Wild (or maybe not so wild) Camping in Spain (in Covid times) (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
This morning, our decision was to go out for a bike ride and then, on our return have a cookfest with the freezer contents. We turned the van around so the fridge was in shade and when we returned we turned it round again. I went to see if Martin could have a cool beer, and and beers were colder than they were yesterday, now ... my quote from the MT, I wasn't typing it all again 😂😂

We've been riding and on our return the fridge was still colder than yesterday. We did turn the van around so it was shaded whilst we we're out and now it's back the other way to be back in the shade. The freezer contents were still frozen, so we're keeping fingers crossed that all is good in there. The gennie has just been fired up at exactly the same time as a clap of thunder. We only have one neighbour, a guy from Valencia with his dog in a caravan and we've explained about using the gennie and he's more than OK with us running it.

We've just had a very interesting conversation with a guy (and his mate) pruning the grape vines next to us. Asmyoundo, we thought they were just workers, but the "guy" is Catalan but his mother lives near here so he's moved down here to take over some grape vine fields?? The mate is being taught the viniculture ropes. The guy speaks Catalan, Spanish (his words, normally Catalans say Castellano!), French (he learnt viniculture in Bordeux) Italian and very good English. Our conversation turned to English cos our Spanish viniculture language is limited. To his surprise his "mate" speaks very good English also. He stood by listening, but when we encouraged him to join in did, with good English. He did three Erasmus years. Germany, Croatia and somewhere else, we can't remember, but where they all spoke English. I asked if we could buy some of the wine but he was apologetic and said he hadn't started bottling last years yet. When he then said they started from €14 upwards for one bottle, I was quite glad he couldn't sell us some 😄. He's a wine grower, but also an enthusiast, especially keeping the old Spanish grapes going. He was interested in the chemistry, biology and science of wine making and was great to listen to.

Gennie is now purring next to us, thunder is clapping and we're getting ready for another storm.

The bike ride was great, once we bagged the Wikiloc route and did our own thing. Wikiloc left us at the end of a windfarm track and into the tundra! We retraced our route and found a lovely descent on a signed bike route that eventually brought us out only metres from La Yesa village.

DSCN8371.JPG
DSCN8372.JPG
DSCN8374.JPG
DSCN8379.JPG
DSCN8382.JPG
DSCN8377.JPG
DSCN8375.JPG
DSCN8391.JPG

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
So, for the moment, wild camping is on hold. We need leccy for our fridge. My thread title is now a bit of a lie, sorry 😄.

We've failed to get the fridge working. The guy arrived at the Dinopolis parking early, but the parts he needed wouldn't be available until next week, sometime. We've decided to head back towards home, and to our local guy, Roberto. The places with leccy in the interior are few, and far, between.

We're ensconced on Valencia Camper Park (with leccy) and we've eaten a portion each of the prawns, with a smoked salmon salad (the salmon also needed using). I hope I'm fit to post tomorrow 🤞.

I've found a place that's more for us, a bit further south and nearer the coast, with a via Verde! But still with the much needed leccy. Hopefully tomorrow we'll take ourselves there for at least three nights. We've sent a message asking for availability. Just had a response, we're in!!! Maybe some sea view photos to come 🙄.

Our "pitch" and our lunch ... fish/seafood salad overkill. (With two thirds of the cooked prawns now freezing). We restricted ourselves to a snall portion, jic!

(The drive over today to Teruel, no piccies, was lovely and recommended).

IMG_20210609_140954.jpg
IMG_20210609_145717.jpg
IMG_20210609_145731.jpg

Wine and beer stocks are running low, we need a stock up tomorrow 👍

Last edited:
OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We've fallen lucky (well I DID do my research 👍)

IMG_20210610_122250.jpg
IMG_20210610_122326.jpg
IMG_20210610_122410.jpg
IMG_20210610_125205.jpg

We're now on a tiny garden camperstop. We have hens that Martin has, unfortunately, just encouraged, feeding them ALDI's version of Pringles out of his hand!

We have a Via Verde running right outside and I found a bike route that goes up some of the surrounding hills for tomorrow. The Via Verde to the coast on Saturday (or vice versa).

The owner is Croatian, and very accommodating.

We're staying here until Sunday at least. You don't drive in and out on the narrow track for one night 🤔. That's the only downside to the place that we've found so far. No problem for us but the access is limited to motorhomes under 7.5 metres. The cost, with leccy, is either €8 or €10 (depending on which review you read 😀). Either way it's worth it to stay out in the van until we hear about our fridge repair.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
And to top it all off, we've just had a cuppa and an (ALDI only, not a patch on the ones from Lisbon, but needs must) Pastel de Nata.

Reactions: Les

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
And to top it all off, we've just had a cuppa and an (ALDI only, not a patch on the ones from Lisbon, but needs must) Pastel de Nata.
I need to see photographic proof of the crumbs at least ... so that I can hate you even more! :giggle:

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We're off our exploring in the hills on the bikes today. We're pleasantly surprised with this area, such a beautiful valley running down to the sea. We'll be going that way tomorrow, and checking out a coastal motorhome parking (La Finca). Anyone been there?

We've had a couple of conversations with the Croatian owner here. What a nice guy. He's a motorhomer and he built this place to what he likes to stay in himself. Hence only 8 places, and not regimented. Going to buy some eggs and honey from him later.

The only others here atm are a young German couple with two small kids. They're interesting as well. They've taken some time out to visit the places where the woman worked and learnt Spanish as a girl (they're still only early thirties).

We all stood round yesterday evening, socially distanced and spoke in English in a garden in Spain.

I went outside the gate to take a view photos along the via Verde. It looks promising to a good day out today 🤞🤞. Wikiloc is being called on, yet again.

A warning again about the access. The track in ...

DSCN8398.JPG

And the view through the gate.

DSCN8406.JPG

DSCN8407.JPG

DSCN8404.JPG

DSCN8402.JPG

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Your on our pitch. :rofl:

It's a nice ride up in the mountains, and good walking but too hot when we was there, but told Edin next visit when its cooler we will go there with the car, but nice cycling up there, did it both ways and its easier from left to right, but the cafe is then at the start, enjoy your stay a lovely couple send our regards. 😎 Bob.

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Your on our pitch. :rofl:

It's a nice ride up in the mountains, and good walking but too hot when we was there, but told Edin next visit when its cooler we will go there with the car, but nice cycling up there, did it both ways and its easier from left to right, but the cafe is then at the start, enjoy your stay a lovely couple send our regards. 😎 Bob.

Haha we even asked you where it was, but couldn't cross the borders at the time so it went off the radar.

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We went on a Wikiloc bike ride. It was a bit old so we expected some of it to go "pear shaped". We did an overgrown single track that stopped (us) at a private sign. We backtracked onto the main road, around a roundabout, and started the uphill!!

So glad to have ebikes. Some of the climb would be brutal without (even in our younger days). It was a lovely ride through the mountains though and past the Casa Forestal with steps to nowhere. We were too early at the bar so carried on. Our Wikiloc then took us off the main "road" through some strange areas, with a big dog (I was off and I left Martin to face it alone), another bit of the route that isn't recommended now! Anyway, we eventually got back on some proper tracks and had a good ride back, using the via Verde instead of the tracks on the route.

Chillin' now. Tomorrow we're tackling the coast!

DSCN8420.JPG
DSCN8412.JPG
DSCN8424.JPG
DSCN8425.JPG
DSCN8432.JPG
DSCN8434.JPG

Oh for a beer from a bar in the shade here 👍 maybe in time ...

Last edited:
OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We used a Wikiloc route to get us from here to the coast (and back again) ignoring the bit in "their" middle that went on our yesterday's route.

On our return we came across a campervan in the last stage of turning around on the via verde, trying to get here. She had just made most of the turn so we gave her thumbs up and expected to see her arriving at the parking just as we did. No show!! The owner was looking out for her, so Martin rode out to the road to look for her and I went back down the via Verde to see if she was stuck somewhere there. Between us, we saw nowt! But she's eventually arrived (10 minutes later) and is quietly pitched on the second best place. It's a mystery where she'd been, in between 🤔🤔

Last night, about 9.45 pm arrived a French camper. They'd left by 10.00 pm. A bit of curtain twitching by us didn't give us the story (we got it today though 😄).

They wanted to use the emptying/filling services free. They were then going to a restaurant for dinner (yeh, French regularly eat after 10 pm, don't they??) and they'd then come back for the night.

1. The gates are closed for other campers at 10.30 pm and

2. "Didn't believe they'd return"

The owner here said "pay the €3 for the services now. Leave for the restaurant and when you come back 😂😂 pay the €7 night fee". Not acceptable, so they left.

No words...

Anyway, on a better note, photos from today.

DSCN8436.JPG
DSCN8439.JPG
DSCN8440.JPG
DSCN8443.JPG
DSCN8446.JPG
DSCN8449.JPG
DSCN8450~2.JPG

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Tonight, is our last night here 🙁. We have mixed feelings. This place arrived in our hour of need and has done us proud. The owner is more than welcoming and friendly.

After yesterday's ride we were relaxing under the shade, being entertained by the avian crowd, when one, now named Gekko and Hide, caught a gekko in its beak. The others gave chase ... we didn't watch, but they all eventually emerged from under our motorhome, wiping their beaks. This particular bird, seems to have taken to Martin, and lies next to him often 😄. Maybe food has something to do with the adoration.

But ...

Gekko, next to Martin!
IMG_20210613_135457.jpg

We have purchased some eggs from here, maybe Gekko is watching over her offspring 😂

IMG_20210613_113843.jpg

Baby Gekko top of the piccie??
IMG_20210613_134255.jpg

Anyway, this morning I've washed our cycling gear (and other bits) after a short ride from here. Tomorrow, we hope to get the fridge fixed in Castellon and normal travels will, hopefully, resume.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Tonight, is our last night here 🙁. We have mixed feelings. This place arrived in our hour of need and has done us proud. The owner is more than welcoming and friendly.

After yesterday's ride we were relaxing under the shade, being entertained by the avian crowd, when one, now named Gekko and Hide, caught a gekko in its beak. The others gave chase ... we didn't watch, but they all eventually emerged from under our motorhome, wiping their beaks. This particular bird, seems to have taken to Martin, and lies next to him often 😄. Maybe food has something to do with the adoration.

But ...

Gekko, next to Martin!
View attachment 506381

We have purchased some eggs from here, maybe Gekko is watching over her offspring 😂

View attachment 506383

Baby Gekko top of the piccie??
View attachment 506382

Anyway, this morning I've washed our cycling gear (and other bits) after a short ride from here. Tomorrow, we hope to get the fridge fixed in Castellon and normal travels will, hopefully, resume.
If no luck in Castelon there is a repairer in Benicasim..Have seen him come on the site to carry out repairs.BUSBY.

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
If no luck in Castelon there is a repairer in Benicasim..Have seen him come on the site to carry out repairs.BUSBY.

Thanks. We've had a bit of a runaround. First heading up to Teruel to see a guy who then said he couldn't get the parts for a week or so. We'd decided (because of the extreme heat) to head back home, get it sorted and go out again. By chance I found this place, en route, with leccy, and biking, so its done us proud.

A chance comment on a FUN thread about inflatable canoes, has thrown this Castellon guy into the mix. He seems to think he can fix it. If not, it's an about turn and definitely going home.

We want it all sorted for the 20th July to go to Galicia (my 2nd jab is 19th! Martin is all done)!

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
If you're referring to La Finca at Tavernes, we've stayed there. It's quite a big aire, owned and run by a German woman, who is quite fierce. There are reasonable facilities, washing machines, showers and toilets and it's literally two minutes and you're on a lovely beach. The sea is lovely for swimming in there and the beach and the sea are the best bits. The town is a bit weird to be honest. It's mainly made up of holiday apartments and we found it a bit bleak. There's a shop close to the aire, which is adequate. We've only tried one bar, which is right at the other end of Tavernes.

If this isn't the aire to which you refer, move on, nothing to see here. :LOL:

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
If you're referring to La Finca at Tavernes, we've stayed there. It's quite a big aire, owned and run by a German woman, who is quite fierce. There are reasonable facilities, washing machines, showers and toilets and it's literally two minutes and you're on a lovely beach. The sea is lovely for swimming in there and the beach and the sea are the best bits. The town is a bit weird to be honest. It's mainly made up of holiday apartments and we found it a bit bleak. There's a shop close to the aire, which is adequate. We've only tried one bar, which is right at the other end of Tavernes.

If this isn't the aire to which you refer, move on, nothing to see here. :LOL:

I think that could have been the one I'd seen signed, but it doesn't seem it's for us.

Thanks 👍

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Yesterday we left the area for the last four nights to meet a guy in a parking area in Castellon who was confident he could repair the fridge. We arrived early and Martin contacted the guy to say we were there early, and he also arrived early. The fridge was repaired in about 10 minutes and for a "few" euros. This then gave us the opportunity to drive into the Maestrat area of Valencia. We found a shady spot thanks to P4N next to an Ermita where we spent the night. Quiet, except for a 20 minute, very noisy and bright lights, storm, sometime in the night.)

DSCN8468.JPG
DSCN8472.JPG
DSCN8474.JPG

Dish up looking for football. Eventually, half watched, on Spanish terrestrial TV.
IMG_20210614_203524.jpg

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We're now parked near the village of Villafranca del Cid. We first (and last) visited this area at Easter 2000 and our first visit to the Spanish Orienteering Championships and our very first taste of Spanish Easter celebrations. We had booked onto the campsite here (closed atm) thinking it was for the competition, but many youngsters had descended for their Easter botellon. We had a sleepless night and had to run the next day. Hope tonight is quieter 🤞.

Anyhow ... we've had a good ride. Very easy on tracks and minor roads. Through old and new. Windfarms and newly repaired field walls and shelters. Old bridges, and newer bridges. Cherry trees with the fruit just out of reach 🙁, a viewpoint over the Vulture feeding station (the bleached bones look like it hasn't been used for a while and numerous small villages.

So much to see, but can't do it all at once 😥.

A selection of photos from today's ride. A lot of it can be done by motorhome with many, many places to park. Near the Vulture feeding area, especially 👍

DSCN8483.JPG
DSCN8487.JPG
DSCN8488.JPG
DSCN8493.JPG
DSCN8501.JPG
DSCN8485.JPG
DSCN8503.JPG
DSCN8509.JPG
DSCN8496.JPG
DSCN8544.JPG
DSCN8525.JPG
DSCN8529.JPG
DSCN8523.JPG
DSCN8530.JPG
DSCN8556.JPG
IMG_20210615_154414.jpg

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
This morning we drove about 18km and into a different world. At first it seemed like the Spain was been in for the last few days, the village above which we parked at the municipal carwash (we need space to offload our bikes) looked normal, but as we progressed on our bike ride we felt as though we'd been transported back to Yorkshire. The warm sun and lack of mud soon reminded us where we were.

So, we parked above Cantavieja (they have a motorhome filling and empty service point, but little parking). The view from the carwash.

DSCN8558.JPG

We then rode through the village and about 5km downhill on the smooth tarmac road. A right turn, still on tarmac, took us another 4km or so and then we turned right again onto a track, which led us on a track system for approximately the next 15km.

Cows and hayfields.
DSCN8564.JPG

An old, abandoned farm, once spectacular with its tower.
DSCN8568.JPG

and then the stonewall, open moor area.
DSCN8580.JPG

DSCN8582.JPG

DSCN8589.JPG

Loads more photos, but the internet isn't good enough to post them all.

We're now west of Cantavieja at a small village, Fontanete, where there's a parking area, with water, but no other facilities. We're expecting bad weather during the next few days 😰

DSCN8601.JPG

May 26, 2020
Funster No
MH
On the lookout
Exp
On and off since 2006
Some lovely photos and a great read(y)

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We're back home for a short while, for various reasons.

1. It was forecast to be wet for 4 or 5 days, and the day we left was horrendous, but as we headed south ...

2. We were back to high temperatures, which are so much easier to manage in the cool apartment.

3. We had some things to catch up on. Bikes to sell (done) and a canoe to buy (arrives tomorrow 🤞🤞🤞).

4. Friends to see before they, and we, head off for a summer trip.

We'll definitely be going back, sometime in the near future, to inland Valencia, there's still so much for us to explore. There may, however be another short trip before we leave for the summer. Where? Dont know yet.

Keep watching this space ....

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Loved reading your posts today. We know the area you live quite well having lived at Los Alcazares ourselves back in 2010 for a short while before returning to the UK In 2012. We’ve camped up at El Berro before & frequented the surrounding NP’s & love it. We were lucky to get 3.5 weeks at the end of the Camino on the coast with no rain in September/October 2018! Reminded us of what we are missing 😜 enjoy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back