Free Member
Jul 11, 2016
devom
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper legend GL
Exp
im a newbie
Thank you all for the welcome to the site.
Would like to attempt wild camping in the south west, loving Dartmoor for the glorious views and the south for the sun shine. Any ideas of overnight spots, good and bad experiences? Loved to hear from you all!

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
No suggestions I'm afraid.

My experience is that much of Devon and Cornwall is covered by local By Laws that prevent overnight camping.

In many ways it is understandable when you observe the number of camper vans being driven round by surfers and otheryounger sports enthusiasts.

The only place I've wild camped undisturbed has been on some of the minor roads over Exmoor.

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
See - "Although it is convenient to pull into a layby to admire the view and have a cup of tea, overnight sleeping in vehicles at the roadside, or in car parks is not permitted under National Park byelaw No 6."

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

GWG

Free Member
Oct 15, 2015
Paignton, Devon
Funster No
MH
C. Bessacarr 496
Exp
2 years (40 years Caravan)
South Devon very unfriendly for Wild Camping, as so many Campsites that want £30+ per night make a big lobby group on the Council. Especially Torbay. Well known spot is above Battery Gardens in Brixham, but very popular so you lucky to get a spot. Paignton Seafront is £2.50 from 17.00 to 08.00 but camping not allowed so you sleep sitting up with a cuppa in your hand
Most side roads have vans "parked" but you you will get a knock if residents report you sleeping.
Most car parks on Dartmoor are patrolled by the Rangers, so you will get knocked in the night.
Good luck, if you find any gems, keep us posted, although I suspect most Wild Campers keep their favourites secret.

Upvote 0

Jabberwocky

Free Member
Aug 14, 2015
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
MWB coach build
Exp
I'm a newbie
Wild camping is allowed on Dartmoor, but only in tents.

You could always pull in with the trucks in a layby on the A30, that's probably the best you can get.

Upvote 0

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
If you've got a small van conversion it's a lot easier to wild camp TBH. Check out English heritage car parks at castles or other attractions for example, or try common land car parks on the high moors. Stay away from car parks near towns.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 25, 2015
east devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer b674
Exp
since 2013
We stopped at five wyches farm between haytor and bovey tracey. Rural, long drop loo, outside showers and a couple of weeks ago only £12 a night. Not quite wild camping but safe and within easy wAlking distance of some spectacular scenery.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Just get the ferry from Plymouth to Roscoff. You don't need to wild camp in France, plenty of aires. That's what we do! :)

Upvote 0

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I cross Dartmoor regularly from Ashburton across towards Tavistock and I regularly see the odd motorhome obviously intending to wild overnight. Whether they succeed or not I don't know but it is against the bylaws and there are plenty of rangers about to enforce them and to protect the national park, its animals and environment. Frankly Dartmoor would be spoilt if wilding were allowed.

Reactions: GJH
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back