Wild Camping, What, Where And How? (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter Deleted member 36503
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 36503

Deleted User
As a totally straight person with the best SWMBO on planet earth I hate the term 'Wild Camping', but hey ho if that is what it is called then hey ho!
I used to own my own caravan sites in France, both of which I built and both of which were regarded as being the most popular and busiest of their type over there (according to the authorities), but now I am back in the UK and in the process of building my own panel van conversion I am starting to look at where to go when 'Millie' is finished.
Not that I am antisocial but I hate large sites and generally speaking any site where I can see another caravan or motorhome is too crowded for me and as for going on rallies........ blah-humbug!
So for me, the thought of just parking up anywhere I carefully and considerately believe will not upset others is a prospect I am rather looking forward to.

But as I haven't done any of this yet, I would love to hear any hints and tips from those who have a lot of experience at this game.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Hello @Buzzy-Beans
I hate the term 'Wild Camping', but hey ho if that is what it is called then hey ho!
... also known as "stealth camping" but I think that's worse, it sounds as though you know you're doing something somewhat illegal and probably wearing a mask! :mask:
But wild camping is also a specific term in the Scottish Outdoor Access Code for TENTS not m/h's so there can be some confusion.
There are some dedicated wild campers on here and I'm also looking forward to seeing some good advice.
Good fortune with Millie and happy travels :)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
As a generalisation, and therefore not wholly true, wild camping is frowned upon in the UK. There are places like Scotland where it is fairly widely practised but anywhere in England you risk getting woken up and moved on.

There is also the problem of the lack of places to acceptably empty waste, particularly black waste. You will also want large water and waste tanks - something our PVC lacks although building your own you would have the chance to address this, space permitting.

This is not to say there aren't car parks and out of the way places you can hole up for a few days, but they are not common and often not advertised as those that use them want to keep them for themselves.

I would forget it for the UK and go to say France and use the aires, many of which are free or almost.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
Have a look at
Park4night
Camper contact
And a general search can give you a start, I expect you'll find a couple of your own in your travels!

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Broken Link Removed (y)
Good article ans some useful comments.

One thing I now advocate is not publicising spots, in this I am being a little hypocritical as I started out using websites to find spots, but I have now realised that such publicity causes overuse and potential friction with locals.

Only other thing I would add is street view on Google is a good way to check out some spots before you go, but the best one, so far, was found en-route.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
We were never comfortable with the notion of Wild Camping but we wanted to visit Shetland a few years ago where there are just a handful of very small sites. I enquired about wilding it with the local tourist office and was quite surprised to receive a very positive response.

We have since visited Shetland a second time, Orkney, the western isles and the west coast mainland. Almost exclusively wilding it. There is nothing that can beat finding a 'secret' cove or a clifftop with stunning views or maybe a lochside where if your lucky you may have deer meander down right up to your van.

We always follow the code and leave any spot we have enjoyed tidier than we found it (if necessary).

It doesn't appeal to everyone, which is just as well. Many will say it's about saving a bob or two. The issue of water and waste can be dealt with quite easily and with a little planning and forethought.

Just thinking about it makes me want to head off to Scotland!

Last edited:

Eve

Free Member
Jan 29, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
20 years
There,s nothing wrong with wild camping as long as you don,t offend anyone:coolest::devil:. In UK you pay your road Tax ,plus lots of places now provide a place to park in there cities,usually park and Ride and it's great if you want to visit something special.

I tend to keep my nice spots to myself ,as it does not take long for them to be put on the net,next time you go,everyone is there.:wasntme:

If you are doing your own van,paint it green so it blends in well,you need binoculars ,don,t ever hang washing out,and keep things outside to the minimum , most sites will let you empty toilet waste,if you use chemicals do not empty except at a chemical point.
Buy the air de services book for France,Spain Portugal,there are many more Italy Sweden Denmark,Vacarious books sell them.
Use airs were appropriate ,respect other countries rules and you cannot go wrong.
Enjoy your travels .Eve:party2::imoutahere::wine:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The Americans call it "boon docking"

Sounds total nonsense and worse than anything we call it.

My interpretation is exactly that.
....wild camping.
Not hidden away behind a derelict factory or in a layby.
That's just tightwad free camping

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The Americans call it "boon docking"

Sounds total nonsense and worse than anything we call it.

The word boondock comes from the word bundok, used in some parts of the Philippines for a remote rural area. The word was brought back to the USA by American service personnel.

Ginge3685

Free Member
Jun 5, 2014
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
K
As a totally straight person with the best SWMBO on planet earth I hate the term 'Wild Camping', but hey ho if that is what it is called then hey ho!
I used to own my own caravan sites in France, both of which I built and both of which were regarded as being the most popular and busiest of their type over there (according to the authorities), but now I am back in the UK and in the process of building my own panel van conversion I am starting to look at where to go when 'Millie' is finished.
Not that I am antisocial but I hate large sites and generally speaking any site where I can see another caravan or motorhome is too crowded for me and as for going on rallies........ blah-humbug!
So for me, the thought of just parking up anywhere I carefully and considerately believe will not upset others is a prospect I am rather looking forward to.

But as I haven't done any of this yet, I would love to hear any hints and tips from those who have a lot of experience at this game.
Last year we did 6 weeks in Scotland and only used 3 campsites, we did have the benefit of the "Wild Camping" app on my Garmin Nuvi.
This will give you legal places to pitch up, and also water points.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
We never use camp sites unless we need a washing machine. There is no need in the whole of France, although we sometime used camperplaats in Germany.
Having the free Camper Contact on your satnav is all you need. - http://www.campercontact.com/en/content/downloads
It's harder in the UK but you soon build up a library of spots if you keep your eye out. I actually enjoy the challenge of finding water in obscure places.
We travel 3 or 4 hours every day (also to re-charge the battery's) so camp sites hold no attraction to us. We love travelling and seeing what the new day brings.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Sometimes you can find places that are like Aires.. be aware these are overnight parking places no wildness involved. You have to pay but they are quite cheap. Sometimes you can find lovely places to sleep off the beaten track where you wake up to peace and quiet and the countryside. Sometimes you end up in a layby.. it's an adventure.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 36503

Deleted User
Thanks one and all, still some time away for me as I still have a veritable building mountain although today I did finish installing all the rooflights, windows and vents. Next week it is the total swab down before spray foam insulation and then the build proper starts!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
We called in at a farm to get some duck eggs and got chatting to the farmer ask if there was anywhere we could park up for the night.
He sent us to a spot where the road has ben started and the old road is Owned by him just park there do what you want just keep it tidy.
we had the wind out awing out to check it when he dropped by in his brand new land rover I explain I was just checking it and would be winding it in he just smile just live it out lad and enjoy your night put your wind brakes out to keeping this spot a closely guarded secret
bill
20150521_120557.jpg 2015-05-23 21.36.28.jpg 2015-05-23 21.36.03.jpg

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
uk is easy if you just look about a bit . i think its the easiest place in eu for water . every village park as a water fountain or tap. we have public toilets all over the place with taps . almost every tap in uk is drinking water unlike many in eu they use untreated water in many rural areas and isnt potable , ie, drinking water.
just sensible parking and you get away with murder in uk.
even in many cities street parking gives a night here and there.
just a shame its not warmer and drier in winter be no point going abroad . other than beer ,fuel and fags uk is probably cheapest country in europe to be in .

gazza280

Free Member
Sep 26, 2012
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
uk is easy if you just look about a bit . i think its the easiest place in eu for water . every village park as a water fountain or tap. we have public toilets all over the place with taps . almost every tap in uk is drinking water unlike many in eu they use untreated water in many rural areas and isnt potable , ie, drinking water.
just sensible parking and you get away with murder in uk.
even in many cities street parking gives a night here and there.
Totally agree!!
If you respect anywhere you park up, you can park up just about anywhere.
No loud noises, no generator, rubbish taken away and disposed of properly.

I travel on my own and like to just park up for one night, then move off to a different location next night. I will park in laybys, on the quiet streets where there is enough room, so that I am not causing an obstruction and quiet country spots that I am shielded from traffic and not in full view. I don't have any lights on, theres enough light coming from the TV and laptop. Don't have anything on loud so no noise can be heard from outside.
Curtains closed round cab and the habitation door is locked with a fiamma swing bar across door, mainly for security, so I just exit by cab doors, no problem.

I have never been asked to move on, and in the winter I even have the Eberspacher heater ticking away and still don't get bothered.
My bed is over my garage and I have a curtain that I can pull across to be hidden at the back, so I have on a few occasions when feeling tired after a long drive, not drawn the curtains across the cab so anyone that looks in would just see an empty motorhome, and not know that I was asleep in the bed area. Sneaky I know!! But it works a treat because the alarm is still on.

For a change I will use a campsite occasionally. Its not because I am cheap but I like the freedom and bit of adventure.

If I'm staying somewhere for more than the night, and there are more of these places than you would expect, then I have my habitation door open, chair, table out with a cold beer.
Its what motorhoming freedom should be.:happy:

Its the inconsiderate that spoil it for everyone.:mad:

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
You forgot the wine!!
A bottle of good Riesling (recommended as a best buy in the Metro) in Aldi is £4.99.
The very same bottle in Aldi ---Germany ------------------ is less than-----------£1.50!
Bought 3 crates back.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
beer wine same voice.
but you can get 3ltrs of wine in asda for a fiver.
me i bring back aldi,s bonus cartons or lidl conde noble .59c a litre . cant be doing with expensive stuff like you bring . i get three litres for 1.50 pounds you get 70 cl.
if you go only once in a few years and bring back enough for ages .
mind i do have 5 ton payload . ha ha . cant just bring wine , gotta bring some argus beer from lidl and a few solera . i must learn to count hee hee,

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
You do need to be careful about having a drink though, just in case you do get asked to move on. No worries here though, nearest
FB_IMG_1432452032811.jpg
policeman is a ferry trip away!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back