LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi we have an 80 cm satellite dish which works a treat in Santa Suzanna, but if I get the go ahead from the hospital tomorrow we will be ordering a new dish and planning our trip to the South of Spain in January.

My question is will a 1.1 metre dish work? We always take our sky HD box. We really dont want a dish bigger than 1.1!!

Any help or advice appreciated.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi we have an 80 cm satellite dish which works a treat in Santa Suzanna, but if I get the go ahead from the hospital tomorrow we will be ordering a new dish and planning our trip to the South of Spain in January.

My question is will a 1.1 metre dish work? We always take our sky HD box. We really dont want a dish bigger than 1.1!!

Hi Teasy
I have a 1.2 free standing dish which works ok in La Manga and Bennicassim, but having said that it does drop channels from time to time with time of day and weather conditions etc, of caurse a clear line of reception is required even with a bigger dish, a friend has one of those 6 section bolt together dish's which works the same as my smaller one. Pete :thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

Best advise is to read this site .. also look at the footprint maps to see what different dish sizes can or can't receive..

http://www.satelliteforcaravans.co.uk/

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
My question is will a 1.1 metre dish work?

Simple answer : Yes the dish will work.

More complex answer:

But it depends which channels you want to work and even then it may not get all channels all day. As signals are spread over 5 satellites using 8 different beams, each with its own footprint / reception characteristics reception will vary for various channels, especially in finge reception areas like south spain.

So it is OK to say yes it works, but it may be better to specify which channels work in certain areas and which will be berderline.

For example, you may find reception of BBC1,2,itv1,2,3,4, c4 is marginal - as these are on the astra 2d satellite - more focused on the Uk.
Yet channels such as C4HD and Five HD and Sky One, and Sky Sports 1,2,3 should have no problems - as theses are on more "pan european2 bems

Some of the LNBs that are quoted as 0.1 on their box are actually 0.2 rated in the tech specs!!!! An inverto ultra black is said to be one of the better perfoming offset LNBs

The footprints maps are OK as a very general guide, but not exactly accurate. Again it depends on a number of things. For example they say I ned a 2.4m dish for astra 2d reception where I am. Yet my 1.8m dish is fine for the 2d verticals. Yet a 3.1m dish will still not work for the A2D horizontals.

a friend has one of those 6 section bolt together dish's which works the same as my smaller one
Fortecstar "petal" dishesa re a complete waste of money, as you have seen.
their 2.4m dish perform as about as good as a 1.4m dish! they are not exactly made from good quality material, not very robust, panels are easily bent, need to be installed 10000% perfectly which is not helped when the predrilled holes are not perfect, and adjustment of the dish means moving the whole dish, including the support frame!!!! they may be cheap, but they are cheap for a reason. avoid.

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005

Well the consultant has said I am ok to travel! I dont need to go back to the CCU and the tablets are working fine!

One unfortunate side affect of the Amiodorone is that I cant go out in the sun, but I have bought some P20 so hopefully that will offsett the effects.

So the next step is to book the tunnel and start planning where and when we are going. We have never been to Spain in January so any advice would be appreciated. We were going to go to southern Spain but I think Benicassim might be far enough this time.

Ginny

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Well the consultant has said I am ok to travel! I dont need to go back to the CCU and the tablets are working fine!

One unfortunate side affect of the Amiodorone is that I cant go out in the sun, but I have bought some P20 so hopefully that will offsett the effects.

So the next step is to book the tunnel and start planning where and when we are going. We have never been to Spain in January so any advice would be appreciated. We were going to go to southern Spain but I think Benicassim might be far enough this time

Ginny

Hi Ginny
You wont go far wrong in Bennicassim, I reccomend Bonterra Park if you have not stayed there before,good facilities, good bar retaurant on site, supermarket facing the front gate, town centre and beach around 10 min walk, bus service across the road behind the supermarket, we have many friends there now if you have any probs with satalite look up Ray Morgan he will sort it and say hello from me and lynn he's a good chap and will fix it for you, he normally does mine lol. We will be there 1st day after easter for our 4th visit. Pete :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I was on Amiodarone foir a bit.

It makes you very sensitive to the sun, in fact I could tell where the sun was on an overcast day just by the feel of it on my skin.

Do not attempt to get a tan, you will not go brown but a rather unflattering blue/black.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back