Wild camping ??? (1 Viewer)

Aug 21, 2008
skegness
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
We tend to wild camp/free park in england as most of the ccs cls are away from the seafront and caravan sites are to expensive and to busy,we prefer seafront walking with the dog so we park in carparks in the day and drive out to laybys for the evening never had any problems we also like the c&cc clubs holiday sites they're usually in good locations
and cheap Alan:Smile:

TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
Thought I might resurrect this one.

Do I understand it correctly - lay-byes and suchlike are generally controlled by local authorities and as such, in order to move people on, some kind of enforcement order would be needed (assuming there's no breach of road traffic or public order legislation in which case the cops may be interested).

If that is the way it is, surely no enforcement officer is going to turn up to shift you from an overnight stop on a public space, particularly if you're behaving yourself.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Thought I might resurrect this one.

Do I understand it correctly - lay-byes and suchlike are generally controlled by local authorities and as such, in order to move people on, some kind of enforcement order would be needed (assuming there's no breach of road traffic or public order legislation in which case the cops may be interested).

If that is the way it is, surely no enforcement officer is going to turn up to shift you from an overnight stop on a public space, particularly if you're behaving yourself.

As I mentioned previously, in the absence of any specific legislation to the contrary there is no bar to anyone spending the night in a vehicle by the roadside. See Here for information from the DfT regarding national legislation.

As you say, though, in some areas local authorities and/or the police have brought in Traffic Regulation Orders to restrict what is allowed (especially sleeping/cooking in a vehicle). How breaches of such an orders are enforced will often depend on the resources available to the authority involved (basically whether they can afford an evening/night shift).

If enforcement is practised then it may be that someone is told to move on but it might alternatively mean that a fine is imposed (or both). The use of ANPR cameras to identify offenders is pretty cheap compared to wage costs.

Another possibility is that an authority which receives persistent complaints from the public about motorhomes breaching a restriction might impose a 24 hour ban on motorhomes. I know that has happened in car parks in at least one area.

Graham

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
We have not parked overnight in a lay-by so have no direct comments, But on the way down to Dover there are hundereds of artic,s parked in lay-bys waiting to go into the docks no body moving them on. Pete:thumb:

smifee

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
chandler's ford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
i 'wildcamp' because i don't like campsites. most leave the grass cuttings to be trodden into the van and put me on grass, which when it's wet, my last 2 vans haven't been good on. i don't need hookup and i use the van toilet, shower & sink so what do i need a campsite for?

when 'wildcamping' i usually avoid large towns & cities. i like to stop up in the hills of france, italy & portugal. in these rural areas communal water supplies are common and some places have no mains services to the houses.

it's great to be able to throw the door open in the morning & let the dog out to wander. by the time she comes back i've got a cup of coffee and sit back outside to watch the world go by. but it doesn't until a couple of the locals pass by going to work.

it's all a question of common sense in picking a spot where you won't be bothering anyone. in 5 years of avoiding campsites i have never had the dreaded "what are you doing here?"

a bonus is the money saved in site fees. this means i can go for longer than if i stayed on sites.

recently had a week in the lake district and had no problems wildcamping. it was an area i had avoided because of a perception of it being overcrowded. maybe it is at the touristy spots but i avoided those. only came home because the dog went lame on the coast to coast walk. hope to go back in october.

A

Autocruisepace

Deleted User
We tend to wild camp/free park in england as most of the ccs cls are away from the seafront and caravan sites are to expensive and to busy,we prefer seafront walking with the dog so we park in carparks in the day and drive out to laybys for the evening never had any problems we also like the c&cc clubs holiday sites they're usually in good locations
and cheap Alan:Smile:

I agree whole heartedly with Alan. Been a motor homer for 1 year and 4 days now, have always stayed on sites miles from anywhere incredibly boring. Maybe instead of wild camp we should call it Off Site Camping. Did my first one at the weekend on the sea wall at Borth in Wales. I arrived late and all the sites were closed so had no choice. I woke up just a few yards from the beach and heard the waves crashing all night absolutely fab.

Does anyone know any more sea wall locations in Wales or any other part of the UK come to that. ?

Gill :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back