Wildcamping a Beginners Guide (1 Viewer)

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
It is motorhoming at its rawist (real word?)

The way to enjoy the great outdoors at its best without the crowds.

We love to open the doors in the morning and be on our own.

20140121_182628-1.jpg

Beakster

Free Member
Feb 19, 2017
Brighton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm new!
Our first night ever was wild camping. We'd only had the MH for 2 days... but it was only the car park at Devil's Dyke nr Brighton.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Good article but curiously, when I click on the link, it says "Howdy Champers" in the top right. Weird.

This is my best wild spot to date, it's a listed aire so the purists might not accept it as true "wilding" but it has no facilities, just a rough space on the cliff top. Cabo Finisterre, Galicia.

3 Cabo Finisterre.jpg

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Very well written Jim. We love wild camping but aren't too tight to use a proper site or CL. I hope that your guide tempts a few more motorhomers to give it a go.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Looking again at my shot of an "almost wild camping" spot above, I hadn't noticed that the giant, whose head can be seen below, is also visible. With a bit of imagination you can see him lying asleep up the cliff. Best to click on the image above to see it and look to the left of our van for the head, which has a very big nose.
Getting off the beaten track leads to all sorts of discoveries. :)

P4260170.JPG

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
well written article Jim,my only concern would be the grey water on a road ,we left a ferry riding our motorcycles in Calais,the moho in front was dripping and as we went around the roundabout one of our guys slipped on the grey water and ended up with a broken arm

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
An interesting article Jim but I'm sorry but I don't agree with your statement " Wildcamping it’s what motorhomes are for". That is one valid use but many people, and for a variety of reasons, never "Wildcamp" but enjoy the use of their motorhomes just as much.

Cheers

Dave

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Good article but curiously, when I click on the link, it says "Howdy Champers" in the top right. Weird.

This is my best wild spot to date, it's a listed aire so the purists might not accept it as true "wilding" but it has no facilities, just a rough space on the cliff top. Cabo Finisterre, Galicia.

View attachment 149381
lovely looking spot john ,my idea of a peacefull corner with a view to die for

Attachments

• tolsta beach.jpg
    tolsta beach.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 56
  • tolsta.jpg
    tolsta.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 55
Reactions: DBK

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Oh dear, dear, dear...

In most cases, not using a "proper" site or CL has nothing to do with money... ;)

JJ :cool:

Seemed to me that I was giving a rousing endorsement of both wild camping & using sites? (y)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Seemed to me that I was giving a rousing endorsement of both wild camping & using sites? (y)

Please, please, please don't mind me.

I am in a very strange mood these last few days...

Much, much too sensitive about things!

I constantly allow myself to get all hot and bothered when I think folk are claiming "off-site" motorhomers only do it because they don't want to spend money... and that the only place you can get rid of your black and grey water is at campsites...

Please forgive me... :(

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Only one thing puzzles me ,How did the van in the picture get through that tiny gate ?

Vlad

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Please, please, please don't mind me.

I am in a very strange mood these last few days...

Much, much too sensitive about things!

I constantly allow myself to get all hot and bothered when I think folk are claiming "off-site" motorhomers only do it because they don't want to spend money... and that the only place you can get rid of your black and grey water is at campsites...

Please forgive me... :(

No problem mate, tis forgotten already.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
that why I just built a smaller camper to get to the places other camper's can reach the mane rule I stick to clean up when you arrive and before you leave dispose of your waste responsibly leave nothing but foot prints
bill

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
An interesting read @Jim . In particular you say that
"An extra cassette to double your black waste is always a good idea. You can buy storage solutions for these so they fit under the motorhome."​
Can anybody please tell me where I might find these?

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
We love wild camping, have many great spots around the country that we wish not ever to share, did a campsite a few months back as we were low on water and regreted ever going on there, putting up with other selfish peoples crap is something i would rather not be paying for, i like to go where i want when i want, i know some have to use sites for other or personal reasons but thats your/my choice... whatever your faves are its all the same - KEEP ON CAMPING !

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Great article @Jim. We love a bit of wild camping.

Its all about the location for us - proximity and view. Like yourself we are happy to pay if a campsite or aire can deliver it.

Its a shame so many people mess it up for the rest of us.

We are currently in new zealand where the NZMCA have got lots of areas for freedom camping, its wonderful but undr constant threat from kids in cars freeloading, dumping in the bushes etc.

Jon

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
An interesting article Jim but I'm sorry but I don't agree with your statement " Wildcamping it’s what motorhomes are for". That is one valid use but many people, and for a variety of reasons, never "Wildcamp" but enjoy the use of their motorhomes just as much.

Cheers

Dave

Of course there is more than one valid use; a hammer can be used as a screwdriver too.. :D Being self sufficient, and carrying everything you need with you; not being dependent on a site makes the motorhome ideal for wild camping, of course not exclusively. There are some vans, thankfully few, that rely entirely on a site in as much as they have no gas and need an electric hook up. Most vans are made in a way to enable you to park up with anywhere and enjoy all aspects of the van without a site.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
OK I'm a complete newbie, but I'm thinking....what if some nutters turn up at the door? Has anyone WC had any grief of sorts, other than "you shouldn't be parked here" and do I need a big bat?? I'm thinking I would always be worried who was out there!! Or am I thinking of problems that don't really exist? Thanks

Ady

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
OK I'm a complete newbie, but I'm thinking....what if some nutters turn up at the door? Has anyone WC had any grief of sorts, other than "you shouldn't be parked here" and do I need a big bat?? I'm thinking I would always be worried who was out there!! Or am I thinking of problems that don't really exist? Thanks

Ady

Might I suggest you have a read of the guide... it might have answers to your concerns.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Yes JJ you're right, I should have read the article first (I am that guy who reads the instructions AFTER I try assembling anything)!! Very informative, Thanks for the push!!

Do I still need a big bat?? lol

Ady

Reactions: JJ

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I have lost count of the amount of people that have told me you cannot wild camp with a big van. 90% of my camping is wild and I have wild camped with everything from a VW to an American fifth wheel in just about every country in Europe as well as North West Africa. As I was born lucky I have never been robbed or gassed apart from the odd times @JJ wants to buy my treasured possessions for next to nothing :).
kays favourites 036.jpg
Morocco 128.jpg
Morocco 144.jpg
On the road again 001.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Yes JJ you're right, I should have read the article first (I am that guy who reads the instructions AFTER I try assembling anything)!! Very informative, Thanks for the push!!

Do I still need a big bat?? lol

Ady

Apart from being gassed in your van. Have a search on Google for reports of people attacked in a motorhome. I never ever seen any reported events.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
The biggest problem I have encountered, that seems to be increasing, is that 'doggers' are taking over a lot of the safe places ... and they don't give a damn how uncomfortable they make you feel as they peer into your mh. :(

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The biggest problem I have encountered, that seems to be increasing, is that 'doggers' are taking over a lot of the safe places ... and they don't give a damn how uncomfortable they make you feel as they peer into your mh. :(

Stop flashing your headlights at them and they'll ignore you (y):D2

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
but I'm thinking....what if some nutters turn up at the door?

Why do you think that's more likely to happen in a remote wild spot than it is in a big company stalag?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back