Wild Camping NOT (1 Viewer)

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
I didn't come out of that one very well did I::bigsmile: I can take comfort, I know a lot of you agree with me , you just have not said so on this thread as you did not want to get it in the neck from all those tossers :Smile:like I did. But I must say it again as none of you (tossers) have convinced me otherwise. :Smile:Wild-parkers who plot up and outstay there welcome will ruin it for everyone and you don't have to be Einstein to appreciate that fact .

I thought I'd let you know that the van was still there this Friday. there will be a no overnighting sign there next year for sure. Absolute Tossers, :Smile:

Opps you did put your foot in at as they say...

Though have to agree with a previous post in this thread, were or are they actually wild camping for free, we have just got back from a couple of weeks down Cornwall and were very plesantly surprised to see a few car parks offering overnight stays for a motorhome at around £3.00 per night.

Now that is a move in the right direction. :thumb:

OP
OP
weejocky

weejocky

Funster
Jan 20, 2010
Yorkshire and France
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
not long enough
l will continue to park as and where l fancy,

Craig

But you won't, because some freeloading tosser will have stayed too long and ruined it for you.
:Doh: This thread is NOT ABOUT WILD CAMPING its about staying too long in one public place. I am talking about people wild PARKING and staying for too long, days on end; they are tossers. Then I get pilloried by those here who say "I'm a tosser" Well yes you are if you park up for too long. You will ruin it for all those that want to stop and enjoy a place for a few hours. :Doh: Its not rocket science. Wild camp yes, take the pi$$ and before long you'll be nicked for parking where you fancy because it will be prohibited:RollEyes:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
But you won't, because some freeloading tosser will have stayed too long and ruined it for you. :Doh: This thread is NOT ABOUT WILD CAMPING its about staying too long in one public place. I am talking about people wild PARKING and staying for too long, days on end; they are tossers. Then I get pilloried by those here who say "I'm a tosser" Well yes you are if you park up for too long. You will ruin it for all those that want to stop and enjoy a place for a few hours. :Doh: Its not rocket science. Wild camp yes, take the pi$$ and before long you'll be nicked for parking where you fancy because it will be prohibited:RollEyes:

there is a forum called motorhome darkside.:cry:
you would be very welcome to join and there aint no tosser's on there.
well there is but not many?:thumb:

chris(tosser)green

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Well we are still away on a 2 week UK tour that has turned into 4 weeks now. Been all around Devon and Cornwall, south coast, Wiltshire, Henley and Marlow and now up on the North East Yorks coast at Flamborough head. We wanted to see if we can do a tour like we would in France where you pretty much decide where to go the next day and either find somewhere when you get there or ring up the night before. Dead easy this time of year. We wanted to wild camp and I have all the POI from the wild camping site but all the ones we saw or found were crap. Car parks or laybys. Instead we have soley used the CL networks. Cheap as chips and on many we have had the place to ourselves.

What am I ramling on about? Well I think Im trying to say you can have a touring holiday for very little expense in the UK without wilding. Some of the CL's we were on were as little as £3.50 and you get water and loo emptying! They were lovely too. Many of them we were on our own. So for my money, why would you wild camp for a week on a car park or layby when you could be on a lovely quiet CL with facilities for less than £30 for a week?

Dont get me wrong, I love wilding and hate sites but only when its in a far superior place than a CL.

We had to stay on a site for 2 nights at Henley on Thames as there were no CL's nearby and as every square inch of road or car park has a car on it in that area wilding was right out. we hated it and at £15 per night it felt very expensive!

BD

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
I agree mostly BarryD. The only time wilding is best is when you are on your way from A to B and stay overnight. Otherwise it's CLs every time.
ivy

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
tossers

You guys and girls realy get stuck in dont yer . good o. Mitch

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I didn't come out of that one very well did I::bigsmile: I can take comfort, I know a lot of you agree with me , you just have not said so on this thread as you did not want to get it in the neck from all those tossers :Smile:like I did. But I must say it again as none of you (tossers) have convinced me otherwise. :Smile:Wild-parkers who plot up and outstay there welcome will ruin it for everyone and you don't have to be Einstein to appreciate that fact .

I thought I'd let you know that the van was still there this Friday. there will be a no overnighting sign there next year for sure. Absolute Tossers, :Smile:

I must be stupid.

I fail to understand how "off site campers" [B]"will ruin it for everyone."[/B]

Maybe Einstein would be able to explain to me how someone parking a motorhome on a carpark would affect motorhomers who always park on official sites in any way whatsoever...

JJ ::bigsmile:

PS. I am a Tosser's Tosser... a proud winner of the "Tosser of The Year" award several times over... Drop into the layby, quiet road, beautiful beach or piece of land owned by friends that I am parked on at the time and I will show you my medals...

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I must be stupid.

I fail to understand how "off site campers" [B]"will ruin it for everyone."[/B]

Maybe Einstein would be able to explain to me how someone parking a motorhome on a carpark would affect motorhomers who always park on official sites in any way whatsoever...

JJ ::bigsmile:

PS. I am a Tosser's Tosser... a proud winner of the "Tosser of The Year" award several times over... Drop into the layby, quiet road, beautiful beach or piece of land owned by friends that I am parked on at the time and I will show you my medals...

Like so many things it's a matter of degree.

People who stay the night where it is legal and behave sensibly so as not to adversely affect others should receive no criticism.

On the other hand if people contravene restrictions or cause damage or behave in such a way that causes justifiable upset in residents then there is every likelihood that they will affect all motorhomers. When such behaviour occurs there is a likelihood that daytime parking will be restricted as well as overnight - as has happened in some places previously.

Graham

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
I overnight in laybyes quite frequently, though I find it easier to arrive late, and leave early, thereby leaving as little 'footprint' as possible.

I doubt I inconvenience anybody at all.

What people must understand is this.... THERE ARE NO LAWS BANNING WILD CAMPING IN THIS COUNTRY WHATSOEVER!

Of course, you will find laybyes with notices saying 'No overnight parking' and similar such signs. Now, out of respect for the owners of the land, I will leave these well alone - there is no point in deliberately gaining the animosity of the land owner - however- one must ask the question... are these signs legal??

I suspect that most are not, and are a pragmatic solution to an occasional problem. In order to restrict access to a road or highway to the public, a bye law has to be enacted for EACH INDIVIDUAL restriction. When I was a young Bobby in Carlisle, the new 'Disc Parking system' and double yellows in the re-modelled city centre were implemented without the correct legislation. Those that knew tore up parking tickets, and parked where they liked in the sure knowledge that the tickets did not have the force of law!

If you find a layby in a convenient location, and there are no signs to the contrary, park there. If you behave in a civilised manner, and take away your rubbish, I'm sure nobody will object. Leave a mess, and you are spoiling it for all.

If a 'jobsworth' asks you to move, politely ask why, and point out that there are no signs saying you can't stay. If he insists, then just leave. It won't happen very often, but it makes sense not to alienate local authorities, whatever the legality of their policies.

I'm, all for wild camping, so happily I'm a tosser, but I'll not turn my wild camping into a crusade. Life really is too short.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Wow!

I wonder what problems were caused by one couple parking a motorhome in a carpark for four days. I suspect that had there been any problems then they would have been asked to leave.

I am an "off site" motorhomer and have been for well over twenty years. Never been asked to move ever.

Also I have never heard any "ordinary" people having any views about us camper van folk at all. It seems to me that the only people complaining about "off site" parking are other motorhomers who choose to use sites.

...but then, I too get upset by things that really don't matter that much in the grand scheme of things...

JJ the freeloading, skinflint tosser.

Hi JJ, I have to take issue with your signature,

1/ Your not a freeloader as you have supplied for free use a wild site on your own land and at your own expense. which is a bloody site more that the originator of this thread!!!

2/ "Skinflint" see above.

3/ "Tosser"What you do in the privacy of your own van is your own business;-)

Doug...

PS In Perpignan at the moment, getting over strong winds and heavy rain, temps OK though.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I didn't come out of that one very well did I::bigsmile:

Well if you dug that hole any deeper you'd be hearing Oz accents.

You'll never be a politician that's for sure, they word things so as to offend no-one but you jump in Rambo style and ensure you offend just about everyone.

Maybe that was the plan, summer's over were need a bit of sport to keep us going !

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp

But you won't, because some tosser will have stayed too long and ruined it for you.
:Doh: This thread is NOT ABOUT WILD CAMPING its about staying too long in one public place. I am talking about people wild PARKING and staying for too long, days on end; they are tossers. Then I get pilloried by those here who say "I'm a tosser" Well yes you are if you park up for too long. You will ruin it for all those that want to stop and enjoy a place for a few hours. :Doh: Its not rocket science. Wild camp yes, take the pi$$ and before long you'll be nicked for parking where you fancy because it will be prohibited:RollEyes:

At this moment I am parked in the car park of a large supermarket, and guess what they want me to stay, they have even allocated places for MH's and there is water and toilet dump as well, so who's the tosser? Oh! sorry, I should have said "ignorant tosser"?

Doug...

Hayleylulu

Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
THIS is the best £12 pounds iv spent on this site to be come a tosser .as now my spelling is getting better and am now a tosser this tosser wont stop wild camping :Smile::Smile::Smile:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hey Haylelulu, have to agree best £12 I've spent as well but still working on the spelling,
been working out what I can toss

Pancakes / Salads / Caber / oh and I don't give a toss what people do whether they wild camp or on sites just as long as they leave no mess and us Funsters would never do that.:Eeek::thumb:

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
At this moment I am parked in the car park of a large supermarket, and guess what they want me to stay, they have even allocated places for MH's and there is water and toilet dump as well, so who's the tosser? Oh! sorry, I should have said "ignorant tosser"?

Doug...

Yeah but your in France where people with motorhomes seem to be considered normal with money to spend so they look after you.

Anyway to add a bit of "sport" as Brian said. I think people who use campsites are tossers. All in a line making the countryside look like a big white mess. Walking around the place in your dressing gowns with your towel under your arm cos you don’t want to dirty your spick and span shower and loo. You’re a disgrace to the motorhome fraternity and will give us all a bad name

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Did you know

Tossers | Topic profile
Topic profile page for Tossers.

This page has aggregated data from forum posts, threads, listings, online discussions, newsgroups, message boards, and other online sources which contain user generated content for the term: Tossers.

Topic "Tossers" was discussed 10,458 times on 862 sites in last 3 months

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
(snip)What people must understand is this.... THERE ARE NO LAWS BANNING WILD CAMPING IN THIS COUNTRY WHATSOEVER!
My research - see Here - indicates that there appears to be no national legislation which either specifically permits or prohibits roadside camping.

Of course, you will find laybyes with notices saying 'No overnight parking' and similar such signs. Now, out of respect for the owners of the land, I will leave these well alone - there is no point in deliberately gaining the animosity of the land owner - however- one must ask the question... are these signs legal??

I suspect that most are not, and are a pragmatic solution to an occasional problem. In order to restrict access to a road or highway to the public, a bye law has to be enacted for EACH INDIVIDUAL restriction. When I was a young Bobby in Carlisle, the new 'Disc Parking system' and double yellows in the re-modelled city centre were implemented without the correct legislation. Those that knew tore up parking tickets, and parked where they liked in the sure knowledge that the tickets did not have the force of law!
(snip)

If a lay-by (or any other part of the highway) bears a notice saying 'No overnight parking' or something similar then to have effect it must be backed by a properly drafted Traffic Regulation Order passed by the appropriate local authority. The Carlisle example is not the only one where TROs have been improperly enacted but the vast majority of TROs are perfectly valid and the signs are perfectly legal.

Graham

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Like so many things it's a matter of degree.

People who stay the night where it is legal and behave sensibly so as not to adversely affect others should receive no criticism.

On the other hand if people contravene restrictions or cause damage or behave in such a way that causes justifiable upset in residents then there is every likelihood that they will affect all motorhomers. When such behaviour occurs there is a likelihood that daytime parking will be restricted as well as overnight - as has happened in some places previously.

Graham

In my limited experience the only people I have come across who get upset by "off site motorhomes" are other motorhomers.

I have full timed "off site" for twenty years (and part timed for twenty years before that) and have never, ever, ever been asked to move on by anyone... Not by the police, not by residents, not by councils, no one.

I have been visited by the police seveal times and one did point out that it was against the by laws to sleep in the van but he did nothing about it and I just went back to bed. That was over ten years ago and as I write this I am in bed and parked in the exact same place.

So... Please, please tell me... Who am I "ruining it" for?

JJ

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Yeah but your in France where people with motorhomes seem to be considered normal with money to spend so they look after you.

Anyway to add a bit of "sport" as Brian said. I think people who use campsites are tossers. All in a line making the countryside look like a big white mess. Walking around the place in your dressing gowns with your towel under your arm cos you don’t want to dirty your spick and span shower and loo. You’re a disgrace to the motorhome fraternity and will give us all a bad name

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Well WE are site users, we like 'em, mind you I don't own a dressing gown so can't parade around site in one:ROFLMAO: Frankley, I/we use our own loo and shower because they are there and I for one am a lazy so and so:thumb:

Mind you, "All in a line making the countryside look like a big white mess." you do have a point there I have to conceed:Blush:

All in all, each to thier own, just don't ram it down others throat so to speak, or leave a mess where ever you go:thumb:

It's been said before but I feel like saying it again, it'd be a boring old world if we were all the same:thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
In my limited experience the only people I have come across who get upset by "off site motorhomes" are other motorhomers.

I have full timed "off site" for twenty years (and part timed for twenty years before that) and have never, ever, ever been asked to move on by anyone... Not by the police, not by residents, not by councils, no one.

I have been visited by the police seveal times and one did point out that it was against the by laws to sleep in the van but he did nothing about it and I just went back to bed. That was over ten years ago and as I write this I am in bed and parked in the exact same place.

JJ

Perhaps your "limited experience" is a result of staying the night where it is legal and behaving sensibly.

Unfortunately there have been several instances - Aldeburgh and Lytham St Annes spring to mind immediately - where the behaviour of some people has led to severe restrictions on motorhomes.

So, you are not "ruining it" but less responsible people have done so in the past.

Graham

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
This is definately worth the £12 joining fee. A good bit of banter, a bit tongue in cheek, and probably some of you getting up tight, and annoyed. Brilliant! Bring it on!

Meanwhile l am going to stay at the end of Ramsey north prom tonight, overlooking the sea and harbour. l will wander over the swing bridge for a pint, then return to "wild camp" free of charge, gratis, nuffink, l love it!

Much better than growing a beard and wearing glasses, sat in a row of white euroboxes resembling a F.I.A.T. sales yard!

Craig (tosser)

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp

JJ

Ah! but JJ, your a BIG tosser and most would not want to upset you, he! he!

Doug...

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
They wouldn't like "travellers" anywhere near their famous golf course would they. Posh they are.

Many a true word spoken in jest :Smile:

Part of the problem is that some sections of the general public do not/can not/will not distinguish between illegal camp sites set up by so-called "travellers" and motorhomes staying in places overnight where it is either illegal or causes them a problem.

Graham

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
OT but did anyone watch I think bbc4 last night.. Richard Wilson in a splitty driving about Cornwall.. was ok..

:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back