LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
they then told me that their preferred places to stop are sea-fronts in fairly large towns so that the children can find something to do, or adjacent to the large theme parks etc, as they don't like being too far away from , as he put it "civilisation"
Sounds like Motorhome life is not really for them.

For us the Motorhome is a great way to escape civilisation a nice wild spot up in the mountains or by a remote river when we can find them.

We also do a lot of "off grid" camping as opposed to wild i.e. Aires & official stops without or with minimal services for us anything is better than a camp site.

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I went on to explain to him that it is exactly that sort of behaviour is why we are being banned from seafronts and town carparks etc, and that wild camping is just that, being discreet, responsible, and thoughtful.
Not sure how that went down, but they have now gone away somewhere,
Thanks, All
Joe
Did you also advise him on how to do the cassette emptying etc or just give him the lecture?

Jul 24, 2015
Ramsgate Kent
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato c class
Exp
5 years
Thanks all,
It appears that most people agree with my thoughts plus one of mine is that after a day of travelling and exploring, that you find somewhere around where you have ended up at, not a planned spot at a pre-determined destination.
the reason for my asking was because i have recently had a long discussion with people who live near us and have brought a mid range MH, without much research it seems,
I was approached by the young man one evening and asked a few questions about using the MH, and then he asked what we do about waste, especially the cassette, power, electricity for their "Tech" etc as they were "planning a wild camping holiday because as they have a MH they do not see any point in paying for campsites ever, they then told me that their preferred places to stop are sea-fronts in fairly large towns so that the children can find something to do, or adjacent to the large theme parks etc, as they don't like being too far away from , as he put it "civilisation"
I went on to explain to him that it is exactly that sort of behaviour is why we are being banned from seafronts and town carparks etc, and that wild camping is just that, being discreet, responsible, and thoughtful.
Not sure how that went down, but they have now gone away somewhere,
Thanks, All
Joe
I agree , a planned holiday parked up on the seafront is exactly what is upsetting locals and councils..
Seen it around our way ,all the toys sprawling across the pavement or grass..grey waste left open..and cassette dumped anywhere.
It's a shame because this sort of behaviour is ruining it for motorhoners who just want to pull up in a local town with a sea view ,not necessarily sleep but relax .
This is what's wrecked it for us in Thanet, we can't even park in the beach carpark for the day..the carpark is huge ,never seen it fully packed.

Once this bloody virus is controlled were clearing off abroad,..

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
There should be a Motorcaravan test for a special "Wild Camping" licence. With it you are trusted to camp responsibly anywhere, without it, same punishment as driving without a driving licence - big fine. Leave a mess/stay too long - licence lost, and big fine.

I hate rules and regulations in general but I'm afraid we need them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
hey then told me that their preferred places to stop are sea-fronts in fairly large towns so that the children can find something to do, or adjacent to the large theme parks etc, as they don't like being too far away from , as he put it "civilisation"

We've done the same for years, some of our best 'wild camping' is is the middle of large cities. Why on earth would you put them off doing that. Ensure upon them they need to get in late, leave early, never stay in the same place two nights on the trot etc. But parking in and near seaside towns and theme parks and other attractions, is essential for us to get the return on our investment. For us it's what a van is for.

OP
OP
J
Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
2 words which seem to be the basis of this style of camping are "wild" and "overnight" which to me imply being well away from others and just for the one night, not setting up camp for days on end in an urban environment,
Thanks everyone, looks we are not alone in our thinking,
we use a mixture of full blown sites, CL's, pubs, Park 4 night, Britstops, and some discreet wild spots, and that works for us, and we are always prepared to pay for the privelidge of visiting some of the wonderful places around this country of ours.
Happy travels everyone
Joe & Sue

OP
OP
J
Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
We've done the same for years, some of our best 'wild camping' is is the middle of large cities. Why on earth would you put them off doing that. Ensure upon them they need to get in late, leave early, never stay in the same place two nights on the trot etc. But parking in and near seaside towns and theme parks and other attractions, is essential for us to get the return on our investment. For us it's what a van is for.
Hi Jim, could not agree more, but my point wast that they want to set up for days on end in a town / city without paying a penny,

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I do not agree with what the young couple want to do, but if they want to be near 'Things for the children to do' in towns and at the seaside, then even if they paid not many campsites fit that bill do they?

As somebody said maybe motorhoming is not the right way. Perhaps a caravan on a site and a car to visit where the kids want to go would be more appropriate, but not free.

Do theme parkas allow overnight stays for customers?

Geoff

Jan 1, 2019
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B704 PL
Exp
Since 2017
I stay in a mixture of places and I consider myself an FLT. It’s about being considerate and leaving the area cleaner than you left it. Van is fully prepped for ‘off grid’ with 2x cassettes.
Live and let live I say.
That said, I headed for home firstthing this morning in Pembrokeshire as it is absolutely manic here today.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Car parks or lay-byes are not my idea of fun places to camp.

I agree with you about laybys if next to the road, but some are OK, e.g laybys which are part of a wide bend on an old road where the new straightened road is about 100m away, often with landscaped area between the two, and maybe picnic table and a sandwich bar for a bacon sarnie in the morning.

Likewise some CPs, e.g there is one near the Hot Air Balloon roundabout on the edge of the Cotswolds looking out to Gloucester - used to have a height barrier, but somebody had 'seen to' that - may have been replaced. There are many others. Even stayed on one in Bridgnorth behind the library, very quiet and convenient for the town. Lots of nice ones in some pretty French villages.

Geoff

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
I agree with you about laybys if next to the road, but some are OK, e.g laybys which are part of a wide bend on an old road where the new straightened road is about 100m away, often with landscaped area between the two, and maybe picnic table and a sandwich bar for a bacon sarnie in the morning.

Likewise some CPs, e.g there is one near the Hot Air Balloon roundabout on the edge of the Cotswolds looking out to Gloucester - used to have a height barrier, but somebody had 'seen to' that - may have been replaced. There are many others. Even stayed on one in Bridgnorth behind the library, very quiet and convenient for the town. Lots of nice ones in some pretty French villages.

Geoff
Sorry you are not doing a good job selling it to me anyhow. Parked behind a burger truck with the waft of onions hmmm.

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
Car parks or lay-byes are not my idea of fun places to camp.

Geoff

Sorry you are not doing a good job selling it to me anyhow. Parked behind a burger truck with the waft of onions hmmm.

LOL aye, I do agree about the burger van :LOL: BUT sometimes the use of a layby or carpark is literally just about the practical stop, ie using it as a practical stop to get some kip in your longer journey? I've a 570 mile journey to look forward to next week which will involve either the use of a wild spot / layby / pub stop.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
In the USA wild camping is an area called BLM. Bureaux of land management. you’re allowed to park and stay, no facilities, but often in beautiful areas. People are expected to respect the environment and mostly do. We used them many times over on our last trip and met some really nice people. Every few days used a regular campsite to take on dump off etc. I wish we had the same system in GB.
I have attached 3CACD44B-CC81-4C44-ACE9-A53AAB7C77CF.jpegD74B0E93-B574-4A82-8EF6-14BB011879FE.jpeg
3CACD44B-CC81-4C44-ACE9-A53AAB7C77CF.jpeg
D74B0E93-B574-4A82-8EF6-14BB011879FE.jpeg
A couple of photos of BLM stopovers.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Fundamental difference is that 'they' have loads of space... we don't.
It's a blunt but significant statistic;
USA 36 per Km2
England is by far more densely populated at 432 people per square kilometre.

Plus I don't believe the US has the fear of roving itinerants, who seem to be beyond the law, which makes councils & communities fearful of providing any facilities.
Broken Link Removed

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
While I know exactly what the true meaning of wild camping is, I have learnt to accept that it’s use as a description for free parking with sleeping etc is understandable.
We do it lots but avoid saying it as it seems to bring out the keyboard warriors
Like this 👻
3C9DA2C5-9C7D-4C7E-80CC-1F3B500D9B45.jpeg

Jul 9, 2017
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Fundamental difference is that 'they' have loads of space... we don't.
It's a blunt but significant statistic;
USA 36 per Km2
England is by far more densely populated at 432 people per square kilometre.
Lets not forget Scotland as i know you English often do Scotland has a population density of 67.2/km2 (174/sq mi).(y)

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Lets not forget Scotland as i know you English often do Scotland has a population density of 67.2/km2 (174/sq mi).(y)
Still nearly twice the density but also different regulatory authority.
AFAIK, their forestry are trying to allow organised wild camping (if that's not an oxymoron)

Slightly OT... I don't recall ever seeing reports of p1keys trashing private land/parks...
Does it happen?

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
I stay in a mixture of places and I consider myself an FLT. It’s about being considerate and leaving the area cleaner than you left it. Van is fully prepped for ‘off grid’ with 2x cassettes.
Live and let live I say.
That said, I headed for home firstthing this morning in Pembrokeshire as it is absolutely manic here today.
You’ll find being back in Pembrokeshire is manic too ☹️

Phileas Fogg

Free Member
Apr 27, 2014
west of the tamar
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
If anyone can be bothered to log on to Cornwall Live and register to comment their is a whole argument with the locals going on about wild camping and what it means. If you want to comment I appreciate the support, I am just one little voice against a big megaphone.

OP
OP
J
Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
If anyone can be bothered to log on to Cornwall Live and register to comment their is a whole argument with the locals going on about wild camping and what it means. If you want to comment I appreciate the support, I am just one little voice against a big megaphone.
Can you provide a link please, but if the locals are objecting to the behaviour described in my OP then i can see their point

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.