
When going away I usually have a 4 or 5 hour initial drive to anywhere as I live on Isle of Wight so going anywhere usually takes a reasonable drive
Would this work or is it just going to cause problems.
Thanks for the advice I know I'll receive.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Don't forget about weight they will take quite a lot of your payload.

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
If you are charging four batteries and only driving 4 or 5 hours, and only have 100 Watt solar, you may want to consider a Battery to Battery charger as well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Also, make sure that if your placing them under the seats, and they are lead acid batteries, that the compartment they are in is vented. Charging lead acid batteries give off hydrogen gas, which is extremely volatile.

When batteries are being recharged, they generate hydrogen gas that is explosive in certain concentrations in air (explosive limits are 4.1 to 72 percent hydrogen in air). The ventilation system can exchange an adequate amount of fresh air for the number of batteries being charged. This is essential to prevent an explosion. Also, no flame, burning cigarette, or other source of ignition should be permitted in the area.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
If the existing batteries are not performing well, they are 'dead weight'. Much better to replace than supplement them. Trying to add another bank is complex if done properly, and an unnecessarily expense.
Do you know how many Ah you use between hook-ups, or moving on? An Ah counter (battery monitor) may be a better investment, to tell you what your requirements are. Use that first, then you can start to determine what capacity is required. Buy a new bank to suit your needs all in one go.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
If you are going to add batteries to you bank, it might not be a good idea. Your battery bank should be all the same type same amp hour and usually new together.

You should be able to stay off grid for quite a while with your set up, in summertime you could probably stay indefinately.

Why do you reckon you need more capacity?

OP
OP
vectian
Sep 21, 2013
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since Apr 2013
Thank you all for your feedback and help.
I think you have all put me off my idea.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
cheap second hand batteries may look a good idea but there are way too many variables. especially ask yourself, why were they replaced

used batteries generally scrap metal

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back