Wild camping in Cornwall !( And Devon on the way down ) (1 Viewer)

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Now that the Summer rush is over, we are contemplating a few days in Cornwall wild camping, BritStops and the occasional campsite.:party2:

I have previously stayed at Kynance Cove, Godrevy and Trevose Head !:cooler:

I would appreciate any other suggestions from funsters as to where we can rest our weary heads !:notworthy2:

Many thanks.......Stephen & Jeannie.

OP
OP
Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Exp
9 years !!!!
Sep 25, 2012
West Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
13 Years, 20 years with a caravan
Colliford Lake Temple Fisheries Bodmin. There is a car park overlooking the Lake. We stopped one night on the way home as it started snowing. Often take the Motorhome up there for the day. It's on the A30 and there is a sign for it. There is also a campsite just prior to the car park.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi , Tintagel allows overnight parking in there car parks , cant remember if £3 or £5. also St Agnes head just down hill from the CC c/site car park for wheal coates tin mine.

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
Top of porlock hill exmoor,excellent views and very quite except for the exmoor ponies,
Bude Cornwall car park next to fire station, close to beach and town
About £5 for twenty four hours,

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
There is a lorry Park cum lay-by just after the Lee Mill turnoff on the A38 if you need to stop just before crossing the border. Give you time to sort out passports etc. It will be a bit noisy but there is often a MH parked there.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi, I forgot one, Marazion seafront used to be ok for an overnight stop alongside the wall, not sure if it still is. If not the car park by the causeway to st michaels mount allows overnight parking for a £5 , got to be gone by 10 o clock.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lord Mac

Free Member
Feb 5, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I'm a newbie
There are several laybyes on the OLD A30 between Exeter and Honiton. I have seen motorhomes parked near the Fairmile dip. You are then only as few miles from the M5

OP
OP
Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Exp
9 years !!!!
Stopping overnight on Sunday at The Boat and Anchor pub just of the M5 at Huntworth, that's the one you an see just before junction 24 ! With it's name on the roof !:cheers::cheers::cheers:
Then onto Tintagel.

iceni

Free Member
Dec 3, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Lowline Coachbuilt
Exp
27yrs
We used to stop on the a30 at two bridges just about 8 miles out of Launceston. You go down a long hill and in the bottom theres a laybye and looks and a cafe. As you enter the laybye turn LEFT. theres a secure parking area there on hardstanding. Until me and the missus split up in Nov we stayed there every year for the last 20 yrs. Back on the a30 and up the hill next morning.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
There is a lorry Park cum lay-by just after the Lee Mill turnoff on the A38 if you need to stop just before crossing the border. Give you time to sort out passports etc. It will be a bit noisy but there is often a MH parked there.
think you now have to apply for a visa to visit cornwall . if anyone would like to come down please pm me and i can give them an address for a swiss bank acount to send the fee. i can organise it so you wont have any problem at the border .

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
...and then having got your visa, but this only lets you IN, you have to pay us even more for us to let you back across the Tamar.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
sshhh dont let them know about leaving .
before then i could do my other work as the highway man and take all their posh jewelry and things .
we can share the children as i cant eat more than one at a time .

Reactions: DBK

kelv

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2014
leicester
Funster No
MH
Carthago 145
Exp
Mevagissey car park allows overnight parking not been for a couple of years used to be £8 a night great spot

simply

Free Member
Apr 24, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Renault Trafic
Exp
Newcomer
Stopping overnight on Sunday at The Boat and Anchor pub just of the M5 at Huntworth, that's the one you an see just before junction 24 ! With it's name on the roof !:cheers::cheers::cheers:
Then onto Tintagel.
When I went in there they had pâté on the menu and before ordering I enquired as to what sort of pâté it was. After much muttering behind the bar and then disappearing into the kitchen the response I got was simply "coarse" !

OP
OP
Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Exp
9 years !!!!
image.jpg This is the cheapest and the best parking in Tintagel, right opposite the Spar shop !image.jpg

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Just the mention of Tintagel always makes me smile.
Mother in car parked next to us, to 10-year-old boy: "Put that sword down and drink your milk"

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi, Personally I prefer the last car par on the right in Tintagel , past the lane to the castle about 50 yards, very quiet tarmac or grass with nice views inland.
50.664755, -4.753148

Nov 13, 2013
cornwall
Funster No
MH
autocruise
Exp
3 years and not long enough
Hi, I forgot one, Marazion seafront used to be ok for an overnight stop alongside the wall, not sure if it still is. If not the car park by the causeway to st michaels mount allows overnight parking for a £5 , got to be gone by 10 o clock.
Sorry but the parking along marazion sea front along the wall was changed to a cycle path by cornwall council......total waste of money, lots of local objection to it but they went ahead anyway......you have to see it to believe it.
You can park in the car park across from St Michaels by the causeway but only at night....have to be gone by 9.30ish. The beach car park at Long rock is only £1 for 24 hours but you cant sleep in your vehicle:whistle::sleep:;) , but the view is great

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
It was reported I do hear tell that a mate of a mate of the guy three times removed that runs the spar shop at Tintagel was Gassed by Cornish piskies ..so beware but have a great time :D

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Sorry but the parking along marazion sea front along the wall was changed to a cycle path by cornwall council......total waste of money, lots of local objection to it but they went ahead anyway......you have to see it to believe it.
You can park in the car park across from St Michaels by the causeway but only at night....have to be gone by 9.30ish. The beach car park at Long rock is only £1 for 24 hours but you cant sleep in your vehicle:whistle::sleep:;) , but the view is great
i was at the council meeting a couple of years ago when it was decided to do that. there was the local campsite folk and several locals wanting it done .
i was the only person there arguing for it to stay as it was.
there is a thread somewhere on here about it .

Vimbus

Free Member
Oct 31, 2014
Falmouth
Funster No
MH
Pop Top Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2008
You can overnight at the beach car park at Praa sands between Helston and Penzance, forget how much it is but there is a nice restaurant come pub on the beach if you don't fancy cooking

A few people wild down at maenporth beach too although best to clear off before the cafe owner arrives in the morning

Ducto

Free Member
May 19, 2018
M Devon
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Campervan since 2003
We used to stop on the a30 at two bridges just about 8 miles out of Launceston. You go down a long hill and in the bottom theres a laybye and looks and a cafe. As you enter the laybye turn LEFT. theres a secure parking area there on hardstanding. Until me and the missus split up in Nov we stayed there every year for the last 20 yrs. Back on the a30 and up the hill next morning.

Hope you behave yourself there!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back