Wild camping in the Lakes (1 Viewer)

SharonS

Free Member
Jun 21, 2018
Funster No
Hiya..New to this thread but just wondering if anyone has tips of great places to wild camp in the Lakes in a campervan..I've seen some earlier threads mentioning lists of recommended places but can't seem to find any list thanks on advance

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
:pink:..... you’ll find it difficult for people to give you their favourite wild camping spots anywhere....

But do searches and look on google maps for places but mostly people stumble across the best ones...(y)

OP
OP
SharonS

SharonS

Free Member
Jun 21, 2018
Funster No
Hmm..sorry I seem to have misjudged this forum site..apologies for asking happy camping peeps

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
check out the resources section, some poi's and pub stops in there

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I can think of a few places that might suit you.
One is at Shap down by the old Shap abbey there is a small car park. There is a small wooden chalet there but I've never seen anyone near it so I can't imagine that you'd be annoying anyone. There is a farm just over the bridge & a shepherds house on the road down to the abbey, so usual rules apply, leave it clean & tidy or possibly even tidier than you found it.
Another is perhaps a little bit outside the Lakes but still very much in Cumbria & that's up on Caldbeck Common, the views are fabulous, perfect phone signal, 4G internet signal & beautiful view over Carlisle & on over to Scotland.

Hope this helps...Robert.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Please don't camp in any if the car parks owned by the Lake District National Park Authority. Daytime parking of motorhomes is allowed but not overnight camping.

AMK

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
gainsborough
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2014
If you have a smart phone download park for night or try search for sites, there is plenty wild camping spots about.

Good look and enjoy the lakes.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Dear fellow funsters, do we really want to be welcoming unsubscibed people with the information of above?
I have reported on here of the rental renegades taking up and abusing wild camping spots.
No disrespect to the new member ( unsubscribed) but to come on here with the question suggests they could be renting a van for summer.

If we give these guys the wherewithall to wildcamp then we will ruin it for us all.

If a subscibed member asks the question, i usually send a pm with the info they are looking for.

Please don't put info on open forum that can be used without subscription.

OP
OP
SharonS

SharonS

Free Member
Jun 21, 2018
Funster No
Apologies that I seem.to have offended you Bobby22 by asking a very legit question. I am a respectable person and did not join this thread and ask my question with a view to abusing any information I was supplied with.

I appreciate the friendly and positive replies that I received...but feel slightly concerned about the many negative replies that insinuate that I am a bit dodgy asking for the info.

As it happens we managed to find a fab off road spot ourselves and thoroughly enjoyed our one night in the Lake District.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Apologies that I seem.to have offended you Bobby22 by asking a very legit question. I am a respectable person and did not join this thread and ask my question with a view to abusing any information I was supplied with.

I appreciate the friendly and positive replies that I received...but feel slightly concerned about the many negative replies that insinuate that I am a bit dodgy asking for the info.

As it happens we managed to find a fab off road spot ourselves and thoroughly enjoyed our one night in the Lake District.

Oh you’ll fit right on in here..... pay and join the fun for some more banter......(y)

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013

Hi @SharonS no need for apologies you did not offend me at all. If you are a regular reader of this forum you will in fact have read of undesirables abusing the countryside with emptying cassette toilets and the like.

If we as a community give out the info you required, we are giving it to every tom dick and harry that reads the thread. If you subscribe to the forum all the information you are looking for is listed in the "resources section" and you can download it all.

Glad you enjoyed your trip to the lakes.

:pink::welcome3::welcome4:

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Dear fellow funsters, do we really want to be welcoming unsubscibed people with the information of above?
I have reported on here of the rental renegades taking up and abusing wild camping spots.
No disrespect to the new member ( unsubscribed) but to come on here with the question suggests they could be renting a van for summer.

If we give these guys the wherewithall to wildcamp then we will ruin it for us all.

If a subscibed member asks the question, i usually send a pm with the info they are looking for.

Blimey. Some folk would think you own the forum with that reply. Chill.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I can see your point Bobby but I suspect that very few would see the info in reality, despite this being the most popular MH forum ... in the world ... probably! :D2

If funsters want to help a newbie, even an unsubscribed one, then that is their choice, I would rather help someone than not. :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi @SharonS ... and welcome (hopefully!) to the forum! :)

I think what has concerned some funsters is that occasionally people only join to 'get' something free and then disappear after their 5 free posts, with no intention of supporting the forum/other members by joining, so when the first post is from someone wanting a specific thing/info it can make some funsters a bit twitchy, others just take it at face value as a simple request with no ill-intentions, and a few are paranoid.:confused:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
as in this thread ?
Give her a chance, she only posted yesterday! After the response she got from some funsters I'm not sure I'd want to join! o_O Fortunately the vast majority aren't so 'negative'. :)

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
7B2DDB48-F8A8-4FF7-AC85-3C8305DA468A.gif
7E9DF5B6-F1A6-4120-ABB5-6526881150C1.gif

Join us or log in to post a reply.