Free Member
Apr 26, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
C Class Low Profile
Exp
A few years
Ok, Sharon and I are wild camping virgins (apart from tent camping many years ago).

So we’d like to be safely introduced to the sport and we’re looking for rock solid safe / easy / no hassle wild camping experience in Scotland (our home base) - even better if on the West Coast.

So any thoughts, advice on where we should kick off the adventure?

We’re a 7m low profile coach built with (currently) no Solar.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Wild camping is great fun. Some info for you (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we tend to wild x 2 then site x 1 so we can top up fresh and dump waste

there are 1000's of spaces, you will find most of them by looking, others are tucked off the byeways and you are unlikely to be given them for fear of them becoming over used

the west coat of Scotland is our favourite UK wilding area, outer Hebrides even better, Norway best of all but not UK, save that for next time ?

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
We got our first van in December ... we have taken it to ...
- Arbroath (wild)
- Kelpies (wild)
- Killin (club site)
- Wig Bay near Stranraer (wild)
- Mull of Galloway (wildish)
To me wild means non-site.
I felt totally safe on all of these even though I’m naturally risk-averse. If any appeal or if you want some locations I haven’t been to (but would go to) in Wester Ross then let me know.

DavidG58 is spot on about 2 wild 1 site idea.
If you are on Facebook Scottish Motorhome Wildcampers is an excellent forum.
I also highly recommend the app park4night.

Enjoy!

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
We’re a 7m low profile coach built with (currently) no Solar.
Get a few 100 Watts of solar and a couple of leisure batteries ASAP to greatly improve your wild camping experiences.
And change as much stuff in the MH that use energy into 12v and all lights to Led's this will mean you can go longer without the need for plugging into electric.

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
Join 'Britstops' for a book full of free motorhome stop overs for Safe Wild Camping.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We have just returned home from a few weeks in the Lake District and talking with other National Trust Members the NT are happy for members to stay overnight in most of their car parks as a deterrent to fly tipping.

Surprised at that. The few times we've asked at NT properties we've been politely turned down, insurance considerations or something like that. I know that NT do have a few dedicated campsites but never used one.

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
Keep yer knickers on and you will stay that way:laughing:

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Luskintyre beach
Outer Hebrides

An INTERESTING first response!

Given that the OP states the home address as Glasgow, it would presumably mean a drive of over 250miles each way and a return ferry trip costing approx £80.

We visited Luskentyre in June and were unimpressed: we drove the length of the road (3miles each way) without finding anywhere to get our 6m MH into, except the cemetery carpark at the very end. It had no magnificent views and, I think, did not allow overnighting.

There are plenty of other wilding spots on the Outer Hebrides with much greater capacity and plenty of excellent views. (We used 10 over the course of 3 weeks.)

If I'd lost my virginity following advice like this, I might have joined a monastery. :eek:

Gordon

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Try The Galloway Forest Park, you'd be on the edge of the park in an hour from Glasgow. Its peaceful & safe.
Feel free to browse through my previous posts for photo's & advice is totally free, I'd even come out to show you to the best spots if required.
Above all enjoy yourselves...Robert.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC

Given that the OP states the home address as Glasgow, it would presumably mean a drive of over 250miles each way and a return ferry trip costing approx £80.

We visited Luskentyre in June and were unimpressed: we drove the length of the road (3miles each way) without finding anywhere to get our 6m MH into, except the cemetery carpark at the very end. It had no magnificent views and, I think, did not allow overnighting.

There are plenty of other wilding spots on the Outer Hebrides with much greater capacity and plenty of excellent views. (We used 10 over the course of 3 weeks.)

If I'd lost my virginity following advice like this, I might have joined a monastery. :eek:

Gordon

Things might have changed, but we were there last September and spent two nights in that parking area. 2 MHs permitted overnight and donations requested to Harris Trust in the collection box on the toilet wall by the tap. Collected each morning by the man who lives in the nearby house, who also cleans the toilets.

As for views, superb view up the slopes of the hill to the right as you enter the car park, and a very short walk across the dunes to Luskentyre beach - stunning.

OP
OP
ShaKen

ShaKen

Free Member
Apr 26, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
C Class Low Profile
Exp
A few years
Join 'Britstops' for a book full of free motorhome stop overs for Safe Wild Camping.

Done that - but not used any as of yet!

Currently sitting looking through the book and contemplating the options.

OP
OP
ShaKen

ShaKen

Free Member
Apr 26, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
C Class Low Profile
Exp
A few years
Keep yer knickers on and you will stay that way:laughing:
Try The Galloway Forest Park, you'd be on the edge of the park in an hour from Glasgow. Its peaceful & safe.
Feel free to browse through my previous posts for photo's & advice is totally free, I'd even come out to show you to the best spots if required.
Above all enjoy yourselves...Robert.

Thanks - yes the park sounds great - awesome for star watching I hear. So definitely on the list and I’ll give you a shout if/when heading that way.

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
We had a FREE Britstop night at The Red Lion Pub at Chew Valley near Chew Lake near Bath. Mainly because the local campsite was fully booked. Had the next night at Bath by the River Campsite nice 40mins walk along the river bank into the centre of Bath.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs

Gordon
With humour like yours I doubt it! Whats not to like about Luskentyre or Seilboist where it sounds like you ended up, Drove 3 miles huh, try 14 on the Husinish road

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Luskintyre beach
Outer Hebrides

Gordon
With humour like yours I doubt it! Whats not to like about Luskentyre or Seilboist where it sounds like you ended up, Drove 3 miles huh, try 14 on the Husinish road

YEAH did that. In fact there were not many roads we didn't drive down between Vartesay and Butt of Lewis. More, larger places to park on the road to Hushinish eg Eagle's Watchpoint than Luskentyre so more likelihood of actually being able to spend the night..

I'm not disputing the beauty of Luskentyre beach BUT I like to see the views from my place of repose. My favourites would be Cliff, Rhenigidale (where we saw 2 golden eagles on two occasions), Bridge to Nowhere. [Admittedly, Rhenigidale only has room for a couple of vans.]

However, the OP wanted to try wilding for the first time and driving 500 miles, paying £80 in ferry fares only to find limited parking opportunities is not what I think as helpful.

Gordon

PS Not sure what you're doubting?

Sep 15, 2018
Funster No
MH
Self build
Exp
Since 2009
Quite close for your first trip, try Troon harbour, really quiet,safe area with the benefit of the Wee Hurrie chip shop around the corner. We have just been there, it was amazing sitting at the harbour watching the seals swim around the harbour. You can find more details on the Park4night app, which we use to find sites anywhere.

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs

Gordon
Agree. We couldn’t find anywhere at Luskentyre in May and together with many other motorhomes, had a very challenging and chaotic turn around in the tiny car park where the loos are (no overnight parking) at the end of the road.
The larger main cemetary car park was closed off as a funeral procession was due.
Not impressed but the beachlooked amazing. We ended up at Horgabost campsite.

OP
OP
ShaKen

ShaKen

Free Member
Apr 26, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
C Class Low Profile
Exp
A few years
I recently passed through the Crinan canal and spotted that there was some MoHo’s parked around lock 11 (about midway along) and it looked like a nice spot.

Has anyway tried that spot; is overnighting allowed there?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back