WildAx - New Owners (1 Viewer)

Jun 26, 2012
Claypole, Near Newark
Funster No
MH
WildAx Elara
Exp
Well after only 18 months of ownership of our old MoHo Dethleffs Trend Eurostyle. We secured a deal on the WildAx Elara Mercedes PCV. Some might say it's not a MoHo but we know different IMO. The difference is like Night and Day and much more comfortable than people would believe. It's all a compromise and we are convinced it will work for us.

Just need this Covid nonsense put to bed and we can get on with our lives again

Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
Enjoy your new van, how exciting. Like others we have had a few issues with electrics, something to watch.

We downsized to a Wildax Europa based on a Renault Master from a 7 metre Burstner 680, which was a lovely van, but had to be plated at 3850 to get any payload and OH didn't particularly want hassle of reapplying for C1, plus our Burstner was one of the batch hit with EGR problems and that took the shine off it. We only had that for about 18 months as well and it was off the road for 6.
I had to rethink what we carry, but there were things that came out of the Burstner that had not been used so I still find there is enough storage in the Europa for the stuff we do need and use. We have made a few tweaks to the original spec, it is less space, but enough, and we have 2 sofas for lounging when the weather is less than pleasant, and we have a huge bed, at least as big as our king size at home. Biggest compromise for me is the small fridge.
I keep thinking that I ought to post some pictures of our changes, but we keep thinking up another one. I don't think there can be many more now though.

Kniste

Free Member
May 7, 2017
Hastings
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1980
I looked at the WildAX Elara at the NEC in 2019, I also had a chat with Duncan. I was given second thoughts by a number of points.
1) I wished to have Lithium ion batteries. Duncan said he would not supply this from works and referred me to another company. I like one-stop shopping and was not too happy about taking my brand new van to have bits added elsewhere. Hymer will add the bits and therefore take full responsibility.
2) the space around the island bed was creative in the brochure.
3) The passenger seat when rotated required extremely long legs to rest on the floor. hence uncomfortable.
4) the grey water tank is underslung and although heated the valve was at the end of a long pipe. Under cold conditions, the pipe would freeze and you would have to wait till spring to use the sink.
5) I was persuaded to wait for the next version, the current van is built on the rear wheel drive Mercedes not the front wheel drive version.

OP
OP
Archie H
Jun 26, 2012
Claypole, Near Newark
Funster No
MH
WildAx Elara
Exp
Enjoy your new van, how exciting. Like others we have had a few issues with electrics, something to watch.

We downsized to a Wildax Europa based on a Renault Master from a 7 metre Burstner 680, which was a lovely van, but had to be plated at 3850 to get any payload and OH didn't particularly want hassle of reapplying for C1, plus our Burstner was one of the batch hit with EGR problems and that took the shine off it. We only had that for about 18 months as well and it was off the road for 6.
I had to rethink what we carry, but there were things that came out of the Burstner that had not been used so I still find there is enough storage in the Europa for the stuff we do need and use. We have made a few tweaks to the original spec, it is less space, but enough, and we have 2 sofas for lounging when the weather is less than pleasant, and we have a huge bed, at least as big as our king size at home. Biggest compromise for me is the small fridge.
I keep thinking that I ought to post some pictures of our changes, but we keep thinking up another one. I don't think there can be many more now though.
Devon Sue, thank you for your kind comments. I would have had the same issue over C1 licence requirements in 2 years. We also uplateted to 3850 kg for the Dethleffs. I'm also sure there will be a few wee mods that will be carried out in the course of use. We will also rethink what we carry in an effort to lighten, that said I will add a towbar and mKe use of my small motorcycle trailer. All said and done its another new challenge. Cheers.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Archie H
Jun 26, 2012
Claypole, Near Newark
Funster No
MH
WildAx Elara
Exp
I looked at the WildAX Elara at the NEC in 2019, I also had a chat with Duncan. I was given second thoughts by a number of points.
1) I wished to have Lithium ion batteries. Duncan said he would not supply this from works and referred me to another company. I like one-stop shopping and was not too happy about taking my brand new van to have bits added elsewhere. Hymer will add the bits and therefore take full responsibility.
2) the space around the island bed was creative in the brochure.
3) The passenger seat when rotated required extremely long legs to rest on the floor. hence uncomfortable.
4) the grey water tank is underslung and although heated the valve was at the end of a long pipe. Under cold conditions, the pipe would freeze and you would have to wait till spring to use the sink.
5) I was persuaded to wait for the next version, the current van is built on the rear wheel drive Mercedes not the front wheel drive version.
Knistie, thanks for your insight. The points you raise are certainly valid and are noted. However, for me rear wheel drive has always been my preferred choice but each to their own. The bed area is a compromise that we will learn to live with as we have done in the past. Our first moho was a Hymer on a Transit chassis with a horizontal bed. Loved it but the OH hated being stuck at the back. Im not looking at with rise tinted specs, I realise there will be issues and if waste pipework is all there is to be concerned over I think I have enough knowledge to find a fix and overcome the challenge presented. I like your point about the passenger seat as we are average height but fear not a solution is in hand having made me more aware of it. Thanks again fir your thoughts which are appreciated. Cheers.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock

Was reading your post and noticed you mentioned the small fridge, we wanted to go way for two weeks and be totally self sufficient so we invested in a small box freezer https://www.dometic.com/en-gb/uk/pr...ometic-coolfun-ck-40d-hybrid-_-64127#features
this worked well it means the two of us can go away for two weeks and do need to buy food. Just one point about the small freezers check their star rating. You need to put pre frozen food in as they are only rated at 3 star our Hymer. Car is 5.4 metres Lind so fairly compact but there was space in the garage for it.

Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
Coolcats we have done something similar as we bought an electric cooler earlier this year, that we put in the pop up screenhouse and plug into the external socket, it gives us some extra cooling if we need it. The cooler will also fit between the cab seats, but is a bit noisy so we prefer to put it outside

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back