Wild camping ??? (1 Viewer)

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
Not sure were I am on this subject not having done it yet.....but..............

Do people go wild cos they like the tranquility and peace of being on there own or........................are they just to tight to pay 15-25 quid for a site. ::bigsmile:

Can maybe see the point of a nice secluded and quiet place off the beaten track like around Hadrians wall or on a Devon beach or summat for 1 night, but I have seen vans parked on the roadside at Bowness etc. Surely if you can afford a MH you can afford a site.............or am I missing summat ????

Personally I wont rule out the odd wild camp if the place is right but I like being on a site were you can watch other folk make a mess of putting there awning up or campers been blown away in a gale etc (ps- yep done both of them and more) ::bigsmile:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
IMO people confuse wild camping with wild parking? There is nothing "wild" about parking up in city centre coach parks or the back streets of urban areas. :RollEyes: Those that wild park are probably only doing it to save money, there might be an element of that with wild camping, but I would pay to wild camp at some of the wild places that we have stayed over the years. ::bigsmile:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, i dont use sites because of the price,dont need what they offer ,sometimes have a problem with the mentality of some of the people on sites.once full of water n gas i can be free to go as i please for up to 2/3 weeks. never find getting water a problem or getting rid of waste. if the sun is shining can have loads of leccy as well. i say if you pay 15/20 quid a night may as well use a b/b or hotel.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
I started off thinking I wasn't qualified to answer this as I do not have a motorhome yet..... but maybe that makes me the best person to answer it !!!

I recently came back from a holiday where we spent half the day looking for that nights B&B and the other half looking for a loo for the wife ( she was ill but its always a bit like that :Smile:) The idea of a motorhome has a strong appeal for us, always a loo handy, stop when you like and where you like ( within reason ) and it never occured to us that motorhomers would use caravan sites.... seems to defeat the object of a M/H somehow.

As for being tight..... yes, but what is the point of paying for a campsite ? do snails live inside ?

But thats just my way of thinking :roflmto:

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
All very good points..... I agree with the "wild parking" think that was my point re-"if the place is right" ie. hadrians wall or suchlike. Agree also with the self sufficientcy of motorhomes, we dont need hook up or showers etc so could (and may do) a week without a site but I think it would depend on were you were, up in the wilds of Scotland is a different matter to a lay by in the Lakes. When we were in Bowness on Windermere every weekend every week there would be 2 or more MH parked on the roadside having there tea with hords of people walking past on the path, never really got the point. £20 + a night does get costly though so we have just had our first night on a CC certificated site at £10 per night. Was very enjoyable cos there was 3 other vans on, would not have been as good if we had been on our own. Incidentally Mrs ips has her own C&CC cerificated site at £5 per night, beggar all in way of ammenities just Toilet disposal and water tap, loverly quiet location but only 50yds from home so we dont use it ourselves :ROFLMAO:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i treat it like a big game ,the less you pay the longer you can stay away. horses for courses .i used to do to lots of shows in uk now realise if i dont go i,m much better off for going away in winter. did use one site in maroc last winter only because it suited us. same in spain /portugal lots of nice places to park/stay. only place i find difficult is luxembourg . just use a site there. in france use the aires never been moved on even in my truck. germany is easy in fact every where is almost. cant remember the last time i used a uk site. long time ago.

ginge61

Free Member
Oct 29, 2007
n/wales
Funster No
MH
c class/t25 vw
Exp
since noah was a lad lol
the idea is to stay and stop when and where you feel like parking restrictions allowing ,not to conform to rules and regs as most campsites have and i wouldnt pay 15-25 pound a night 10 pound is enuf 2 nights at 25 pound = a full tank of lpg = 200 miles travel and most camp sites only offer what you have in the van so why bother

TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
What a great question! We would always prefer 'wild' camping because it ties in with the whole idea of the motorhome for us - things to do with choosing exactly where we want to be and when we want to be there. Our van is a logical step, given the privations of age and a bit of a need for comfort, from carrying our home on our back (ie wild camping with the tent).

I was having a look at a thread earlier which discussed the legalities of roadside parking. I suppose if I was en route somewhere I may think of it, but the whole point of the van for me is freedom.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
How do I stand on this one, well I think my name says it all. we wildcamp and wild park, yes we have a motorhome but if we had to pay site fees we could not afford to stay away as much as we do. We enjoy being alone, without other peoples dogs barking or children screaming. We don't like booking as don't know when or even if we will get there. So we have complete freedom to go where and when we wish constrained only by parking limitations. It is I guess 60% being tight :Eeek::Eeek:and 40% pure choice. In 44 years of motorhoming we have never stayed on a pay campsite. The resultant saving pays for a lot of entry fees to castles, zoo, and other attractions.
We have wildparked in laybys, industrial estates and in residential areas all without problems so far.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that

Do people go wild cos they like the tranquility and peace of being on there own or........................are they just to tight to pay 15-25 quid for a site. ::bigsmile:

Can maybe see the point of a nice secluded and quiet place off the beaten track like around Hadrians wall or on a Devon beach or summat for 1 night, but I have seen vans parked on the roadside at Bowness etc. Surely if you can afford a MH you can afford a site.............or am I missing summat ????

Personally I wont rule out the odd wild camp if the place is right but I like being on a site were you can watch other folk make a mess of putting there awning up or campers been blown away in a gale etc (ps- yep done both of them and more) ::bigsmile:

Hi IPS, I wouldlike to ask you a couple of questions if you don't mind.

1/ Have you ever wildcamped?
2/ have you ever lived long time in your MH?
3/ Have you ever lived in your MH on the continent?
4/ Do you normaly just use your MH for weekends and holidays?

Doug...

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967

Doug...
Doug he states he has never wildcamped and has been motorhoming for one month.

let me ask you a question, do you read posts before replying to them??????????:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We wild camp for the peace and quiet. We sometimes wild park for the same reason, quite often it is more peaceful on a street than some sites. However we sometimes wild park if we are driving til late then on the road early next day as its not worth the hassle of checking in and out. Not to mention paying for facilities we don't use.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
Doug he states he has never wildcamped and has been motorhoming for one month.

let me ask you a question, do you read posts before replying to them??????????:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Yes, I read the first post then reply to that, I don't read every post, also there was nothing in his first post about the above.

Doug...

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
::bigsmile:The OP started with

Good question and some good responses::bigsmile:

Uups! missed that bit.

Doug...

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi doug .it wasnt what op said but in his profile bit been motorhoming 1 month.i make mistakes like that as well jump in feet first. never mind you meant well i,m sure.the questions you ask do change the ball play some what.

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp

Doug...

1-No
2-No
3-No
4-Yes

With respect, the fact that the answer to 3 of 4 of the above is the reason I ask the question. I am in no way putting wild camping down. Just seriously wondered the reasons for it. I have wild camped in the past, then had caravans for 10yrs or so then had a boat which we wild camped often, as in stayed at anchor rather than in marinas. Planning on going wild for at least a few nights in sept when we do a week Northumberland and east york coast.
May even go wild for a night in two weeks when were off to north Lakes, just to try it. West yorkshire this weekend, North yorkshire next weekend.
Regards - Ian

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
1-No
2-No
3-No
4-Yes

With respect, the fact that the answer to 3 of 4 of the above is the reason I ask the question. I am in no way putting wild camping down. Just seriously wondered the reasons for it. I have wild camped in the past, then had caravans for 10yrs or so then had a boat which we wild camped often, as in stayed at anchor rather than in marinas. Planning on going wild for at least a few nights in sept when we do a week Northumberland and east york coast.
May even go wild for a night in two weeks when were off to north Lakes, just to try it. West yorkshire this weekend, North yorkshire next weekend.
Regards - Ian

Wild camping in the UK is a totaly different thing than on the continent, if you get the chance go over to France and use some of the free camping aires, I'm not saying that that would be wild camping but just a taste of what the continent has to offer.

Doug...

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
We have wildparked in laybys, industrial estates and in residential areas all without problems so far.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

I am sorry but with the greatest respect I cant imagine the fun in sleeping all night at the back of some industrial estate, or a residential area.

I think that the earlier explanation of Wild camping / parking has confirmed the situation to me. And having read the replys with great interest I am all in favour, and see the point in Wild camping and will try it in two weeks but as for wild parking, nope not for me.
Regards - Ian

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Wild camping in the UK is a totaly different thing than on the continent, if you get the chance go over to France and use some of the free camping aires, I'm not saying that that would be wild camping but just a taste of what the continent has to offer.

Doug...

Would love to tour France particularily S of F however my Business will not allow me more than a weeks hols at any one time so mainly weekends for us at the moment. In fact I havent had a weeks holiday for nearly 2yrs and havent had a 2wk holiday for 28yrs..........Not that I am looking for sympathy you understand....::bigsmile:

californiadreamer

Free Member
Oct 10, 2008
Funster No
sometimes it's not a matter of choice...

I would love not to have to consider wild-camping in this motorhome-inhospitable country. However it does appear that, particularly at this time of year, if you wish to have a spontaneous night away in the motorhome there is virtually no chance of getting a pitch on a site. Unless, that is, you are lucky enough to find a cl/cs field in the middle of nowhere.

We don't require facilities - just solid ground or hard-standing, somewhere preferably where we can walk to pub/restaurant/shops. One would think in these 'difficult times' that local councils would ease restrictions on overnight use of empty car parks and not only have a new source of income, but encourage custom to their town/village/area. Sounds like another country doesn't it? It's a shame, but that 'other country' seems to be the only place where we are welcome to stay.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I would love not to have to consider wild-camping in this motorhome-inhospitable country. However it does appear that, particularly at this time of year, if you wish to have a spontaneous night away in the motorhome there is virtually no chance of getting a pitch on a site. Unless, that is, you are lucky enough to find a cl/cs field in the middle of nowhere.

We don't require facilities - just solid ground or hard-standing, somewhere preferably where we can walk to pub/restaurant/shops. One would think in these 'difficult times' that local councils would ease restrictions on overnight use of empty car parks and not only have a new source of income, but encourage custom to their town/village/area. Sounds like another country doesn't it? It's a shame, but that 'other country' seems to be the only place where we are welcome to stay.

The reasons for parking restrictions are many and varied and have been discussed in several threads on this and other forums.

Often enough the root cause is that councils do not appreciate the difference between responsible motorhome tourers (who would bring economic benefit) and freeloaders (who are just out for something for nothing and often cause anti-social problems in addition). That is not going to change, whatever the times, unless people actually provide councils with the information to encourage change.

If everyone who wants aire type facilities in this country was prepared to write to and work with their local council and/or councils in areas they like to visit then it is likely that change would occur (as has happened in a few places already). If people are not prepared to do that change is highly unlikely to happen.

Graham

californiadreamer

Free Member
Oct 10, 2008
Funster No
if things don't change, they stay the same....

yes Graham, I totally agree with everything you've said and have true admiration for all of the effort you have made for motorhome parking. I wish we were all like you but..... unfortunately in this real world, it doesn't work that way and 'laissez-faire' is far more prevalent.

This is one of the reasons we elect MP's, Councillors etc so that they can fight the good fight in our stead. What we need is a nationwide campaign, with a REAL figurehead/body who will be listened to. We collectively pay a good deal of money to various clubs, C.C. and C.C. & C., for instance, these are the people who should be lobbying on our behalf.

I smile whenever I see advertisements for motorhomes and the 'freedom' that owning one will bring. Maybe the Motorhome builders or whoever places the ads would help to campaign on our behalf??

Just daydreaming.. but I can do that, can't I???

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
and freeloaders (who are just out for something for nothing and often cause anti-social problems in addition).
Graham
whilst I understand where you are coming from Graham and applaud the sterling work you do. I do object to the term Freeloaders, whilst we may or may not (but often do) spend cash locally we do pay insurance, road tax and a humongous amount of tax on fuel, repairs etc. If we did not then just maybe we would have some extra money left to pour into the local economy. I utterly detest the term freeloading, in my mind I pay for the right though my taxes and right of birth. Basically the term suggest as we are not as well heeled as others we should go without rather than cutting our suit to suit the cloth. Also because we are financially disadvantaged does not make us anti social. sorry mate but wrong thinking and a bit of a snobish attitude.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

i think what roger is refering to here is FREE camping/parking as opposed to WILD camping.

in my view wild camping is getting away from civilization, as much as is possible, and being self sufficient.
the clues in the word 'wild':winky:

free camping is overnighting where ever you can, be it a supermarket carpark, industrial estate, layby, on-street or where-ever.

just my view:thumb:

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I allways thought wildcamping was a motorhomers term for free camping

agreed Allen, it may be a generally used term for camping other than on a campsite but theres nothing wild about a carpark, industrial estate, etc:winky:

not quite the same as half way up a scottish/welsh mountain camping amongst the pine trees.:Cool::thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
yes Graham, I totally agree with everything you've said and have true admiration for all of the effort you have made for motorhome parking. I wish we were all like you but..... unfortunately in this real world, it doesn't work that way and 'laissez-faire' is far more prevalent.
Ironic that you should use the term "laissez-faire" as that is the doctrine that government should not interfere :Smile:
Another interpretation might be "let it be" - but that would mean people are quite happy with the current situation and don't want change.

This is one of the reasons we elect MP's, Councillors etc so that they can fight the good fight in our stead. What we need is a nationwide campaign, with a REAL figurehead/body who will be listened to.
But unless MPs etc are lobbied how do they know what "we" want? We have to remember that MPs will also have people lobbying against motorhomes.

We collectively pay a good deal of money to various clubs, C.C. and C.C. & C., for instance, these are the people who should be lobbying on our behalf.
The CC and C&CC are in the business of running camp sites. that is what we pay them for, not to lobby for alternatives which might take business away.

Graham

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
whilst I understand where you are coming from Graham and applaud the sterling work you do. I do object to the term Freeloaders, whilst we may or may not (but often do) spend cash locally we do pay insurance, road tax and a humongous amount of tax on fuel, repairs etc. If we did not then just maybe we would have some extra money left to pour into the local economy. I utterly detest the term freeloading, in my mind I pay for the right though my taxes and right of birth. Basically the term suggest as we are not as well heeled as others we should go without rather than cutting our suit to suit the cloth. Also because we are financially disadvantaged does not make us anti social. sorry mate but wrong thinking and a bit of a snobish attitude.

I was very careful to define Freeloaders as people "who are just out for something for nothing and often cause anti-social problems in addition" because that is the type of person that some councils associate with motorhomers in general. I could have used the term Travellers but that tends to be associated with Gypsies and can miss out those sometimes termed New Age Travellers, some of whom cause similar problems.

Perhaps the fact that you took offence illustrates that it is unsurprising that councils should not appreciate the difference.

Graham

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I allways thought wildcamping was a motorhomers term for free camping

agreed Allen, it may be a generally used term for camping other than on a campsite but theres nothing wild about a carpark, industrial estate, etc:winky:

not quite the same as half way up a scottish/welsh mountain camping amongst the pine trees.:Cool::thumb:

Yes, wild camping is a term which pre-dates motorhomes and, in its true sense, is defined as lightweight, done in small numbers and only for two to three nights in one place.

In the absence of any specific legislation to the contrary there is no bar to anyone spending the night in a vehicle by the roadside. That is not the case off the road though. Whether we like it or not, all land in this country is owned by somebody and it is up to the owner whether they allow (or at least tolerate) camping on their land.

Graham

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back