Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Part of the problem is that some sections of the general public do not/can not/will not distinguish between illegal camp sites set up by so-called "travellers" and motorhomes staying in places overnight where it is either illegal or causes them a problem.

Graham

At the risk of being a bit argumentative may I ask which are these "sections of the general public"

How have you found out about their views?

Should I be concerned about their ill formed opinions?

JJ ;-)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
At the risk of being a bit argumentative may I ask which are these "sections of the general public"

How have you found out about their views?

Should I be concerned about their ill formed opinions?

JJ ;-)

The ones who take complaints to their local councils - as happened in Lytham St Annes where some people used car parks to overnight despite notices banning it.

I found out because councils told me as part of responses to my research.

Graham

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Wild spots should be used, but never abused.

If it is high season, or rates in that area are particularly high then it will increase. It may be that a van parked on a wild spot in low season, may be there for a night just because they can rather than being tight. Not everyone wants to be on a site all week long. Others may want to test out life without hook-up (or even test how long they will last!)

Do support local sites as much as you can, but do enjoy wild spots - but with care and sensitivity. Just image a van turning up outside your house. A night or two you probably wouldn't mind - two weeks and you would be getting annoyed by day 5!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mohawk Dave

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Funster No
Live and let live, what harm is being done, you do your thing and others can do as they please
Motorhomes are about freedom and choices :Doh:

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
I muxt be one also :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: but i rarely use carparks and never stay for 4 days in same spot apart from that i dont see anything wrong with wildcamping if done with respect for others and the surronding area.

Gerry

You see nothing wrong with parking on someone else's property against their wishes -0 interesting.

Give me your address and I will park without your permission in your front garden - OK!!

Said tongue in cheek but there is some merit to the comments.

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Well Im off to the Lake District at lunchtime for 4 days with the "lads"

Have we booked anything? Nope! do we need to? Nope!

If your up that way and see a Kontiki and a white and green 1971 VW camper come and say hello. Always beer in the fridge!

Cheers
BD

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Going up there for one night only to pick a friend up so if see you will knock on your door and hope you have a kettle as well as a can of beer.:Smile:

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Nice one. I think the VW has a kettle. The Kontiki probably has one but as Mrs D is not there I wont know where it is or how to work it.

Will look out for you.

Cheers
Barry

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Tossers of the World unite !!

Just got back from the Isle of Lewis, I found a spot that I liked and spent 7 days there and 3 or 4 days at various other places... I even managed 1 night under observation in The Western Isles Hospital in Stornoway !!
But that's another story !!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Hayleylulu

Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
What is it with some people? I've noticed the same couple camping (dossing) in a West Sussex car park for the last four days. There are load of empty sites in the area that charge really cheap rates at this time of year, there are even more CLs that need the patronage or they might disappear. But rather than pay these people park up in a car park, nicking parking slots for days on end, giving us all a bad name. They call themselves "Wild Campers" :ROFLMAO: Why Wild campers when they could use more fitting names like "Tight Wads" "Skin Flints" "Free Loaders" I'm alright jacks" "Tossers":Smile:

This as to be a first a jock willing to part with some money:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Photos from an "Off Site Addict"

To give an idea of my kind of "off siting" where there are no rules about...

What time you arrive...
What time you leave...
When and for how long you can run your generator...
How loud you can have your music playing...

etc etc...

Here are photos of some of the places I spent the night (and sometimes longer) on my way down to Portugal this month...

Now off towards Spanish border...

JJ :Cool:

Attachments

• off site 3.jpg
    off site 3.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 73
  • lac de vassiviere.jpg
    lac de vassiviere.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 64
  • a brilliant overnight here nr caylus.jpg
    a brilliant overnight here nr caylus.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 65
  • wagon parked at farm.jpg
    wagon parked at farm.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 63
  • wagon at frankies.jpg
    wagon at frankies.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 65

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Well I have read your thread " weejocky", I have also noticed you only joined in January 2010,"WHY" as you seem to be in total opposition to what the forum stands for, Motor Homing and Fun and enjoying what short life we have when and how we like, without braking any laws leaving the area/site better than we found it without imposing ourselves on others :Doh:
Maybe you would have been better with a Static caravan, then you can sit and savor what is in around your domain,
I believe in having the right to say what I like when I like and you are in one of the countries that allows you "THE UK"...........I hope you have been man enough to speak to the motorhome person/couple in question before you vented this abuse on one of the best forums on the internet (and the best MOTORHOME forum)........who's 90% of the members have or are doing at the present or will do sometime in the future wild camp/park on a car park:Doh:....where do this authority come from to control or tell others what to do and where they should go to park................. it comes to mind another man in the late 1930.early 1940s tried to impose his views and .......????? his name slips my mind ......Alzheimer's - Dementia this is what happens when you get old and try to enjoy life and park on Aires/carparks

I have noticed you do not say much about yourself in your "Statistics".......who you are.... where you are from..... what motorhome you have (if any) ..... what are your interests...... and of course years of motorhoming (if any)............Why...................is that telling me something...............

Have you thought of coming over to France and put your views to the French Motorhomers

your words not mine

"Rather than pay, these people park up in a car park, nicking parking slots for days on end, giving us all a bad name. They call themselves "Wild Campers" Why Wild campers when they could use more fitting names like "Tight Wads" "Skin Flints" "Free Loaders" I'm alright jacks" "Tossers" ......

Mmmmmmmm as a lot of the Aires in France are just that car parks......with water and electricity supplied by the village or town, some are totally free, some you have to pay a few euros,

I /We only use Aires........we do not use campsites....we have every thing on board that we need so why would I require a campsite / CL.................so WHAT does THAT make me....

Bonnne journee.....as the say in France (have a good day)

Mel

Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

To give an idea of my kind of "off siting" where there are no rules about...

What time you arrive...
What time you leave...
When and for how long you can run your generator...
How loud you can have your music playing...

etc etc...

Here are photos of some of the places I spent the night (and sometimes longer) on my way down to Portugal this month...

Now off towards Spanish border...

Nice pics JJ:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

You think we're thick don't you. The penny has just dropped here. Black, wierd, unobtrusive van. No-one pays it a second glance. Big bloke.

Your are MI6 and I claim my £5.

F****ing James Bond.

No wonder Frankie is smiling.

Nobody does it betterrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.........

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Your are MI6 and I claim my £5.

I thought he was MCFC, not MI6 :roflmto:

To be more serious, though, Mel makes the salient point - not breaking any laws. If people stuck to staying where there are no restrictions and treating the area with respect, as JJ does, there shouldn't be a problem.

It is people who ignore restrictions and/or mistreat the area that supply ammunition to those who would introduce universal restrictions.

Graham

davvidof

Free Member
May 24, 2010
Felixstowe
Funster No
MH
None - Sold It!
Exp
2 Months
Where do all the 'wild campers' stay when they attend a funsters meet? We like staying on campsites, I'm getting a strong feeling of resentment from those who prefer to wild rather than a 'here we are, we're the Funsters' kind of feeling, we had thought of going along to the meet in Norfolk but feel quite intimidated by some of the posts. :Sad:

Dave..... In rainy Cornwall on a campsite.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
They stay with the rest of us Dave and have a thoroughly good time. Please don't feel intimidated - that's one feeling I've never experienced at a Fun meet.

Graham

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Where do all the 'wild campers' stay when they attend a funsters meet? We like staying on campsites, I'm getting a strong feeling of resentment from those who prefer to wild rather than a 'here we are, we're the Funsters' kind of feeling, we had thought of going along to the meet in Norfolk but feel quite intimidated by some of the posts. :Sad:

Fear not, all are equal at a Funster do. As with anything in life there are always the extreme points of view (lack of understanding or appreciating even) but the general round here is FUN:thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
whilst most wild campers occasionally use sites, some don't as a matter of principle. A rally at a show is not on a "Site", whilst rallies at a Site with no show are generally held at a registered site. some people will not pay at any price and others will bend, I have never stayed on a pay site in a motorhome in 44 years, but am intending to join a meet at Misterton next year, I don't really have a problem with that at all. I have the freedom to make the choice. everyone who attends has great fun wildcampers or not so no need to feel intimidated. There is none of this mine is bigger than yours lark, no point everyone knows I have the biggest one (but biggest what I am not saying, hee hee)

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)

Please do not get the impression that we have anything but good humor and fun at the fun meets and rallies or shows, the thing that got people putting the other side of the coin was the terms the OP used when posting, I can tell you for a fact some of the friendliest and interesting people we have met at rallies or meets are wild campers and full timers who join us where ever the rally may be. Please don't be put off and join us at a meet.
PS.......Jim & Shaun do brilliant bacon butties. ::thumb:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years

Dave - as already said - on a Fun rally we are all equal - tent / caravan /motorhome / A class/ B class/ C class /demountable /trailer tent who cares - no hassle just fun - the hardest thing about a Fun meet is actually getting round to meet everyone there is so much to talk about - we have never managed to meet everyone at a meet yet - try it - well worth the effort - can't wait for next season to start to meet friend old and new

davvidof

Free Member
May 24, 2010
Felixstowe
Funster No
MH
None - Sold It!
Exp
2 Months
At this moment I am parked in the car park of a large supermarket, and guess what they want me to stay, they have even allocated places for MH's and there is water and toilet dump as well, so who's the tosser? Oh! sorry, I should have said "ignorant tosser"?

Doug...

So because we choose not to stay in supermarket carparks we are 'ignorant tossers'?

Dave

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010

Don't judge MHFun by this thread....IMHO it should have ended a long time ago, but it obviously struck several nerves. I haven't wild camped yet because I've never found myself in a situation where it seemed preferable/quieter/safer than staying on a site (mind you, my van isn't exactly built for regular wild camping....I think setting up a utility tent in a car park so I can have a shower might not be the smartest thing to do :Smile:).

But one day I will, whether by choice or not.

As has been mentioned...it'll never be an issue at a meet, partly because anyone who has a serious problem with paying won't on principle be there. This thread has gone a bit OTT so ignore it...Funsters are always nice when you meet them, whatever your overnighting persuasion... :roflmto:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
So because we choose not to stay in supermarket carparks we are 'ignorant tossers'?

Dave

Not at all Dave. Doug was actually talking about a place in France, where things are different.

As others have said, this thread provoked a few OTT responses.

Fun meets always guarantee a great time - especially when there are a few of we Nutters around :Smile: Do a search on the forum for Nutters if you don't realise what I mean :Smile:

Graham

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 649C Class
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
Its all been said above...motorhomers should choose themselves whether they wildcamp or not. Ive not wildcamped yet (unless behind my house counts??), but if I want to, I will...

each to their own

Hayleylulu

Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
Don't judge MHFun by this thread....IMHO it should have ended a long time ago, but it obviously struck several nerves. I haven't wild camped yet because I've never found myself in a situation where it seemed preferable/quieter/safer than staying on a site (mind you, my van isn't exactly built for regular wild camping....I think setting up a utility tent in a car park so I can have a shower might not be the smartest thing to do :Smile:).

But one day I will, whether by choice or not.

As has been mentioned...it'll never be an issue at a meet, partly because anyone who has a serious problem with paying won't on principle be there. This thread has gone a bit OTT so ignore it...Funsters are always nice when you meet them, whatever your overnighting persuasion... :roflmto:

am one of the tossers and i pay to come to the meets

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
My own experience is that 90% of people I have met are lovely. Some of them wildcamp some of them don't ... that isn't what determines whether someone is a tosser... hate that word anyway ... must be a postcode difference... Everybody is entitled to voice their opinions as to a topic and in this case it is wild camping. Some will agree and some won't but we all belong to the same forum so let's be easy going over something which isn't life threatening...

Live and let live. :thumb:

Hayleylulu

Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
I think when us tossers go on the nexst meet we will have to have are own tent for tossers: if we dont have a tent all tosseres are wellcome in smudgers bus:roflmto::roflmto::roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back