Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2009
We and our tent friends want to wild camp somewhere near Cambridge for the weekend.

Suggestions welcome please.

The idea is they will tent under our awning so somewhere with grass and safe from the road for the dogs.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
What you are planning is the one thing that is guaranteed to upset the locals and give us all a bad reputation.

Wilding should be just that, nothing outside your van.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
We and our tent friends want to wild camp somewhere near Cambridge for the weekend.

The idea is they will tent under our awning so somewhere with grass and safe from the road for the dogs.

Unless you have the landowners permission you can't 'wild' with an awning and tent..
not in the UK anyway ..

Find a nice site and enjoy your visit.. :Smile:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
THATS NOT HOW IT'S DONE I KNOW LODS OF PLACES BUT I AM NOT TELLING YOU GO ON A CAMP SITE IF YOU WANT TO CAMP DONT SCREW IT UP FOR OTHERS :Doh:

OP
OP
Biggles

Biggles

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2009
THATS NOT HOW IT'S DONE I KNOW LODS OF PLACES BUT I AM NOT TELLING YOU GO ON A CAMP SITE IF YOU WANT TO CAMP DONT SCREW IT UP FOR OTHERS :Doh:

Really? Why?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Really? Why?

perhaps if you read this excellent guide to wild camping written by 'The Ringleader' it may become apparent.. particularly the 'Unwritten Rules to adhere to'

this one in particular ..

Don’t make a camp of it. Deck-chairs, awnings and windbreaks should not be used unless you are extremely remote and not overlooked.

Broken Link Removed

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Unfortunately what you are proposing is outside the realms of motorhome wild camping . The idea is to be unobtrusive.
You would not be able to carry out what you propose across the channel on aires.
I think you would be well advised to all book into a campsite together.

OP
OP
Biggles

Biggles

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2009
Staying on a campsite is my idea of hell. I have always wild camped accept once when it was a rally and the rally was the point not motor homing.

I have done it for years and know the rules I work by which by and large are the same as the artical. I never leave a trace that we were there other than tyre tracks.

I know some will disagree and I'm not going to argue my point as we all have different ideas.

I have a boat as well. In 10 years of boating on inland waterways I have very seldom moored on a paid marina accept to store my boat when not using it. Wild mooring has exactly the same "rules". I am well versed in self sufficiency even harvesting river water and processing into potable water 2000l at a time.

The point of this is I don't need a lecture on "your" interpretation of Wild Camping. The tent business is simply to be with our friends for one night that actually like tenting. We have 2 additional berths but they want tent.

So writing in large font red capitals is just plain RUDE and arrogant and seriously pisses me off!

Never have I been so outraged by a reply on MHF. Normally it's polite and balanced. It's my observation that any forum member that has several thousands of posts has little more in their lives than posting in forums looking for an opportunity to force their ill guided opinion on others. It's one stage down form trolling.

:Angry::Angry::Angry:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough

I opened this thread soon after you posted, my immediate thought was 'surely no', I had an image of a Itinerant layby clear as day. MH, awning, tents, windbreaks, dogs running loose

I decided not to reply at the time as I could see nothing to say that was not simply critical of your intentions

Based on the replies received I guess those at least had similar images in their minds, hence their criticism

It is hard to see how you could find anywhere to do what you propose without someone being deeply offended, I am not here to justify the content in the replies, all seemed valid to me, but I think the 'tone' reflected the disbelief in the main

if you do achieve this stopover as described, maybe you could post photos to show how / where you found

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I have done it for years and [HI]know the rules[/HI] I work by which by and large are the same as the artical. I never leave a trace that we were there other than tyre tracks.

The way I read it, you know the rules but are quite happy to break them .. the article makes it clear that having anything outside the van is not the way to wild camp..

You will do as you want anyway.. but remember, whatever you do can affect how the public perceive motorhomers in general.. not just you. .. that is why some get upset at your proposal.

Councils up and down the country are being put under pressure by disgruntled residents to ban motorhome parking completely.. more and more height barriers are being erected .. more TROs made, doing as you propose only gives them more ammunition..

I've heard the wild campers argument about campsites being hell .. in my experience that's not the case. Not saying they don't exist.. I wouldn't dream of camping on a big organised site with a club and music till dawn. My idea of hell.

Go to a quiet CL and you have the peace of the country , the space to do as you please, have a barbie.. relax and do it legally.. for as little as £7 per night.. cheaper than 24 hr parking.

Wilding is great in the correct setting.. away from the maddening crowds and far away from towns or villages.. but only if done within the unwritten rules.

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Picking up from Jim's post above, it is rather ironic that the area of choice is Cambridge.

Cambridge City Council and Cambridgeshire County Council have been very helpful over the years when I have asked for information for the MH Parking web site and, in general, have been sympathetic to our parking needs. Unfortunately they have suffered more than most authorities when it comes to unauthorised camping, especially incursions into the P&R sites, which is why motorhome parking near the city is confined to Trumpington P&R site.

Dealing with unauthorised camping has cost the taxpayers of Cambridge/Cambridgeshire thousands of pounds over the years. As a result, camping of the style proposed in the OP would do nothing but harm to motorhomers in general.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Staying on a campsite is my idea of hell.(snip)

That may well be the case but, like all of us, you live in a country where off site camping is regulated more than in some others.

There are still plenty of places where camping off site is legal (so long as it is done in a legal manner) but abusing the regulations is likely to result in individual penalty and/or general further restriction.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back