Wildcamping in Ireland (1 Viewer)

B

bq125rex

Deleted User
the motorhome association at yahoo groups

Pat we have been campaigning for motorhome stop over points the removal of height restriction barriers and the provision of Aires de Services for some time We have lobbieb the government and councils in Northern Ireland and Achieved a seminar on the subject. We have a meeting planned with the tourism minister and have made inroads into the Dail. We set up the Motorhome Association to harness the power of Motor home Clubs and private owners to add weight to the argument and we are starting to get results Please Email the motorhome association @ yahoo groups. Regards Chris and Brian

el-D

Free Member
Apr 5, 2009
W Dorset
Funster No
MH
A-class
Does anyone have up-to-date information or experience of wild camping in Eire? I looked at the site linked at the start of this thread but at the moment it seems to mostly consist of moans about poor campsites not wild camping tips. We are probably going to be mostly in the west if that looks feasible.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ginge61

Free Member
Oct 29, 2007
n/wales
Funster No
MH
c class/t25 vw
Exp
since noah was a lad lol
were there last year didnt have any probs wild camping but as stated alot of hight restrictions on places so you just have to look :thumb:

aido

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
Co. Wicklow
Funster No
MH
Euromobil
Exp
8 years
post subject

There are plenty of places in the west of Ireland to wildcamp lots of people do it, we would'nt.
If everyone wildcamped there would be no need for caravan parks.

Aido

el-D

Free Member
Apr 5, 2009
W Dorset
Funster No
MH
A-class
Hi again! We tend to wild camp for a couple of nights then go on a site and so on for the duration of the holiday. It works really well in France, there are so many options there - and the campsites seem to be well utilised too so no-one really loses out.

I've read accounts of poor campsites in Eire but which still charge high fees. I've not had experience there yet so I don't know if this is justified or not. We go on July 6th so I'll soon find out won't I. If it is the case then I'm afraid the campsites have only themselves to blame if people want to wild camp instead of using them. While we have a choice we'll exercise it won't we.

::bigsmile:

B

BuzzLand

Deleted User
Hi again! We tend to wild camp for a couple of nights then go on a site and so on for the duration of the holiday. It works really well in France, there are so many options there - and the campsites seem to be well utilised too so no-one really loses out.

I've read accounts of poor campsites in Eire but which still charge high fees. I've not had experience there yet so I don't know if this is justified or not. We go on July 6th so I'll soon find out won't I. If it is the case then I'm afraid the campsites have only themselves to blame if people want to wild camp instead of using them. While we have a choice we'll exercise it won't we.

::bigsmile:

That's the spirit, my relatives have land in Eire and go wild camping around the west coast. Never any problems from the Garda nor any autocrats.

Travel Lightly

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Co. Tipperary, Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
three years
There's loads of places in Co. Tipperary for WC, in fact, there are tonnes of places all over the country, just pick your spots carefully and you'll have no hassle from anyone. We wild camp in towns, villages and even on back roads where there's lots of space and all without a bother.

I'd be very happy to point out all the best places around Co. Tipperary to anyone visiting the area.

L

looking

Deleted User
There are a lot of good spots to wildcamp in Ireland and the best place to find these is at Link Removed but remember like anyplace else these days, you have to be carteful and remember the old addage "safety in numbers"

I went to ireland for amonth last year and wild camped all the time.We stopped in the south part and had no trouble at all. we camped it the middle of villages as we stopped fot a meal and asked the vilage people we were told that it was ok as we would be gone in the morning.we also stopped in pub carparks after asking if we could. said we did not like to drive after drinking, not that we drink much anyway.We wild camp were ever we go as been pensioners we just can not aford to go into parks at £12 to £25 a night. Irish people are very friendly and we had a great time, good luck and enjoy. George

crazylazy

Free Member
Apr 24, 2009
South East
Funster No
MH
Low-Profile
Exp
4 weeks.. twice out in it
I haven't used my motorhome in Ireland but I have been to the west coast a lot,Kilkelly area...I did look at the camp-site in Knock which is very near the Shrine...the entrance and driveway to the site is a bit rough looking but the site is super.......the Travellers of course do not use the sites...this bank holiday in Ireland all the Travellers converge on Knock ..so beware but the West Coast is wonderful especially Achil Island....Westport etc....next time I go over I will have a word with some of the folk in Kilkelly and Glan to see if they may offer use of their land or driveways for overnighters....Kilkelly and Glan is where time has stood still.....GREAT PEOPLE!

ColoradoMelinda

Free Member
Jan 1, 2010
Colorado, United States
Funster No
MH
renting one!
Exp
never--we're tent campers!
looking for free camping recommendations

Travel Lightly--

I would appreciate your recommendations on free camping in County Tipperary. We'll be traveling in a campervan and plan to camp as el-D does--a few nights free camping, and then a few nights in a camping park.

Thanks!

Travel Lightly

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Co. Tipperary, Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
three years
Travel Lightly--

I would appreciate your recommendations on free camping in County Tipperary. We'll be traveling in a campervan and plan to camp as el-D does--a few nights free camping, and then a few nights in a camping park.

Thanks!

Hi Melinda, and a Happy New year!:Smile:

For wild camping it really depends on what area you want to stop for the night [or two] but generally speaking you’ll have no difficulties in most places, in towns like Nenagh, Thurles or Cashel for example we always see Campers pulling in for the night, something we do ourselves without any incidences. Clonmel is OK too, but perhaps less inviting for campers during the weekends when the place becomes very lively with young revellers. Oh, to be young again:roflmto:

Having said that most places are like this anyway, but my experience is if you stay away from the town centres there shouldn't be any problem.
If you were to give me a clearer idea of the parts of Co. Tipperary you might be going to I'd be able help you more.

Incidentally, the village where we live, the Horse and Jockey, is an ideal place to stop over for free. It's about 5 miles from Thurles.

kent mike

Free Member
Dec 29, 2009
mid kent
Funster No
MH
autotrial 696g
Exp
6 years
wayfarer

thanks Pat----If travelling up from southern England what is the most economical way to cross the Irish Sea---Might go for it this summer---Regards Mike::bigsmile:

OP
OP
wayfarer

wayfarer

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Co. Clare. Ireland
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Hi Mike,
I would say Pembroke to Rosslare or if you want to go further north Holyhead to Dublin. Then travel clockwise around. The south and west are really beautiful.

spudandpatricia

Free Member
Oct 3, 2008
Wigan, Lancs, England
Funster No
MH
Lowprofile
Exp
Free camping does not seem to be a problem

Hi

We free camped a couple of months ago while we were over in Republic of Ireland. Had no problems at all. I would suggest just being sensible, courteous and alert where you stay. We stopped at some brilliant places with views to dream of.

Also stayed overnight on the Liffey in Dublin.

I suggest finding your own places to camp, it's all part of the fun. Also we will not tend to overkill some places and then cause grief for locals.

Have a good new year everyone

sue1959

Free Member
Feb 11, 2010
Ireland
Funster No
Exp
non as yet, hired in Canada a couple of times. hope to buy in the next few years.
For anyone thinking of coming to Ireland I've posted a few photos from my neck of the woods in the galleries.

If you're coming to Westport, Co Mayo and on to Leenane and Connemara go through Louisburgh as this follows the coast and is the most scenic and you'll get a better view of Doolough.

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
We are lucky, we have family in Tramore, so we are able to use the field at the back of the GAA, (not far to stagger back to the van after a hooley with family):Eeek: and even when out and about we always WC for 4 or 5 days then on a campsite for a day or so the refill with water, and empty the loo. :RollEyes:

el-D

Free Member
Apr 5, 2009
W Dorset
Funster No
MH
A-class
Here I am with a rather belated addition to this thread!

Well, we went on our trip as planned and had a fantastic holiday. We took a couple of days crossing the country, heading for Connemara in the west. We were not disappointed! We followed our usual 'France practice' and went on sites about every third day. In between, we camped wild and found some of the most amazing places to stop the night. They ranged from a car park in town, right on the river, to tiny harbours and lay-bys on country roads. Perhaps the most memorable was a hard stand virtually on the beach a little way around the Connemara Ring where we spent the night in total isolation, watching the most spectacular sunset and going to sleep to the sound of the waves.

As far as the sites were concerned, I guess we had the usual mix that you'd expect pretty well anywhere. For the most part I thought they were a bit expensive for what they were and some were rather primative with their facilities. We don't look for clubhouses and on site shops and so on so that aspect didn't much concern us but I can see that some might be disappointed, especially where the price was a bit on the high side for what was provided.

Having RV-camped in the USA and NZ I find that the value for money in this part of the world, Britain and Eire, doesn't really match what we have found there.

But hey, a great holiday and I'd recommend it to anyone who loves the great wild outdoors.

mythor

Free Member
Dec 2, 2009
scotland
Funster No
Exp
one year and six months
Wild camping Ireland

We were in Ireland in May ( heat wave wonderful) we did not wild camp, but when we arrived in Rossis Point Sligo and we got on site I noticed wild campers on the grass part of the car Park Leading to the Beaches there were loads of them Motor homes and tents I saw someone with the same year motor home as my self I was having problems ( thats another story ) L/B died.
But in the main I was asking about the wild camping there if they ever had any problems as I had seen the police drive around. and I had never thought of wild camping there he said no they come drive around as long as nothing is amiss they just go out again. There were quite a few surfers , divers, there was no noise and we only had a fence between us which we used to climb through to walk the dogs on the beach. and that area is on grass but sand unter it so is solid. and it is a level as any pitch on the campsite trust me on that! So if you are going over that way beautiful beaches public toilet's as well and the rubbish was left by the day trippers not the campers but there is a man out first thing in the mornings cleaning up the place is as good as new by 9 am or 10 .

el-D

Free Member
Apr 5, 2009
W Dorset
Funster No
MH
A-class
Thanks for that addition to the information here. I'm glad you enjoyed your time in Eire. I would definitely go again - although the next trip might be Germany.

:Smile:

keithfal

Free Member
Mar 6, 2010
Worcester area
Funster No
MH
C class Ducato LP
Exp
36 months
Wild camping Ireland

We were in Ireland in May ( heat wave wonderful) we did not wild camp, but when we arrived in Rossis Point Sligo and we got on site I noticed wild campers on the grass part of the car Park Leading to the Beaches there were loads of them Motor homes and tents I saw someone with the same year motor home as my self I was having problems ( thats another story ) L/B died.
But in the main I was asking about the wild camping there if they ever had any problems as I had seen the police drive around. and I had never thought of wild camping there he said no they come drive around as long as nothing is amiss they just go out again. There were quite a few surfers , divers, there was no noise and we only had a fence between us which we used to climb through to walk the dogs on the beach. and that area is on grass but sand unter it so is solid. and it is a level as any pitch on the campsite trust me on that! So if you are going over that way beautiful beaches public toilet's as well and the rubbish was left by the day trippers not the campers but there is a man out first thing in the mornings cleaning up the place is as good as new by 9 am or 10 .

We were told about the Rossis Point area by an Irish couple we met on our trip and it did look fine when we got to Sligo BUT there are lots of signs saying no camping. I have no doubt that if you arrive latish and park up you wont be bothered. Nice tap for filling up at at the back of the toilets.
We went on the official camp site which as others have said was expensive.
Our best wild camps were in Donegal and we were alone on a beachside camp. We also stopped beside a German fishing party's van on a harbourwall, in a pub carpark and several other interesting spots all with great seaviews. Most interesting pitch was on top of a mountain looking out to the Mull of kintyre with a seamist rolling across and up the mountain. Eire - fabulous scenery and lousy roads. Antrim coast has good scenery and good roads:thumb:Go now!

sandied

Free Member
Sep 21, 2010
Essex
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starfire
Exp
2 years
Touring Eire in march

We are going to Eire in march and will be driving up from Essex. We didn't want to travel with a full tank of water. We are planning on a mix of wild camping and the occasional stop off at a campsite or two. ( They do seem to be rather expensive there though) Can anyone suggest the best places to acquire water when we arrive please. Reading through this forum it appears that many of you do wild camp here so any help will be appreciated.
We went up to the lake district last year and had no problems with wild camping.

Denbo

Free Member
Apr 21, 2013
Bury
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
Exp
Since 2001
Dublin

Does anyone know where to park in Dublin centre as we are going for a few days over Christmas

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Does anyone know where to park in Dublin centre as we are going for a few days over Christmas

No idea and the council doesn't publish anything for motorhomes on its Parking Web Page. However, there are contact details at the foot of the page so it's probably worth getting in touch with them for direct advice.

Johnnie Gee

Free Member
May 1, 2009
Near Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2000
Dublin at Christmas

I've stayed at the camach valley site on the south side of Dublin many times. It is open all year round and has a regular bus service to take you into town:thumb:
There are shops about 10 mins walk from the site in Clondolkin and of course plenty to do in Dublin itself.
Hope you have a great time, I normally do

JJG

Sep 30, 2013
SE Ireland
Funster No
MH
2017 Boxer PVC
Exp
Since Sept 2013
Stayed at the Camac campsite last weekend and it is a fabulous site, facilities are excellent and it is adjacent to a brilliant public park - Corkagh Park - lakes, fishing, playing fields, cricket ground, baseball, GAA pitches, pet farm, exercise equipment, etc and very convenient to Dublin Airport if hiring a camper and beside the M7 if planning to head south west. 24 hr security for peace of mind. 30 euro per night; we considered it good value given its location and proximity to great amenities.
Joe

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back