Wild Camping in the New Forest (1 Viewer)

S

Susana53

Deleted User
Hello everyone,
I am new to this website and wanted to ask your advice. Can anyone tell me what the rules are for overnight parking in the New Forest please?

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Susana

Welcome to MHFun

As far as I know, wildcamping is not allowed in the New Forest. There are several campsites available, but if you are not on one of them I am pretty sure that you will soon be moved on by the local police or Forest Rangers.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Doubt you'll get away with it but there are some super forestry sites available.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The Forestry Commission do not allow MH camping in their forests, apart from on recognised sites. See Here for details of their response specific to the New Forest.

Graham

Last edited:

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
you will only wild camp in forest if you have a transit van with a caravan on tow and do plastic guttering on the side :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
S

Susana53

Deleted User
Thanks to all the above for answering my question. It's good to know these things as we're going to the New Forest this weekend and have now booked into one of the sites.

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
It's been a while though - two and half years since it's full powers started.

What's sad about a national park for all to enjoy?

Graham

Hi Graham

We live here on the edge of the National Park but are still classed as being in it, being made a National Park has made our planning laws so much more stricter than before and a lot more paperwork to get even simple things done, the New Forest was always available for people to enjoy and so they should, but there is uproar here at present as they are now trying to greatly restrict use of the Forest for horsesriding and the walking of dogs among other things.

Regards Pat

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hi Graham

We live here on the edge of the National Park but are still classed as being in it, being made a National Park has made our planning laws so much more stricter than before and a lot more paperwork to get even simple things done, the New Forest was always available for people to enjoy and so they should, but there is uproar here at present as they are now trying to greatly restrict use of the Forest for horsesriding and the walking of dogs among other things.

Regards Pat

Hello Pat,

I appreciate that planning laws within national parks are stricter. I used to work for a Local Authority whose area was partly within the North York Moors National Park so came across the effect of them from time to time.

It's basically all down to a public interest test which tries to serve the best interests of the public at large - and, as always in such cases, some people lose privileges which they are used to. The best example, I suppose, comes from the first (Peak District) national park where private landowners lost the privilege of keeping the population at large off their land.

It's an unfortunate fact that the ways in which some horse and dog owners (and some MH owners) "enjoy" facilities is detrimental to the ability of other people (including horse/dog/MH owners) to enjoy those facilities and, as such, needs controlling.

Graham

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I was refused entry to the Setthorns site (which I and members of my family have visited for nearly thirty years) because my Iveco had no windows. They had let me stay there in the same vehicle the previous year but not now. We were gathering there as a family for a very sad reason but no... rules were rules.

I was so cross I parked on a layby adjacent to the site and walked in to visit. Stayed two days... no trouble (and no charge!)

Later in the year I visited the same site again with my newly acquired classic Hymer. No problem but I was surprised to see a windowless van on the next door pitch. It was allowed on because they had a tent...

Next time the Iveco goes on with a tent... they tell me this is fine providing I sleep in the tent not the van...

I ask you... what is the sense of it all? (Please don't give me the "They think you are a gypsy" reasoning. :)

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp

It's an unfortunate fact that the ways in which some horse and dog owners (and some MH owners) "enjoy" facilities is detrimental to the ability of other people (including horse/dog/MH owners) to enjoy those facilities and, as such, needs controlling.

Graham

I can see no circumstances when this has ever happened.

Since the C&CC took over the Forest sites they are now charging £1 a night for dogs, why? Is it that the powers that be think visiting dogs are fouling the forest? If so then why aren't the cow, pony, pig and chicken owner's also being charged per head of animal?
The main detrimental effects appear to be extended families 'picnicing' at weekends. Treating the forest as a city play park and leaving their detritious laying around when they depart.

In answer to the original question..."parking in the New Forest overnight, except in designated areas (official campsites) is not allowed.
However, arrive after dark, park discretely, move off early, no problem. Loads of truckers do it all the time.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

In answer to the original question..."parking in the New Forest overnight, except in designated areas (official campsites) is not allowed.
However, arrive after dark, park discretely, move off early, no problem. Loads of truckers do it all the time.

Sorry if you don't like my response but that sort of action has resulted in all motorhome parking being banned in some places.

By all means let us try constructively to show councils/others that there are benefits to providing facilities - but don't give them ammunition to back up claims that motorhome owners think they have a right to ignore restrictions just because they don't like them.

Graham

D

david1234

Deleted User
Since the C&CC took over the Forest sites they are now charging £1 a night for dogs,

since the c&cc have taken over hollands wood we dont go there? why because its now double the price it used to be.

so i never renewed my membership to c&cc or cc club.

what most people dont get with these clubs is they buy alot of sites up with your membership money then charge more for the use of the them.

same with national trust dont join any of them just dont use them.:Doh:

B

BuzzLand

Deleted User
It's been a while though - two and half years since it's full powers started.

What's sad about a national park for all to enjoy?

Graham

Why should a government decide where it's citizens can and can't sleep at night? That's why.

It's like we're having to pay to live and sleep in our own vehicles (already paid for with tax, mot and insurance) because the government wants us to all be funnelled into expensive b and b's/hotel car parks or campsites which are out to make money.
So for me the whole national park is more of a restricted park in my eyes. 'Yes you can come and stay, but you can't do a thing outside of what we say.'
So really I take a freeman on the land stance on this whole 'national park issue'; I'll park where I like and you can sod off :)

Last edited by a moderator:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Why should a government decide where it's citizens can and can't sleep at night? That's why.

It's like we're having to pay to live and sleep in our own vehicles (already paid for with tax, mot and insurance) because the government wants us to all be funnelled into expensive b and b's/hotel car parks or campsites which are out to make money.
So for me the whole national park is more of a restricted park in my eyes. 'Yes you can come and stay, but you can't do a thing outside of what we say.'
So really I take a freeman on the land stance on this whole 'national park issue'; I'll park where I like and you can sod off :)

This year is the 60th anniversary of the first national park - created well before the advent of widespread motorhome use and to protect the area for all to enjoy. Of course there are restrictions in national parks, they are there to enable the protection of the area.

What is wrong with businesses making money? Do you not do your job to make money? As for tax, MoT & insurance, they have nothing at all to do with the subject.

Several people have had that "freeman of the land" attitude in a number of places with the result that motorhomes have been banned not just overnight but also during the day.

The constructive stance is to provide evidence to local authorities of the benefits of providing facilities for motorhomes.

Graham

B

BuzzLand

Deleted User
This year is the 60th anniversary of the first national park - created well before the advent of widespread motorhome use and to protect the area for all to enjoy. Of course there are restrictions in national parks, they are there to enable the protection of the area.

What is wrong with businesses making money? Do you not do your job to make money? As for tax, MoT & insurance, they have nothing at all to do with the subject.

Several people have had that "freeman of the land" attitude in a number of places with the result that motorhomes have been banned not just overnight but also during the day.

The constructive stance is to provide evidence to local authorities of the benefits of providing facilities for motorhomes.

Graham

I'm all for people making moeny, but not at the skewed angle that's being put on people by basically rail-roading them into it.
The money we pay into our vehicles has everything to do with it mate.
Why should someone who has put a small fortune into their machine suddenly have to pay out again for the privilage to sleep in it?

So again I say the national forest is con job. You can go in but not actually sleep and enjoy the land in it's raw form that we've been born in.
You seem to favour an over-regulated nanny-state while some of us actually believe in small government which keeps out of our affairs. Thank god some of us our left to speak reason.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
(snip)Why should someone who has put a small fortune into their machine suddenly have to pay out again for the privilage to sleep in it?
(snip).

Because as well as individual rights we all have a responsibility to each other. If we were all to selfishly take what we want, just because we wanted it and whatever the detriment to others, then we would have anarchy.

That's not over regulation, it's basic consideration for other people.

Graham

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I fail to see what difference it makes if people sleep in their vans or not, national parks including EXmoor Dartmoor etc allow tenters, what exactly is the differance, why should we be discriminated against.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I fail to see what difference it makes if people sleep in their vans or not, national parks including EXmoor Dartmoor etc allow tenters, what exactly is the differance, why should we be discriminated against.

Come on Roger, we both know there is a deal of difference between a tent and a motorhome (of whatever size) :Smile:

As I said before, there are restrictions in national parks to enable the protection of the area. It may not be obvious that any detriment is caused by parking overnight but it could easily cause disturbance to nocturnal wildlife. Such disturbance occurs, of course, throughout the built environment so it is important for all of us that some areas are protected from that sort of intrusion.

Graham

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi, Graham

I think I'm with Roger on this one, while I can see the point you are trying to make, most people or certainly a lot of them actually use vehicles to get them near to where they pitch the tents, and as for the disturbance to nocturnal wildlife are you suggesting that people in tents won't also disturb these as well.

Albeit i can understand that for sites of natural beauty the parking of a great big motorhome may not be in anyone's interest, but neither are a row of tents some of which can be rather large, is there any restriction on the size of tents that can be used?

Come on Roger, we both know there is a deal of difference between a tent and a motorhome (of whatever size) :Smile:

As I said before, there are restrictions in national parks to enable the protection of the area. It may not be obvious that any detriment is caused by parking overnight but it could easily cause disturbance to nocturnal wildlife. Such disturbance occurs, of course, throughout the built environment so it is important for all of us that some areas are protected from that sort of intrusion.

Graham

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hi, Graham

I think I'm with Roger on this one, while I can see the point you are trying to make, most people or certainly a lot of them actually use vehicles to get them near to where they pitch the tents, and as for the disturbance to nocturnal wildlife are you suggesting that people in tents won't also disturb these as well.

Albeit i can understand that for sites of natural beauty the parking of a great big motorhome may not be in anyone's interest, but neither are a row of tents some of which can be rather large, is there any restriction on the size of tents that can be used?

Yes, there is a risk that people in tents will cause disturbance - but I would expect that the presence of a small tent would be rather less disturbing than a great big motorhome :Smile:

As far as I am aware (please correct me if I am wrong) the rules are similar to those in the Scottish Outdoor Access Code - see Here for references - which allow for lightweight tents only.

Graham

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi, Graham

I'm not sure that I agree with the point "less disturbing" as at least in a motorhome one would hope you take all of your waste away with you, I'm not to sure that people in tents do the same, (Behind Bushes etc.)

As for the rules regarding using tents you may well be right, I really have no idea of the conditions that apply, albeit one small one person tent may well be insignificant but I'm not sure that if that was multiplied by a group bunch of lads/lassies the same could be said.

I think we will have to agree to differ:ROFLMAO:

Yes, there is a risk that people in tents will cause disturbance - but I would expect that the presence of a small tent would be rather less disturbing than a great big motorhome :Smile:

As far as I am aware (please correct me if I am wrong) the rules are similar to those in the Scottish Outdoor Access Code - see Here for references - which allow for lightweight tents only.

Graham

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hi, Graham

I'm not sure that I agree with the point "less disturbing" as at least in a motorhome one would hope you take all of your waste away with you, I'm not to sure that people in tents do the same, (Behind Bushes etc.)

As for the rules regarding using tents you may well be right, I really have no idea of the conditions that apply, albeit one small one person tent may well be insignificant but I'm not sure that if that was multiplied by a group bunch of lads/lassies the same could be said.

I think we will have to agree to differ:ROFLMAO:

Probably right about agreeing to differ :ROFLMAO:

At least that waste (if it's what I think you mean) is biodegradeable :ROFLMAO:

It's actually interesting that there is a thread running on Motorhome Today at the moment about restrictions which have been brought in at Newgale Beach in Pembrokeshire as a result of abuse of facilities by some people. I suppose there can be a fine line between what does and does not constitute disturbance and judging when that line is crossed can thus be very difficult.

Graham

B

BuzzLand

Deleted User
Well all I see is a restricted and repressive system that seems to punish those who don't subscribe to the 'do as we say' mentality that is effectively illegal and against a citizens rights under common law.

You can argue against this all you want but the facts remain the facts. As long as you don't establish an encampment and be gone by the next day there's not much some government stooge can do apart from knock on your door and ask you to move on ;)

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
1984 ...

Stayed on a CC site a couple of weeks ago and the warden explained his problem was mainly tent users expanding their dormain onto adjoining pitches (extending entrance tunnels, cycle garages, loo tents, bbg screens etc :whatthe:).

Motorhomes usually stayed within their awning area, I was surprised, but look around, you will see he was right.

Make the most of it, people with agendas and a bit of power will probably ban breathing (Is there a tax on it yet?):winky:

Regards Richard

smifee

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
chandler's ford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
i live near, often walk in, take my MH into & sometimes work in the new forest.

i don't use campsites much.

when wildcamping outside the uk i can easily find places where i'm on my own & don't bother anyone. i presume i do this successfully as i have never been asked 'what are you doing here?'

travelling round i appear to be one of a minority because i see MHs wildcamping in groups some of them have been in one spot for weeks.

in the uk i tend to spend the day walking somewhere but often have to find a layby, industrial estate or pub car park to spend the night.

if wildcamping was allowed in the new forest there would be the odd loner tucked away but the majority would all crowd together like sheep upsetting the natives.

that's not what i want to see.

B

BuzzLand

Deleted User
i live near, often walk in, take my MH into & sometimes work in the new forest.

i don't use campsites much.

when wildcamping outside the uk i can easily find places where i'm on my own & don't bother anyone. i presume i do this successfully as i have never been asked 'what are you doing here?'

travelling round i appear to be one of a minority because i see MHs wildcamping in groups some of them have been in one spot for weeks.

in the uk i tend to spend the day walking somewhere but often have to find a layby, industrial estate or pub car park to spend the night.

if wildcamping was allowed in the new forest there would be the odd loner tucked away but the majority would all crowd together like sheep upsetting the natives.

that's not what i want to see.

People need to remember that we as Brits are citizens with rights, not peasants with privileges.
Yet like you say most folk tend to think like sheep and enjoy being led about like a slave. Is there any wonder all these 'statutes and regulations' have been fired at us?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back